The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   cruise control button works intermittently (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29190)

hpcsvx 10-26-2005 11:25 AM

cruise control button works intermittently

When i push in cc button, light sometimes comes on, sometimes doesnt. When light comes on, cc works great. If no light, no cc. How difficult is it to replace the switch? Thanks in advance.

Haven

pipedream 10-26-2005 11:32 AM

No help here- But just adding, I've experienced this behavior since I first got my '92 svx... You've gotta punch in the CC a couple times to get it activate.

It barely rates as a bother in comparison to some of the **** that can go wrong on the car, so I haven't really looked into it.

I'll watch this thread though. :)

Hocrest 10-26-2005 12:11 PM

Pull the cap and try some good electrical contact cleaner.

ensteele 10-26-2005 02:19 PM

This is a very common problem with the CC switch. You just have to push it until the light comes on. Its not like you are doing anything besides driving any way. :rolleyes: ;) :) :)

If you get a new cluster of switches, it may have the same problem. I have found that the more I use it, the more it works on the first try. :) :)

dcarrb 10-26-2005 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I have found that the more I use it, the more it works on the first try. :) :)

Hey, so I'm not the only one! Mine barely worked at all when I bought the car (which had been sitting on a dealer's lot for awhile), and now it works the first time, most every time. But if I don't use it for a few weeks I can count on having to press it repeatedly.

dcb

ensteele 10-26-2005 02:27 PM

Like they say: "If you don't use it, you loose it !!!" :D :D :D

wasions 10-26-2005 04:20 PM

The indicator light also went out on mine, and I'm too lazy to fix it, so I have to push the button, and try to set, and push the button, and try to set, and push the button, and try to set, and.... :rolleyes: I can usually set it within a few seconds.

immortal_suby 10-26-2005 05:16 PM

Push it in and hold for a little instead of a quick jab. Works for me.

ensteele 10-26-2005 06:19 PM

Steve - you should really fix Kermits light! :D :D

Rotorflyr 10-27-2005 01:55 AM

I've found with mine that if I don't push it all the way in it engages nicely, just about the first shot every time. It's barely a bother so I haven't looked into doing anything about it, but eventually will try contact cleaner.
Im not a huge fan of cruise control anyway....... ;)

hpcsvx 10-27-2005 10:35 AM

how to take cap off switch?

Thanks for all the input. One reply mentioned taking the cap off and spraying with contact cleaner. How does the cap come off? Do I just pry it off with a small screwdriver? Does it then pop back on, or do you have to glue it in place.

Thanks for the help!
Haven

wasions 10-27-2005 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Steve - you should really fix Kermits light! :D :D

:o Heheh.

Good grief, Earl. Twelve?! That's like about 20% of the viable SVX's left in the world. :eek:

Seraph 10-27-2005 06:53 PM

You should also check the vaccume hose under the hood of the car too. If that is leaking, cruise will not work.