The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transmission cooler (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44617)

JLHollowX13 05-04-2008 12:49 AM

Transmission cooler

so ive been looking at transmission coolers at the auto parts store, online, etc. and i didnt realize how hard it is to shop for one of these. what do i need to be looking for? autozone has one for $30, will it work? do i need a big one, small one, im just not even sure what i should get. i want something that will do the job, but at the same time cost effective. although a tranny cooler could save me from expensive transmission problems.

also, what else will i need to install one? will i need any hoses or is everything supplied/already on the car? i want to get one soon but i just dont know what i should be getting. thanks for any help!

YourConfused 05-04-2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 (Post 545675)
so ive been looking at transmission coolers at the auto parts store, online, etc. and i didnt realize how hard it is to shop for one of these. what do i need to be looking for? autozone has one for $30, will it work? do i need a big one, small one, im just not even sure what i should get. i want something that will do the job, but at the same time cost effective. although a tranny cooler could save me from expensive transmission problems.

also, what else will i need to install one? will i need any hoses or is everything supplied/already on the car? i want to get one soon but i just dont know what i should be getting. thanks for any help!

I bought this one and I think others have something similar, do a search.

B&M

JLHollowX13 05-04-2008 01:01 AM

that doesnt seem like a bad price at all. i may be going with that one unless someone has a better one. does it come with everything needed to install it? and where does everyone put the cooler at in the engine bay? what is the best location?

YourConfused 05-04-2008 01:18 AM

it's a kit, barbs, clamps, mounts, hoses, even instructions.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/DSC01246.jpg

JLHollowX13 05-04-2008 01:32 AM

sweet, well it looks like i found the match! that seems like a great deal. the $30 was VERY light duty, and didnt come with anything i dont think. this one looks like its exactly what im looking for!

YourConfused 05-04-2008 01:44 AM

Just so you know that is not the best cooler (it is good though) or the best location on the car. It is about a 1/4 of the price of the ideal cooler though and the location allows air from both fans to cool it should one go out on you. I did it this was to be cost effective and safe at the same time.

If you have money to spend get a cooler with its own fan and mount it is the drivers fender well just behind the lights. there is plenty of room and it would cool the best, but is allot more expensive. Oh and since you live in Co It would be best if you bought one of those thermostat switches that only sends fluid to the cooler when the fluid is warm enough. I live in TX, so that is not really a issue for me.

JLHollowX13 05-04-2008 12:01 PM

where can i get a switch for the coolant? and would it be automatic when turning on and off? in the winter i definitely wont need a tranny cooler, im moving to gunnison and it is the coldest place in CO, i wouldnt be driving far so i wouldnt need the transmission to be cooled, so the switch would be something i need. also, how is it installed?

if i ever move somewhere that is really hot, i used to live in kansas, it was always so hot and humid there, like that to live i will definitely get a better tranny cooler. for now though i think this one will do the job. also, i bet there is a way to rig up an extra stock fan to this tranny cooler and relocate it in the wheel well, which i probably wont do, but i think would be doable.

YourConfused 05-04-2008 04:07 PM

http://www.jegs.com/p/Perma-Cool/748655/10002/-1/10535

Oil thermostat automatically opens and closes allowing you to install it and forget it. When closed the atf bypasses the cooler and when the atf is hot it opens and allows the atf to go to the cooler.

you would need Perma-Cool #771-1060 and it's install kit.

svxistentialist 05-11-2008 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 545677)
I bought this one and I think others have something similar, do a search.

B&M

That's the same one I use, and I bought from Jegs as well.

Good value. I particularly like the feature that when the oil is cold and viscous it bypasses the galleys and goes back to the transmission. This allows the oil to heat up quickly to operating temperatures.

If there is a negative about using this cooler in this configuration it would be that it gives the aircon rad more work to do on hot days, by proximity.

I still think it's the best job though, a neat solution.

Joe

JLHollowX13 05-26-2008 09:31 AM

i just ordered my cooler with some graduation money i got. i didnt order the thermostat yet since its summer and it probably wont matter, i will definitely get one on before winter though (especially since im moving to the coldest place in CO!!!) i just didnt want to spend the extra 60 watever dollars for something i dont need right now. that money will go to some good ngk plugs i think. i have a huge shopping list for the svx, i better get started with it!

BeneathNorthernSkys 05-26-2008 11:35 AM

I too am on the quest for a tranny cooler, as I just had my transmission rebuilt I want to prevent that from being a second time around. So far what I'm hearing is the B&M cooler is the best, plus b/c it gets Really hot in the summer here, and then really cold in winter I'd want a thermostat? and how hard is this stuff to hook up? I've never done anything really without help on my car, so I get nervous about tinkering with things I don't understand.

processengr 05-26-2008 11:41 AM

This type of cooler doesn't need a T'Stat

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 546924)
That's the same one I use, and I bought from Jegs as well.

Good value. I particularly like the feature that when the oil is cold and viscous it bypasses the galleys and goes back to the transmission. This allows the oil to heat up quickly to operating temperatures.

If there is a negative about using this cooler in this configuration it would be that it gives the aircon rad more work to do on hot days, by proximity.

I still think it's the best job though, a neat solution.

Joe

This type of cooler would seem ideal for winter use as it doesn't require the t-stat.

JLHollowX13 05-27-2008 01:00 AM

thats the one i just ordered today. its on its way. but yourconfused said that i should get a thermostat for winter, so where did you see that it comes with one? i think he was talking about the thermostat bypassing things, not the actually cooler. is that right?

JLHollowX13 05-29-2008 08:31 PM

i got the cooler in the mail today. ill be putting it on tomorrow, we will see how everything goes!!

YourConfused 05-29-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 549008)
This type of cooler would seem ideal for winter use as it doesn't require the t-stat.

what planet do you live on?

edit: not an attack, but what are you talking about? Really. Do you have any idea? Again, not trying to be mean here.