The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Automatic Seatbelt Problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37367)

Nomake Wan 02-07-2007 11:55 AM

Automatic Seatbelt Problem

Figure as long as the weather's cold, I'll ask my questions so I'll have a better idea about what I'll be doing when it warms up...:D

Another little issue my car has is with the automatic seatbelt on the driver's side. Once in the "door closed" position, it will not move if you open the door. If I hit it on the bottom, it will proceed to travel down the door path, and the "Seatbelt Warning" light will go out. Closing the door makes it travel all the way back again, and the light still stays out. But upon opening the door once more, the auto belt remains stuck and the seatbelt warning light comes back on.

Passenger's side works fine. I kinda miss my Legacy now, its auto-belts worked great.:rolleyes:

Any way to fix the mechanism so it doesn't jam up?

Trevor 02-07-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Figure as long as the weather's cold, I'll ask my questions so I'll have a better idea about what I'll be doing when it warms up...:D

Another little issue my car has is with the automatic seatbelt on the driver's side. Once in the "door closed" position, it will not move if you open the door. If I hit it on the bottom, it will proceed to travel down the door path, and the "Seatbelt Warning" light will go out. Closing the door makes it travel all the way back again, and the light still stays out. But upon opening the door once more, the auto belt remains stuck and the seatbelt warning light comes back on.

Passenger's side works fine. I kinda miss my Legacy now, its auto-belts worked great.:rolleyes:

Any way to fix the mechanism so it doesn't jam up?

I do not have hands on knowledge of this feature as my JDM car has does not have automatic seat belts.

However, It would appear certain, that a change over limit switch operated by movement of the belt is involved, and that hitting an area at the bottom could be shaking it into operation. Follow your nose in this direction and you may find the answer.

michael 02-07-2007 06:17 PM

Try a search for your particular problem. This may help get you started http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...matic+seatbelt

Trevor 02-07-2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael
Try a search for your particular problem. This may help get you started http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...matic+seatbelt

This looks like a worthwhile thread. Take note that there is mention of a limit switch.

Nomake Wan 02-08-2007 12:13 AM

Worthwhile thread indeed! Thank you very much!

*slaps self for not searching*

Trevor 02-08-2007 12:22 AM

Quote:

Worthwhile thread indeed! Thank you very much!

*slaps self for not searching*

A reply, not difficult to recognise, as coming from one who is going places. :)

angrydan 02-08-2007 01:00 PM

A couple quick thoughts... if you are getting seatbelt warning lights, there is most likely a code you can pull out of the car. This code should point you towards what is faulty in the seatbelt system. I believe there is a doc in the how to section that explains how to pull the seatbelt codes.

I had a similar problem with my Pearl '92 and even though the codes pointed to the limit switch, it ended up being the control module that is mounted in the trunk. Also note that a faulty control module might slowly drain your battery. (at least it appears that mine did)

I have the complete seatbelt system pulled from a '92 that was converted to manual belts for sale if you find you need parts! Good luck and PM me if you need more info.

Nomake Wan 02-08-2007 07:33 PM

I'll go pull codes once it's warmed up, and yeah I read about how to do that on the How-To pages. Makes sense that yours threw a code that ended up not being right, since it only remembers a single fault.

Thanks for the offer. Once I dig a little deeper into my car's specific problem I'll get in touch. Thanks a bunch.

CDG 02-09-2007 05:06 PM

My Pearlie is starting to experience intermintent delays when I open my door. Only happens once in a while.
I'll be back to this thread when it starts happening on a regular basis.

angrydan 02-10-2007 12:55 AM

If anyone needs parts... I have them :)

Earthworm 06-01-2007 07:08 PM

Mine jams as well but I believe it to be the cable is fraying and causing the jam. A replacement will be installed once I get around to it.

Minjin 06-16-2007 06:25 PM

I've been reading seatbelt threads for a bit now however 99% of people have intermittent problems. Where should I look first if neither seat belt moves, EVER, and I have never seen them move during the time I've owned the car? There doesn't appear to be any related fuses.

Nomake Wan 06-17-2007 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minjin
I've been reading seatbelt threads for a bit now however 99% of people have intermittent problems. Where should I look first if neither seat belt moves, EVER, and I have never seen them move during the time I've owned the car? There doesn't appear to be any related fuses.

In the trunk, under the panel on the top... there's a computer in the middle. That would be the seatbelt control computer, and it's probably shot. :o

Minjin 06-17-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

In the trunk, under the panel on the top... there's a computer in the middle. That would be the seatbelt control computer, and it's probably shot. :o

Since they all seem to go bad, has anyone taken them apart to see whats going wrong?

edit: Well, I "solved" two mysteries. That explains why the trunk upper panel was hanging down. And when I looked in there, I found a box with its plug detached. I plugged it back in and it immediately started clicking like crazy. So thats why it was unplugged and the seat belts don't work. Anyone know what the clicking indicates? External or internal problem (wrt to the module)?