The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Competition Motorsports (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   We really need a Competition/Motorsports sub-forum (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42248)

wawazat?? 12-09-2007 07:46 AM

We really need a Competition/Motorsports sub-forum

Yesterday was the season-ender RallyCross for the Detroit Region SCCA. Friday afternoon/evening I dropped/swapped out the GC/Koni coilovers for the "winter" set-up (stock springs and Koni inserts). Pulled the camber bolts and re-loaded the stockers at max negative camber and buttoned her back up. Got up Saturday to 20F temps but beautiful sunshine. Grabbed the Michelin rally tires (yup, got a set mounted on some 16" Mustang SVO wheels) and headed out. The course was snow covered and slippery and consultation with some buddies convinced me to keep on the all-seasons instead of the rally tires. By the time I'd finished my morning runs, the car and tires were sooo muddy I chose not to swap them in the afternoon when I know they would have helped dramatically...oh, well. Near crunch off-course experience but saved it at the last minute:banana: If any of you have the chance to try one of these events, it really is an eye opener as to how our cars handle with drastically reduced surface friction. I'm a rapidly improving autocrosser, but this was a bunch of rapid wheel sawing, opposite lock, OH SNAP kind of fun. Highly recommended.

Had a blast, the car is dirty, and hope to have pics soon.

sicksubie 12-09-2007 08:34 AM

I agree 100% about the sub forum and I am also looking at local events this winter to have some fun...

SilverSpear 12-09-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawazat?? (Post 514081)
Yesterday was the season-ender RallyCross for the Detroit Region SCCA. Friday afternoon/evening I dropped/swapped out the GC/Koni coilovers for the "winter" set-up (stock springs and Koni inserts). Pulled the camber bolts and re-loaded the stockers at max negative camber and buttoned her back up. Got up Saturday to 20F temps but beautiful sunshine. Grabbed the Michelin rally tires (yup, got a set mounted on some 16" Mustang SVO wheels) and headed out. The course was snow covered and slippery and consultation with some buddies convinced me to keep on the all-seasons instead of the rally tires. By the time I'd finished my morning runs, the car and tires were sooo muddy I chose not to swap them in the afternoon when I know they would have helped dramatically...oh, well. Near crunch off-course experience but saved it at the last minute:banana: If any of you have the chance to try one of these events, it really is an eye opener as to how our cars handle with drastically reduced surface friction. I'm a rapidly improving autocrosser, but this was a bunch of rapid wheel sawing, opposite lock, OH SNAP kind of fun. Highly recommended.

Had a blast, the car is dirty, and hope to have pics soon.

You know that you could be banned for just asking for this? :p

shotgunslade 12-09-2007 10:32 AM

Back when I had my '92, i took it out in the mud once. I was visting a friend up in the Berkshires for skiing. Unfortunately, rain derailed our plans, but turned the road to his house into deep mud. Took the opportunity for some playing. Foot on the floor coming out of turns, opposite lock, 4 roostertails, sawing the wheel, some fishtailing, a lot of fun. Made the car into a mess, though. Lots of work to get mud out of the wheels, suspension, anything exposed under the car. But, a real hoot. This post is legal because it was a private road.

Todd, great idea for the motorsports sub-forum.

Roo 12-09-2007 11:08 AM

I second the motion...

...because after my project car gets built, it will be competing in LEGAL, SANCTIONED motorsports events, and I'd like to be able to share without risking bannination.

ensteele 12-09-2007 11:23 AM

There is never a risk of being banned by sharing these events. I agree about the sub-forum and will see what I can do. I think it is great to compete with our cars and show the world just how good they really are. :)

svxistentialist 12-09-2007 12:22 PM

It gets my support too.

Go for it.

[The only thing frowned on is racing on public roads. If a road is closed for an event, technically it is not "public" any more:)]

Joe:)

redlinedeath 12-09-2007 02:37 PM

i may be wrong, but i think one of the reasons the car isnt as popular among sport car enthusiasts is because its not used a whole lot for competition, say as much as an fc, or a civic, or miata(i was considering getting one of these for track use, that would be fun in my opinion) i think if people started takeing their cars to autox courses even more (it seems to me alot of you actually do?!) and started getting good times, the car will get recognition, and if this happens semi-regularly, youll see a few more people with svx's comeing around. thats my 2 cents, and i may be wrong, but itd be nice! but yeah, im for the sub-forum!

