The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mismatched tires (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41567)

j_hustedt@hotma 10-28-2007 06:18 PM

Mismatched tires

Hi there,

I have mismatched front and rear tires. I know this is not ideal and I plan on getting myself a new set soon, but in the meantime, is it better to run the car in FWD until then or can that still cause transmission problems?

Thanks again.

ensteele 10-28-2007 06:32 PM

Welcome to the site. Mismatched tires can do your tranny in. If you can't replace the tires now, don't drive it unless you put the fuse in and put it into FWD. That will allow you to drive it until you get the new tires. :) Good luck.

nextse7en 10-28-2007 07:26 PM

This really ought to be a high priority - mismatched tires will quickly kill the tranny, and driving with the FWD fuse in is really only for emergencys.

You will probably be fine in FWD, just don't allow ANY wheel spin - drive with the MANU buttun pushed in, and take it easy, several good spins and you can kiss that tranny goodbye.

Good luck, and welcome to the network.

-Patrick

ensteele 10-28-2007 09:15 PM

I agree with Patrick completely. Tire spin will be BAD!!! :o

NikFu S. 10-28-2007 09:18 PM

I hope you have an external tranny cooler. Even though it is becoming winter, driving in FWD and manu will create a lot of heat compared to normal driving.

Trevor 10-28-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_hustedt@hotma (Post 504595)
Hi there,

I have mismatched front and rear tires. I know this is not ideal and I plan on getting myself a new set soon, but in the meantime, is it better to run the car in FWD until then or can that still cause transmission problems?

Thanks again.

The tyres should all be as close, to the same rolling diameter as is practical, so that all wheels rotate at the same speed. It is possible for tyres of a different make or pattern to have virtually the same rolling diameter.

Find a level straight stretch quiet road. Set the tyres to optimum pressure. Mark all tyres at the point of contact with the road. Drive the car slowly and straight for say a hundred yards or so. Compare the position of marks on all four tyres by bringing one mark back in line with the road. It will be realised that any differences will indicate differences in rolling diameter.

A small discrepancy is expected, and you must be the judge as to what is reasonable, keeping in mind the wear and tear involved if elements within the transmission are called upon to slip due to a marked degree over a real distance.

If there is a difference particularly in respect of front/rear pairs, Consider the possibility of making corrections by altering positions and tyre pressure.

These suggestions are made on the basis that there are major money constraints. ;)

porschekiller 10-29-2007 08:32 AM

tires

best prices on top brands: edgeracing.com discounttiredirect.com tires-easy.com tirerack.com. the ideal size is toyo proxes T1R 245/55WR16 for $130, but Falken Ziex 512 255/50wr16 can be had for $87. these will eliminate understeer, long braking, and a hard ride with long tread wear and allow high psi. the toyos are summer, the falkens are all-season.
Quote:

Originally Posted by j_hustedt@hotma (Post 504595)
Hi there,

Thanks again.

Ricochet 10-29-2007 11:21 AM

If the tires are all the same dimensions I don't see how it would hurt the transmission at all..? Unless there's a foot of snow on the ground and one side are snow tires, and the the other are bald all-seasons or something extreme like that.