The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dash Lights/Blown Fuse (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27200)

Hocrest 07-07-2005 11:18 AM

Dash Lights/Blown Fuse

OK... Last night on the way home I lost my dash lights... I was tired and I just wanted to get home, so it waited until today at work till I got out to check the fuses.
I pulled out the 10a labeled "Ilum" and it was blown.... Stuck another 10a in and it blows as soon as I turn the lights on :(

Sooooo.... I have a short somewhere... Any tips or advice before I rip the whole dash apart? Anything on that circuit other than the dash lights (shifter light/sunroof lights) that I wouldn't expect to be on that circuit??

I didn't do anything or make any changes recently.

dcarrb 07-07-2005 12:38 PM

I've read several notices recently about the wires to the sun visor vanity lights breaking and shorting, but I don't know if these are on the same circuit with the items you mentioned. Might be worth a look.

dcb

benebob 07-07-2005 12:40 PM

Flashlight!

Practice up though. My 95 still doesn't have functioning fogs since oh 2002.

Hocrest 07-07-2005 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
I've read several notices recently about the wires to the sun visor vanity lights breaking and shorting, but I don't know if these are on the same circuit with the items you mentioned. Might be worth a look.

dcb

I thought about that, but the fuse is fine until I turn the light switch on.

Another thing to mention... Things like the clock and gear indicator on the dash stay at full brightness when I turn the headlights on. Is there a short in the stalk switch???

Hocrest 07-07-2005 07:14 PM

GRRRRRRRRRR

I disconnected everything I could get to that has lights on that fuse.

It is still blowing as soon as I use the stem to turn the lights on.

I couldn't get the the cig lighter to disconnect those wires, hopefully that is it???

That will have to wait for another night...

Any other ideas? is there a dash lamp module somewhere?? I'll be getting the FSM's from Ben, hopefully that will help track it down...

Sometimes I wish my father wouldn't have left the Mennonite church... Buggy's are a lot simpler :D

SVXRide 07-07-2005 10:00 PM

Dave,
You might want to take the opposite tact. Try checking the continuity of circuits starting at the fuse boxes (under the dash and in the engine bay). It does look like you've got a short in the steering column...
-Bill

subeman90 07-08-2005 08:51 AM

did that scan I sent you help at all? or were you too worn out to mess with it anymore last night? :p

If you need anymore of the wireharness scans LMK.

Hocrest 07-08-2005 04:10 PM

:D:D:D

I have it isolated to the large blue connector under the coin holder that feeds the radio, clock etc..

Now I'm guessing it is a matter of borrowing Ben's FSM's, unplugging the connector and looking pin by pin for a ground where there shouldn't be one??