Crazy_pilot 12-09-2007 02:47 PM

YA! Good idea! I'm going to be doing some winter slush-n-slide events in Jan/Feb, including a performance ice driving school.

sicksubie 12-09-2007 02:49 PM

My goal is to run minimum 10 auto-x's next year and having a section where results can be discussed or bragged about would be great.

wawazat?? 12-09-2007 05:15 PM

Wow

Didn't think I'd get that positive of a response to another sub-forum. I've often wondered where to post my autocross exploits.

Danny-I'm confused as to why you think I'm about to baninnated? I was driving at a legal, sanctioned motorsports event on a closed course:confused:

redlinedeath-While I agree more SVX in motorsports would be good, the car comes with some severe disadvantages for many forms of motorsports. Weight (and correspondingly poor HP to weight ratio compared to many cars it will compete against), length, automatic trans, strut suspension, nose-heavy cantilevered engine (entire engine is extended ahead of the front axle), and lack of aftermarket support all conspire against it. Compared to many other platforms (Miata, BMW E30 and E36, Honduhs-can't mention specifics as I'm too bored to care:lol:) the SVX is just not the first, second, or 15th car folks think about or choose for motorsports. Not that it can't be done as Bill, Ben and Dave, Dan, myself and many others have demonstrated it can. I'd love to see more out and competing in local events with me...however, I'm the only active member of this group in my entire state now:eek:

Hopefully Chris, Earl, and Chris can put together a sub-forum. We cold even talk about drag racing if we HAVE to;):lol:

Todd

PS-funny story today. I'm heading to the local spray and pray car wash to knock off the mud from the event. You can still easily see the outline of my numbers and class letters. Car is coated from the front wheels to the back of the car about halfway up the door. Guy and his wife pull along side me in their tan Buick Century (not event he Regal upgrade). Young guy is looking over HARD at the car, talks to the wife, they both look over, she shakes her head, he stares over again and drives on. I can only imagine the conversation...
"Honey that guy looks like he had a lot of fun with that odd-looking car"
"NO"
<Eddie Murphy> "OK"</Eddie Murphy>

HAHA:lol:

wawazat?? 12-09-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 514159)
My goal is to run minimum 10 auto-x's next year and having a section where results can be discussed or bragged about would be great.

Bobbie, what class will you be running in? Street Mod? I did 11 autocross events and one two day autocross school this year. Ran with four different groups, took four trophys (two first, one second and one thrid) and had fun with all of them :D

Todd

Noir 12-09-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawazat?? (Post 514175)
Danny-I'm confused as to why you think I'm about to baninnated? I was driving at a legal, sanctioned .....

Todd

BANNINATE TODD!!!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...os/ban_him.jpg

RSVX 12-09-2007 07:35 PM

It would be very easy to add, I will try and talk to Chris and see what he says.

redlinedeath 12-09-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawazat?? (Post 514175)

redlinedeath-While I agree more SVX in motorsports would be good, the car comes with some severe disadvantages for many forms of motorsports. Weight (and correspondingly poor HP to weight ratio compared to many cars it will compete against), length, automatic trans, strut suspension, nose-heavy cantilevered engine (entire engine is extended ahead of the front axle), and lack of aftermarket support all conspire against it. Compared to many other platforms (Miata, BMW E30 and E36, Honduhs-can't mention specifics as I'm too bored to care:lol:) the SVX is just not the first, second, or 15th car folks think about or choose for motorsports. Not that it can't be done as Bill, Ben and Dave, Dan, myself and many others have demonstrated it can. I'd love to see more out and competing in local events with me...however, I'm the only active member of this group in my entire state now:eek:

Todd

HAHA:lol:

well, you are right there, but im one of the few that likes to see someone pave new grounds with something that isnt done alot, but unfourtunately, that means lots of money, and lots of trial and error. i did decide to opt out of the miata while debating with myself over coffee just a little while ago, i think i will use the svx for that even, but have no idea whatsoever about what is required to enter, race and such. i just need to do some research. not to mention, getting a miata would mean my bike would never be paid off, and i would never ever see track time in that. so come spring, my two main modes of transportation will be a 94svx lsi, and a 2007 kawasaki zx-6r, both of which will see as much track time as possiblem, meaning crashes, lowsides and highsides are absolutely not an option!:rolleyes: it will be the first time going to a track with both, and will without a doubt drain ever dollar i have for spending, but its ok, i may as well spend onmyself while single! just research time now!