The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AC problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50846)

Davestone 07-04-2009 04:50 PM

AC problem

My AC blows but its never very cold. What are some possible problems?

SoCal LS-L 07-04-2009 04:58 PM

Re: AC problem

Pressure switch, low freon level, air door not fully engaging to cool air side, condenser airflow impeded, etc. How long since your last recharge?

Davestone 07-04-2009 06:24 PM

I have owned the car a year and a half and I haven't had the AC recharged. Should that be the first step?

SoCal LS-L 07-04-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davestone (Post 608014)
I have owned the car a year and a half and I haven't had the AC recharged. Should that be the first step?

Yeah you have a 94 (R134a) so it should be pretty straightforward, make sure they put in new Schrader valves (like tire stem valves but for the a/c) after they evacuate the system.

kwren 07-04-2009 08:09 PM

might consider getting the "O" rings replaced as well while in the system. That is usually where the refrigerant goes if it is low. "O" rings are a nice cheap easy step. to usually prevent refrigerant loss in the future.

Keith:cool:

Hondasucks 07-05-2009 11:01 PM

Bring it in and I'll have a look at it :) Do you still have those rims? If so I can come pick them up now that you are back in the states :)

NiftySVX 07-05-2009 11:27 PM

You need to measure the refrigerant volume before you haphazardly attempt to add more...

The first thing you need to do is run the self test of the climate control system. It does not require periodic recharging. I have never had to recharge my car, and it just had it's 15th birthday.

1986nate 07-05-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 608125)
You need to measure the refrigerant volume before you haphazardly attempt to add more...

The first thing you need to do is run the self test of the climate control system. It does not require periodic recharging. I have never had to recharge my car, and it just had it's 15th birthday.

If the A/C gets run enough, it will need to be recharged. Our 02 Durango was low on refridgerant at about 90,000 miles-granted we use it a lot during summer traveling and also in winter the defrost is on almost constantly. When we recharged it, it still blew cool but not cold. Had it recharged and was as good as new.

NiftySVX 07-05-2009 11:50 PM

Refrigerant never gets used, it's like air in a tire. It is inside a sealed system If it leaks out, there is a problem. I recently worked on a customer's camry that had 467,000 miles on it. Compressor was dead but it still had over a pound of 134a in it, factory charge was 1.2 lb.

Using the a/c will not make it deplete, but it can exacerbate a leak because of the pressure increase from it's use. DO NOT charge a car unless you know how much is in it. If you over charge it, you can make the compressor pump in excess of 500 PSI which can cause hoses to explode and could seriously injure you, or even kill you. No lie.

Gamesy 07-06-2009 01:04 AM

is there anyway to tell whether your compressor works or not without having a belt on it?

Davestone 07-06-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 608121)
Bring it in and I'll have a look at it :) Do you still have those rims? If so I can come pick them up now that you are back in the states :)

I'll be back in corvallis on Thursday. Yeah I still have the rims, anytime thursday would be fine to pick em up.

kwren 07-06-2009 10:15 AM

is there anyway to tell whether your compressor works or not without having a belt on it?

Why...

Keith:cool:

Hondasucks 07-06-2009 07:34 PM

Spin the center part of the pulley by hand, if it does not turn, your compressor is borked. It will turn easily by hand, but you should feel some resistance. No real way to tell if the reed valves are bad without it being hooked up to gauges and running with a belt on it, but if it's seized, you'll know it.

Dave - Thursday works, I will be around, call my work as soon as you can, 754 1515, ask for Dave in Service, basic evac and recharge usually runs about 125-145 or so, depending on the charge needed, assuming it needs a full recharge and not just topped up, if it just needs some refrigerant added, it will be less, but that is your best bet is to bring it to my work. (I might even have a discount coupon I can give ya...)

NiftySVX 07-06-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 608256)
Spin the center part of the pulley by hand, if it does not turn, your compressor is borked. It will turn easily by hand, but you should feel some resistance. No real way to tell if the reed valves are bad without it being hooked up to gauges and running with a belt on it, but if it's seized, you'll know it.

agreed.

You could also test the clutch I suppose if you really wanted to. I don't see what that would tell you though. Gauges are really the only way to see what is happening inside the system..