The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   factory fresh! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6071)

Landshark 09-23-2002 07:47 AM

factory fresh!

1 Attachment(s)
just finished my three day detailing job, and except for a few paint chips (to be dealt with later), i imagine this is how they looked in the showroom! i don't wanna do this job anytime soon. here's a few pics, and i also filled my locker up with pics finally.

Mr. Pockets 09-23-2002 07:50 AM

Pretty. :)

Landshark 09-23-2002 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
wheel......

Landshark 09-23-2002 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
cowl.....after removing all the oxidation with Mother's Back-to-Black

Green1995SVX 09-23-2002 08:18 AM

Alan, what did you use on the wheels?

Mike

mattski 09-23-2002 08:27 AM

Simply stated, WOW!!!!!!!

Please post the precedure so I can get mine to look like that.

Aredubjay 09-23-2002 08:39 AM

First of all, no fair using a star-cross filter to enhance the sheen on the bumper. :D

Secondly, I use Mother's Back to Black and it's some amazing stuff. Y'now the lower part of the black trim on the windows? Mine was absolutely white. The "Back to Black" is cumulative and continues to darken the trim, the more you use it.

Great job! You've inspired me to do my 3-step Maguiar's detailing job on the Evil Twin --- well, someday -- maybe not this weekend, but the next -- maybe the weekend after that, I dunno, well --- Okay, the inspiration's gone, but thank you for it anyway. :D:D:D

Landshark 09-23-2002 08:44 AM

on the wheels, i used some polishing compound to get the real nasty stuff off, then 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, then Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 3 wax (in the can, not the liquid).

the car paint got 3M Swirl Mark remover on hood and roof, 3M Imp. Hand Glaze and the Deep Crystal wax. i used Mother's Back-to-Black on all the plastic and rubber weatherstripping. good stuff - its not a "black coverup" like the name might imply, but it removes oxidation from rubber and plastic. i even cleaned the REAR lenses with 3M plastic cleaner and polish. see why it took three days? my back feels great! :(

Landshark 09-23-2002 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
First of all, no fair using a star-cross filter to enhance the sheen on the bumper.
no filter, honest! i had to snap the still with my camcorder because my digital camera is so old the computer doesn't even recognize it. memory sticks are nice!

mattski 09-23-2002 08:50 AM

What is your plan for the paint chips?

Aredubjay 09-23-2002 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
my digital camera is so old the computer doesn't even recognize it.
Wha, wha, wha -- you're whining up the wrong tree. I'm still using a Petri FT-1000 SLR I bought in 1977. :D:D:D

Landshark 09-23-2002 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattski
What is your plan for the paint chips?
well, first i have to get some touchup paint! i have a chip-kit that comes with a fiberglass bristle pen for removing the crap from the chip, headless matchsticks, sandpaper, and a little bottle of clearcoat. all of this stuff can be bought seperately, though.

procedure is clean out chip with bristle pen, dab in paint with matchstick, let dry, repeat if necessary, wetsand, apply clearcoat, let dry, wetsand, rub out sanding marks with 3M Imp. hand glaze.

svxy 09-23-2002 10:59 AM

looks good

Sweet!
Sometime in October I'm going to do a detail also. I'm going to try Zainos Bros. wax. Pics will follow. I must keep up with the Jones.

ensteele 09-23-2002 11:03 AM

Great Job!!! You should be proud of how it looks now. The only problem I might have is that I would not want to drive it and get it dirty again. ;) :cool:

Landshark 09-23-2002 01:31 PM

it still hasn't left the driveway - i've been driving the WRX!