The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   dip stick (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55508)

juice 09-15-2010 10:15 PM

dip stick

I keep finding my engine oil dip stick popped up about an inch wtf, should I care? and how do I stop it?

kwren 09-15-2010 10:37 PM

Re: dip stick

a new "0" ring to replace the old one usually works.

Keith:cool:

1986nate 09-16-2010 12:36 AM

And if the o-ring doesn't fix it, then the PCV valve needs replacing.

Manarius 09-16-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 657979)
And if the o-ring doesn't fix it, then the PCV valve needs replacing.

Not what I wanted to hear Nate. :mad:

I don't particularly want to try to replace that darn thing.

Rodolfo 09-16-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juice (Post 657964)
I keep finding my engine oil dip stick popped up about an inch wtf, should I care? and how do I stop it?

How about rigging up a counterweight? Perhaps with a used oil filter, or an old visor, or both...

1986nate 09-16-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 657991)

Well if it makes you feel any better, you could try cleaning it out instead:bash:

Manarius 09-16-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 657998)
Well if it makes you feel any better, you could try cleaning it out instead:bash:

Just getting to the thing is trouble enough. I just bought the tools at Harbor Freight, will probably try to do it tomorrow.

SoCal LS-L 09-16-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 658006)
Just getting to the thing is trouble enough. I just bought the tools at Harbor Freight, will probably try to do it tomorrow.

I havent done mine for fear of the hose going to it breaking, since its so brittle.

Huskymaniac 09-16-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 658013)
I havent done mine for fear of the hose going to it breaking, since its so brittle.

Can't the hose be replaced?

Mike621 09-16-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 658014)
Can't the hose be replaced?

The hose is easily replaced. Take off your snorkus and break the bank at approx $13~ from Subaru. Don't be a cheap-a** and replace the hose and PCV. Parts cost <$20

Manarius 09-16-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

In my experience, they don't usually break. Maybe yours is far more brittle than my own, but all those hard rubber lines running around in my engine seem to be in pretty good shape still.

Mike621 09-16-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 658018)
In my experience, they don't usually break. Maybe yours is far more brittle than my own, but all those hard rubber lines running around in my engine seem to be in pretty good shape still.

Jason,

If they are hard, it is probably time to replace them. :) About 6ft of washer/vac tubing, 3 ft of FI hose (going from the filter to the manifold) degreaser, and a new pcv are your friends! :D

kwren 09-16-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 657991)

Then simply replace the "0" ring:confused:

Keith:cool:

SoCal LS-L 09-16-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 658016)
The hose is easily replaced. Take off your snorkus and break the bank at approx $13~ from Subaru. Don't be a cheap-a** and replace the hose and PCV. Parts cost <$20

I never really looked at it too close, its that easy eh? Maybe this will be like my spark plugs and be a total slam dunk after procrastinating about it for 6 weeks.

Does this H6 do anything specific to alert you when the PCV is clogged? Oil in the intake snork? My ex girlfriends 84 GL used to DUMP oil into the air cleaner housing so much that it soaked a good portion of the filter itself.

oab_au 09-16-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 658023)
I never really looked at it too close, its that easy eh? Maybe this will be like my spark plugs and be a total slam dunk after procrastinating about it for 6 weeks.

Does this H6 do anything specific to alert you when the PCV is clogged? Oil in the intake snork? My ex girlfriends 84 GL used to DUMP oil into the air cleaner housing so much that it soaked a good portion of the filter itself.

Yes Chris, that is what it does.:)Pushing the dipstick up is the first sign of the crankcase building up a positive pressure.

The PCV valve will only vent the crankcase at Idle and at part throttle. There needs to be some vacuum present in the inlet manifold, to open the valve. At idle the vacuum is strong to pull the valve to a restricted flow position, at part throttle it is opened wider to suck the fumes into the inlet, but at full throttle position there is no manifold vacuum, so the valve is virtually closed.

The crankcase pressure is then vented through the cam cover breathers into each side of the air duct. The two hoses are joined together by a pipe that runs through the box to emerge out the right hand end, to connect to the air delivery pipe, to be pulled into the engine through the throttle bodies.

As the engine wears and there is more crankcase blow-by, the amount of gas flow is higher and has more oil mist. This will block the small passages that are in the air box pipes to restrict the pressure flow, and allow the case to build up enough pressure to push the dipstick up, and push oil out gaskets and oil seals.

So the dipstick 'pop-up', not only says that the PCV valve needs cleaning, it also says the the cam. breather passages are also restricted.

Harvey.