The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gearbox reluctant to engage 1st and 4th (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61527)

thor rob 04-05-2013 10:15 AM

Gearbox reluctant to engage 1st and 4th

Hello everybody, congratulations on a brilliant forum.
Yesterday I became the proud owner of my first SVX. A 1994 United Kingdom spec, ~127,000 miles and no modifications that I'm aware of (apart from a dented front wheel arch where someone hit me this morning whilst parked :().

The seller mentioned that it always pulls away in second (missing first completely) and won't engage fourth gear (even when the drivetrain has warmed sufficiently). I know that there were specific problems with the earlier gearboxes, what do you recommend?

My technical skills are basic/intermediate and I would really appreciate any and all advice.

Cheers, Rob

oab_au 04-05-2013 05:43 PM

Re: Gearbox reluctant to engage 1st and 4th

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor rob (Post 722185)
Hello everybody, congratulations on a brilliant forum.
Yesterday I became the proud owner of my first SVX. A 1994 United Kingdom spec, ~127,000 miles and no modifications that I'm aware of (apart from a dented front wheel arch where someone hit me this morning whilst parked :().

The seller mentioned that it always pulls away in second (missing first completely) and won't engage fourth gear (even when the drivetrain has warmed sufficiently). I know that there were specific problems with the earlier gearboxes, what do you recommend?

My technical skills are basic/intermediate and I would really appreciate any and all advice.

Cheers, Rob

Well first things first Rob:) Ensure that the Manual button on the shifter is not on, "Manual' light on the dash.
Try selecting 1st with the shifter, see if it will take off in 1st.

Harvey.

thor rob 04-08-2013 11:22 AM

Hello Harvey, thanks for your reply.
I've tried the car with both the MANUAL switch on and off. No difference.
The car pulls away fine when the gearbox is in '1', it got to about 20mph/3500rpm so I switched to DRIVE.
It is quite hilly where I live and the car was struggling and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on as it wouldn't drop down to first for the hill.

Any other ideas, best wishes, Robert.

icingdeath88 04-08-2013 11:26 AM

Check the CEL code. There are instructions in the how-to section.

oab_au 04-09-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor rob (Post 722348)
Hello Harvey, thanks for your reply.
I've tried the car with both the MANUAL switch on and off. No difference.
The car pulls away fine when the gearbox is in '1', it got to about 20mph/3500rpm so I switched to DRIVE.
It is quite hilly where I live and the car was struggling and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on as it wouldn't drop down to first for the hill.

Any other ideas, best wishes, Robert.

OK Rob, if it will start in 'selected 1st' but in D it just revs, it looks like it has problems with the 'one way' clutch (spraque clutch) in the box. So the box has to come out.
If you can find another UK VTD box to replace it, or you can use a JDM box, but you will have to change the front speed sensor from your UK box to the JDM.

In the mean time you can keep driving, by starting in 'selected 1st' then shift to 3rd or D. When you have to stop, use 1st again to go.

Harvey.

thor rob 04-11-2013 05:42 AM

Thanks again chaps.

I've read on this and the other forum about the ATF having to reach a specific temperature before 4th can be engaged. When I collected the car, it was a four hour drive hour so I imagine the fluid reached the relevant temperature.
Is there a way to check the thermistor in case this is what is stopping 4th engaging.

Drive safe, Robert.