The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just Venting (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1206)

Chad 08-16-2001 09:47 PM

Just Venting

Well, just thought I would vent here.

About a month ago I found out that my A/C didn't work. The dealership told me "$300 and we'll look for leaks in the evaporator case" They had already pumped 2 lbs of r-12 in and it leaked right out. That cost me $200. I got ripped off, never mind having to drive 60 miles each way to a Subaru shop.

Debating over the thought of spending the $300 I went down to a local shop (Chev-bro-lay) and asked if they could do a leak test. They said "Sure. Our labor rate is only $45." They did the leak test, charged me $24 and said "Yup, it's the evaporator"

SO. I get a used evaporator from a parts yard in Virginia for 50 bucks, install it myself (there was no r-12 in it anyway) and took it back down (today).

They vacuum check the system, and all looks good. They start pumping in the r-12 and......blow out the compressor seal. They lost 4 oz of freon and don't charge me a thing.

Well.....found a used compressor in-state for $150 shipped to my door. They even tested it (don't know how?) before calling me back and telling me it was good.

SO....Hopefully early next week I'll get the compressor and get it installed and filled.....I gotta tell ya, it's been warm without the A/C. (100+ all week)

Other than that, all is well. Ordered a used starter too. I think the solenoid is going bad......does the "click, click" thing.

Aredubjay 08-16-2001 10:04 PM

Re: Just Venting

Quote:

Originally posted by Chad

About a month ago I found out that my A/C didn't work. The dealership told me "$300 and we'll look for leaks in the evaporator case" They had already pumped 2 lbs of r-12 in and it leaked right out. That cost me $200. I got ripped off, never mind having to drive 60 miles each way to a Subaru shop.

Debating over the thought of spending the $300 I went down to a local shop (Chev-bro-lay) and asked if they could do a leak test. They said "Sure. Our labor rate is only $45." They did the leak test, charged me $24 and said "Yup, it's the evaporator"

SO. I get a used evaporator from a parts yard in Virginia for 50 bucks, install it myself (there was no r-12 in it anyway) and took it back down (today).

They vacuum check the system, and all looks good. They start pumping in the r-12 and......blow out the compressor seal. They lost 4 oz of freon and don't charge me a thing.

Well.....found a used compressor in-state for $150 shipped to my door. They even tested it (don't know how?) before calling me back and telling me it was good.

SO....Hopefully early next week I'll get the compressor and get it installed and filled.....I gotta tell ya, it's been warm without the A/C. (100+ all week)

Other than that, all is well. Ordered a used starter too. I think the solenoid is going bad......does the "click, click" thing.

Chad, that's what we're here for, bud. We can understand -- better than anyone else. Vent on. You'll have to listen to my rants later, so, it's all reciprocal. :D

vkykam 08-17-2001 07:14 AM

Re: Re: Just Venting

Later?

Have you already concluded and given up to the fact that days before a big meet something will happen to your car?

So when's Snowshoe II and Autofest coming up again? :D

VK

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Chad, that's what we're here for, bud. We can understand -- better than anyone else. Vent on. You'll have to listen to my rants later, so, it's all reciprocal. :D

1994SubaruSVX 08-17-2001 09:50 AM

i had a leak recently and had to get some...

damn o-ring replaced. i love this car but its quirks are beginning to take its toll on me. i have got one more guy i can take it to for the suspension gremlins i am having. if he can not permanently fix whatever is happening i am selling my svx.:(

Mr. Pockets 08-17-2001 10:09 AM

Re: Just Venting

Quote:

Chad, what year is your SVX? I can't say for the '92s, but my '93 uses R134a, which is considerably (and artificially) cheaper than R12. I don't even know what kind of complications are involved when you put in the wrong coolant, but it at least cost you more money, if that was the case.

There's a sticker under the hood that will tell you what coolant is in the car. I have to drive to the dealer over lunch anyway - I'll look for it...

Chad 08-17-2001 10:24 AM

r-12

My 92 uses r-12 and the retrofit kit won't help me with a bad compressor.

After I have replaced everything and then get the retrofit kit, I'd still be paying more for the retrofit kit then I would to have the system charged with r-12

Mr. Pockets 08-17-2001 12:37 PM

Re: r-12

Quote:

My 92 uses r-12 and the retrofit kit won't help me with a bad compressor.

After I have replaced everything and then get the retrofit kit, I'd still be paying more for the retrofit kit then I would to have the system charged with r-12

I wasn't trying to sell you on a retrofit kit - I was wondering if you're sure the '92 uses R12, since my '93 uses R134a.

nubs 08-17-2001 02:10 PM

R-12

The 92's do use R-12,unless someone has already had it converted. If so there should be some kind of sticker placed in the engine compartment to say so.