The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should I buy this SVX?! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12540)

rmjjensen 08-10-2003 11:45 AM

Should I buy this SVX?!

Hi. I found a 92 LS-L with about 48k miles on it. I talked to the owner and he stated that he's the second owner, and has been running synthetic trans fluid. He also said that he installed an aftermarket trans cooler. I'm suppose to look at the car today but I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it.

He's asking for about $7500, which I think is a little high. I'll have to check out the condition of the car. My only concern is second owner on a 92 with SUCH low mileage. He told me that his son also has an SVX with about 200,000 miles on it...............so he knows the car.

Reason for selling: Just got a 50th anniversary Corvette.......so now he's got a Porsche Boxster, the Vette, and a PT Cruiser.....just no room for the SVX

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

SHISVX 08-10-2003 12:12 PM

be very careful...synthetics at such a low mileage...isn't that bad guys?

other wise....sounds like a good find with really low miles, if you have a svxer in the area have them come look at with ya

Kelli

ensteele 08-10-2003 12:13 PM

It depends what the car is like. Does it has a good interior - like new, not problems with working parts, clean interior, no wear or little wear on seats. Is the paint in good shape, nice luster on paint, few rock chips, no door dings, glass is good, etc. Does it run good, with transmission shifting good? How are the tires, and look for uneven wear on the tires (alignment). Any bearing noise? Do they have maintenance history and records?

If it is in very good shape, this may be a fair price. You might be able to offer a little less. I would say that is about the highest one should pay for one in very very good shape. Less if it is not.

Check to see if someone here is in your area that would be willing to look at it with you to make sure it is a good one.

Good luck and happy shopping! :)

elninoalex 08-10-2003 02:53 PM

The lower the mileage, the better for synthetics. It's when you've been running petrol-based for 100K+ and then switch, when you can have a problem. I think it would be ideal to run synthetic from day one. If you are the kind that believe in synthetics.

Sounds like a good price to me if it all checks out.

Stephen

driverdave 08-11-2003 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by elninoalex
The lower the mileage, the better for synthetics. It's when you've been running petrol-based for 100K+ and then switch, when you can have a problem. I think it would be ideal to run synthetic from day one. If you are the kind that believe in synthetics.

Stephen

I would never run synthetics from day one....it can prevent proper break-in. I agree with not switching on a car with high miles, though.

I figure with a new car, waiting til about 5k to start running synthetics.

just my opinion

elninoalex 08-11-2003 08:51 AM

Aw crap! I forgot about break-in. It's been so dang long since I've had a new car.

rmjjensen 08-11-2003 09:31 AM

hm....I don't know if they've been running synthetic from the very beginning. I highly doubt it though. I think I might buy the car, I'm going to see if he takes my offer of $6500 or so. I really like it, but Kelly's Blue Book says the value should be like 6300........dam

How "high maintenace" are these SVX's? .......and how is insurance on them....is it a sports car? I live in NJ btw - most expensive insurance in the US :(

~*~JenSVX~*~ 08-11-2003 01:55 PM

Quote:

I live in NJ btw - most expensive insurance in the US
I always thought that I lived in the most expensive insurance area... I'm in NY it's probably close though.

Jen

SvXyKidd 08-11-2003 02:04 PM

The SVX can be expensive on repairs but I think its worth it (mines still under warranty).

I also live in NJ and the insurance is real expensive i was paying $3,500 a year with Liberty Mutual for full coverage and i just switched to NJ Cure (njcure.com) the same coverage is costing me $2,200 a big difference, maybe give them a try.
Good luck with your svx search.

Tim 08-11-2003 08:15 PM

I pay 1200 a year for full coverage and im 17.

rmjjensen 08-11-2003 10:30 PM

wow, just 1200 for full coverage?! Are you sure.....that's insanely cheap

What insurance co do you have, are you on with ur parents?

Noir 08-12-2003 01:09 PM

re: if you know

if you know a good shop or mechanic, let them do an exam on the car. make sure nothing's wrong. good luck.

i pay about 700-800 bucks or so for full coverage per year.

Tim 08-12-2003 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rmjjensen
wow, just 1200 for full coverage?! Are you sure.....that's insanely cheap

What insurance co do you have, are you on with ur parents?

My dad's been with allstate almost 20 something years and never had an accident that was his fault.

I'm under his policy as a tier 2 or 3 driver, but we are both registered to drive both the Camry and the SVX.

And yes, its $1200 per year for Collision, liability, fire, and theft with $250 deductible.

rmjjensen 08-12-2003 04:02 PM

oh wow....all i know is that insurance on my 99 Infiniti G20 was about 4,000 a year (prudental) for full coverage with a $500 deductable.......I've got some points but still, 4k a year?! gosh.

Ron Mummert 08-12-2003 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rmjjensen
oh wow....all i know is that insurance on my 99 Infiniti G20 was about 4,000 a year (prudental) for full coverage with a $500 deductable.......I've got some points but still, 4k a year?! gosh.
Why wait for surprises? Insurance rates are calculated upon a bunch of variables (your age, zip code, car type, driving record, miles driven per year, body jewelry count, etc.) Call/email several insurers in your area & get a quote BEFORE you buy ANY car. If you're paying cash, take the highest deductible for collision (usually $500)you can, IF you want it. Any front end collision hard enough to deploy the baggie will usually result in a "total" for any pre '95 SVX.

Ron (paying State Farm $792 p/yr., $500 deductible, multi-car, homeowner, no accidents, & slightly over age 25 discounts).