The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best way to clean engine bay??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16614)

foresvx 02-20-2004 08:59 PM

Best way to clean engine bay???

I have performed a search on "cleaning engine bay" and did not find the answer to my question.

What methods and products have you guys and gals used to clean the engine bay?

What things do I have to watch out for, cover up, remove, etc. to keep from messing things up?

FYI, the engine bay has never been cleaned since purchased in '92. Have lived on several gravel roads and lots of miles, just over 202,000.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Seraph 02-20-2004 10:03 PM

I am looking for a good steam cleaner. My car needs it bad.

drivemusicnow 02-20-2004 10:50 PM

steam would definatly be the best... i've heard "simple green" some scrubbing and a power washer used carefully do some good too... otherwise, shell out the 25$ and have it detailed at any carwash/detailing center

Seraph 02-20-2004 10:55 PM

Know anyone in Chicagoland with a good high pressure steam cleaner? (No not the cheap crap you see on tv every night).

ensteele 02-20-2004 11:42 PM

If you spray a lot of water into the engine bay, cover up the alternator. It needs to stay dry. I have used some of the orange products that degrease and they work pretty well. I also have used Simple Green and it works good too. You may have to do it several times. I have used a low pressure pressure washer after using the clearer on the car with hot water, and it works pretty good. :)

NapaBavarian 02-21-2004 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
Know anyone in Chicagoland with a good high pressure steam cleaner? (No not the cheap crap you see on tv every night).

Mine cost $6,000- but I'm in California :( 24 horsepower, 4500psi, 5.5 GPM and 900lbs wet:D if I was a hunter I would definatly take it with me to skin the poor buck. Does that quallify as "not cheap"?

mohrds 02-21-2004 07:36 AM

Simple Green Rocks. A steam cleaner would be great, I wonder if you can get close to thos results by running super hot water through a pressure washer???

Doug

Seraph 02-21-2004 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
Simple Green Rocks. A steam cleaner would be great, I wonder if you can get close to thos results by running super hot water through a pressure washer???

Doug

UN uses them at their shops. If you get too close, you can even bust small pipes from the super heated steam. Steam cleaner will clean better than simple green. I have simple green but in my car, I need a better solution.

L

Seraph 02-21-2004 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NapaBavarian

Mine cost $6,000- but I'm in California :( 24 horsepower, 4500psi, 5.5 GPM and 900lbs wet:D if I was a hunter I would definatly take it with me to skin the poor buck. Does that quallify as "not cheap"?

That's what we are talking about. Why do you have to live in CA?

NapaBavarian 02-21-2004 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph

That's what we are talking about. Why do you have to live in CA?

When it's 400 below zero in the north east and only frezing out on the west coast ask me again:D I have a hard enough time with the 3 months of winter out here, San Diego looks reel nice right about now :) I'll take a picture of the monster later today, only way I've found to peal gum off the sidewalk, it just roles off! When I pull the triger it kicks like a shotgun:p

NapaBavarian 02-22-2004 04:08 PM

Pictures of my big tool in my locker :)

mranderson 02-22-2004 09:30 PM

Gunk engine degreaser is the best thing i have ever used. Works much better than the green stuff from my experience.

Landshark 02-23-2004 03:46 AM

i bought the wife a 'Steam Shark' for Christmas......;)

works pretty good.

dcarrb 02-23-2004 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
If you spray a lot of water into the engine bay, cover up the alternator.... :)

In addition, the owner's manual advises that high-pressure spraying around the top of the power steering pump should be avoided, as the cap is vented.

dcb

lee 02-23-2004 06:34 AM

I like the citrus-based cleaners over simple green. Petroleum based cleaners should be avoided if possible because they degrade the coatings on wires & hoses - but they do clean better. Citrus-based does pretty good on all but thick "gunked" up stuff and, is environmentally a better solution (or so I've been told, but then I've been told a lot of BS over my life I've fallen for, so....).

One thing to keep in mind all the serious cleaners (citrus, SG, etc) will also strip off wax. Salt region owners might want to get something like a quick detail spray wax and hit the fender wells and firewall metal surfaces.