The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New STi 6 speed MT Breaking (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18480)

cdigerlando 05-05-2004 02:53 PM

New STi 6 speed MT Breaking

There is a big discussion going on at the Nasioc Group regarding 5th gear falures (unusual) on the STi. There are a lot of them! A real bummer for all of us looking for beefier transmissions. Makes me glad I did the Level 10 upgrade. I would suggest if you got em don't beat on em. I would also use a good synthetic gear oil as well. This has to help, even though Subaru won't admit it. Make sure it is GL-5 rated for the WRX tranny.

mbtoloczko 05-05-2004 03:48 PM

Also, I seem to recall Mike (Green1995SVX) mentioning a while back there there were also some issues with gears grinding on the 6MT. Here's the thread:

<http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=16144>

In the NASIOC thread, a guy who has seen the guts of a grinding 6MT suggests that its due to the nylon pads on the shift forks getting torn apart.

cdigerlando 05-05-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Also, I seem to recall Mike (Green1995SVX) mentioning a while back there there were also some issues with gears grinding on the 6MT. Here's the thread:

<http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=16144>

In the NASIOC thread, a guy who has seen the guts of a grinding 6MT suggests that its due to the nylon pads on the shift forks getting torn apart.

Yes but I have not heard what the solution costs yet.

Phast SVX 05-05-2004 06:07 PM

ive had zero problems with my forseter 5mt and it shifts a HELL of a lot smoother then any WRX ive driven(which is a handfull)
phil

NomadTW 05-05-2004 06:39 PM

forester 5mt is sti type RA trans... it IS much beefier

mbtoloczko 05-05-2004 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NomadTW
Forester gear ratios do not match either STi RA v5/6 or STi v5/6 gear ratios. They exactly match the WRX gear ratios which suggests the Forester gears have the same tooth count as the WRX gears. This would mean that the Forester gear teeth are not as beefy as the STi or STi RA gear teeth. I guess the Forester gears could be wider like some of the STi and STi RA gears, but I have not seen any proof of that yet. Have you? As for the synchros, the 2004 WRX basically uses STi RA synchros (most of the part numbers for the WRX synchros are an exact match to the STi RA synchros), so its a reasonable bet that the Forester has the same synchros as the WRX.

alacrity024 05-06-2004 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NomadTW
holy crap! really?! which year foresters?

svxsubaru1 05-06-2004 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024

holy crap! really?! which year foresters?

Supposibley the new new reinforced 5spd in the forseter turbo uses the old sti box. I cant find the disscusion on nasioc about the 6spd breaking, which fourm is it in.

mbtoloczko 05-06-2004 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxsubaru1

Supposibley the new new reinforced 5spd in the forseter turbo uses the old sti box. I cant find the disscusion on nasioc about the 6spd breaking, which fourm is it in.

I checked out the part numbers for the Forester gears/synchros. The '04 Forester XT and the '04 WRX have all the same gears and synchros (with the exception of the r&p). Many of these part numbers are updated from the pre '04 WRX part numbers. Some of the synchros part numbers correspond to synchro part numbers for the STi RA v5/6 synchros, but none of the '04 Forester XT or WRX gear part numbers match up with either STi RA v5/6 or STi v5/6 gear part numbers. Its not to say that the '04 XT/WRX gears are not somehow stronger, but they are definitely not STi gears.

Matthewmongan 05-06-2004 08:05 PM

mrt makes a 5sp gear set the is rated at 186 mph its their street/drag gear set it can handel anything we throw at it

svxsubaru1 05-06-2004 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthewmongan
mrt makes a 5sp gear set the is rated at 186 mph its their street/drag gear set it can handel anything we throw at it
Including our check book.:D I think the gear sets are alone around $3000, you can buy a whole rebuilt 5spd, with a front limited slip, helicut gears and syncros, for $5000, but it can take over 600 whp. Some dragracer made it for the WRX. Forgot the person but it was disscused on the ultimate subaru mesage board.

LarryIII 05-07-2004 04:32 AM

Just a thought.

The new 2005 Legacy & Outback, with the turbo 250 HP 2.5L engine, will have a 5EAT transmission with manual shift capability. Maybe this is the tranny we should look at as a replacement for ours, for those that want to keep an automatic.

svxsubaru1 05-07-2004 09:42 AM

I heard that the 5spd auto was designed around the twin turbo charged 3 liter 400 horse concept car that subaru may make. So hopefully its extremly strong. The wiring would definitly be the hardest part, sence that trannie is controled by a obo2 and our cars or most of them are obo1.

Phast SVX 05-07-2004 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Just a thought.

The new 2005 Legacy & Outback, with the turbo 250 HP 2.5L engine, will have a 5EAT transmission with manual shift capability. Maybe this is the tranny we should look at as a replacement for ours, for those that want to keep an automatic.

Not directly on topic, but my dad just bought a new 240hp 5speed auto accord. the car is glorious, feels like you are in a mercedes, has traction control, xm radio, leather, wonderful car. and for a great price to, he worked them down to 24k!(sticker is 29,500!)
I am personally looking forward to the new legacy, im just worried about the size of thecockpit.

phil

wawazat?? 05-07-2004 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Phast SVX

I am personally looking forward to the new legacy, im just worried about the size of thecockpit.

phil

My wife and I fit comfortably in the new Lagacy at the NAIAS this January, Phil.

I'm 6'3", 260 and she's 5'10" (and I know better than to say anything more:eek: :D ).

Todd