The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   help plz! what to do with my svx?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36916)

SubaN00b 01-11-2007 02:18 PM

help plz! what to do with my svx??

Hi all, I havent posted much at all really but i frequently refer to the site. So here's the deal, I bought my '92 teal (175k miles) a little less than 6 months ago. Immediately i sunk money into it fixing the exhaust pipes, rack and pinion steering, and brake lines. Aside from all this it ran fine until the engine began smoking and shut off on me one day. After it had cooled down, I couldnt start it again. The subaru dealer i took it to said i need new 1. timing belt 2. water pump and 3. idler pulleys for a total of about $1300 ($800 for parts and $500 for labor).

Well I can't afford this so its now sitting in my driveway where I am forced to look sadly at it each day. My options are parting it out, junking it, attempting to fix it myself, or selling it to a guy from the subaru dealer that offered me $200. Seriously, any advice, opinions, similar stories, etc...consolation would be greatly appreciated.

SVXRide 01-11-2007 02:22 PM

Sell it to TOMSSVX!
-Bill

davew833 01-11-2007 02:55 PM

$1300 for a timing belt/water pump???!!! Come ON now-- if you're at all mechanically inclined, there's lots of good information/help on this board on how to replace the timing belt. Even if you don't do it yourself, I'm guessing there are independent shops that will do it for less than $1300. I certainly wouldn't sell it to some guy from the 'stealer'ship for $200, who would probably put a few hundred into it, and then sell it and make a grand. Seriously, timing belt replacement's not that big of a deal.

DanSVX94 01-11-2007 03:05 PM

I recommend contacting TomsSVX in Philly to see if he can fix it for you. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a timing belt and waterpump lying around with more than a little life left in it :)

At subaruparts.com you can get the timing belt and water pump together for about $200.

wannarace928 01-11-2007 03:19 PM

I have to agree with DanSVX94, it shouldnt cost more than 200$ for a timing belt/water pump. I am currently doing this on a porsche and the parts for it where less than 180$. If you have any friends that know how to work on cars you could have a take apart/put back together party.

TomsSVX 01-11-2007 05:07 PM

I can send ya a timing belt, water pump and a full set of idlers if you want... TO be honest, contact svxfiles, he is closer to pitts than I am and he does excellent work at a more than honest price

Tom

SSSVX 01-11-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I can send ya a timing belt, water pump and a full set of idlers if you want... TO be honest, contact svxfiles, he is closer to pitts than I am and he does excellent work at a more than honest price

Tom

That was my thought before I read this. Contact svxfiles, he could help you with a much better price. He can probably bring those parts and work on your car at your place. Plus, he also has family in Pitts, sometimes he goes there . .

Mrs.Budfreak 01-11-2007 11:34 PM

My husband Budfreak can help you out too.:) I sent you a PM.

ensteele 01-12-2007 07:58 AM

I love this place. :) :) Thanks everybody for helping get this guy set up. :) :)

SubaN00b 01-13-2007 09:56 AM

Thanks

Seriously thanks everyone, I'm extremely grateful for all your help:D :D . I think I'll be checking around for these parts as soon as i get a little money TomsSVX, svxfiles, and Budfreak will all hearing from me. I actually do have a good friend who is chomping at the bit to take the car apart, so I think we could definitely try and fix it ourselves. If not though, now i have a lot of other options. I'll update the thread as i make progress.