The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why does it move? (was why doesn't it move) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55517)

davew833 09-17-2010 11:48 AM

Why does it move? (was why doesn't it move)

I picked up this '92 LS-L for parts last week with a locked up front diff that wouldn't roll when we tried to tow it, so I removed the right front axle as suggested which released the wheels so we could roll it onto a flatbed. I got it started last night and just for fun dropped it into gear to see what would happen, and to my surprise was able to drive it back and forth a few feet in my driveway- with only one front axle! (FWD fuse was not in)

So I guess my question is, where is the power going to move it? Just to the back wheels? The left axle only? Is the differential really locked up, or could it have been something wrong with the RF axle (which was clearly the original one for the car).

Huskymaniac 09-17-2010 12:08 PM

Re: Why does it move? (was why doesn't it move)

Did your quantum physics sensor illuminate?

1986nate 09-17-2010 12:27 PM

The rear wheels will make the car go which is likely what happened. With an open front differential, all the power went to the side without the axle which then caused it to put power to the rear wheels as it sensed no traction from the front. It could be that the axle was shot but also, the front differential could be shot.
What was the reason for it being a parts car in the first place, any idea?

StatGSR 09-17-2010 02:35 PM

^ isn't there only 2 reasons why an SVX ever becomes a parts car. The car was in an accident, or the transmission went out.

just saying since i have never heard of or seen any other reason for a SVX to be a parts car....

davew833 09-17-2010 02:38 PM

Seller had the front diff lock up on him on the freeway- he said he ran the fluid out, or didn't know it needed fluid or something. He lives in an apartment and didn't have anywhere to work on it or money to fix it. He actually sold it out from under me a few weeks ago to a girl who was going to drop the engine in her Vanagon, then the girl changed her mind and decided to drop in an EJ25, so she sold it to me. The body & interior are in fair/poor condition, but I have an extra tranny I might drop in. It only has 127k miles and the engine sounds great.

1986nate 09-17-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatGSR (Post 658120)
^ isn't there only 2 reasons why an SVX ever becomes a parts car. The car was in an accident, or the transmission went out.

just saying since i have never heard of or seen any other reason for a SVX to be a parts car....

not always the case... hence me asking since from his previous thread it sounded like the diff was locked up.

Crazy_pilot 09-17-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatGSR (Post 658120)

Some have died simply because the owner tried to sell but couldn't get what they thought the car was worth, so they parted it out.

Blacky 09-17-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew833 (Post 658121)
He actually sold it out from under me a few weeks ago to a girl who was going to drop the engine in her Vanagon, then the girl changed her mind and decided to drop in an EJ25,

Stupid girl!

davew833 09-17-2010 09:59 PM

The girl who bought it first told me the EJ25/Vanagon conversion kit is cheaper than the EG33 kit and she thinks the EJ25 is 'more reliable'-- I didn't mention the chronic problem earlier EJ25's have with head gaskets blowing. Even with 175 hp from an EJ25, she's getting almost double the HP she'd get from a stock Vanagon engine, and if someone cut up an Outback wagon to get the EJ25, who cares.

I have mixed feelings about her because she was going to give me the SVX (minus the engine) for next to nothing after she pulled the engine. Parting it out would have been a no-brainer then. Now instead I have another intact SVX that I paid more than I should have for, and I hate to part out a running car. Time will tell whether this deal ultimately pays for itself.