The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power steering pump bad? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49346)

msvx95 03-04-2009 05:18 AM

Power steering pump bad?

How do you know the power steering pump is going bad? In my case, the steering works fine, but when I start my car up in the morning..especially on a cold day, the pump is very loud, whiney...as if a bearing is bad? It quiets down when it warms up, but is this my pump starting to fail? I can't imagine the o-ring would have anything to do with it....
Any suggestions?

thanks,

Blacky 03-04-2009 05:25 AM

Re: Power steering pump bad?

There's a very good "How to" on this site for rebuilding the pump, quite a simple task.
The O-ring issue usually causes leaks or stiffness in the steering from air getting in.

Crazy_pilot 03-04-2009 06:36 AM

At the risk of stating the obvious, is the fluid level full?

msvx95 03-04-2009 07:00 AM

yes it's in the range it needs to be when it's hot and when it's cold.

jdmlambo 03-04-2009 08:49 AM

Funny you say that...my dad and i have svxs...and his is doing exactly what yours is... it will quiet down after a little bit....but loud on start up.. his fluid was full but it was foamy...

This is telling me there is air in the system....the bad 0-ring will allow air into the system.. the air, mixed with the cold, mixed with probably old fluid.. Thatll whine.. before i change the pump, im going to rplace the o-ring for a buck and flush the thing... read some stories about the o-ring with some happy endings...

if your fluid is full and clean, no air or leaks.... replace the pump..

msvx95 03-04-2009 09:30 AM

i'll have to look at the fluid and see....perhaps the o-ring needs to be changed. I just wish the weather would warm up so I can do this.

laserx 03-04-2009 10:53 AM

I can and have felt your pain with this miserable cold winter...my SVX won't start the other morning and my son and I would have to run back into the house every few minutes to warm up . Just imagine how cold it would be without "global warming". My son will be taking mine to the garage he works as a mechanic for Canadian Tire, I'm hoping this will fix my pump issues.

msvx95 03-05-2009 05:23 AM

I may have a small leak in the pump...fluid level was low this morning, but can't see any puddles under the car...My high pressure hose may have a leaky fitting too. I need to kind of wait for the weather to get a tad warmer so I can do some maintenance on it.

ensteele 03-06-2009 12:02 AM

I would bet my last $$ that it is the O-ring. If change it, I would be shocked if it didn't fix your problem. :)