The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Rant: Rolling Stones Tickets (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27545)

Sidewinder 07-26-2005 09:12 AM

Rant: Rolling Stones Tickets

So when I heard about the upcoming tour, I was on the bandwagon. I really enjoy the Stones and was hoping to see them. The tour dates were released, and within hours, sold out. To make matters worse, the prices for the seats are astronomical.

Today, I found a set of tickets for sale for the Milwaukee show and the owner wants face value: $350/seat. So she wants $700 total. I think I will have to settle for the worst seats in the venue, nosebleed section, and pay $200/seat.

I know the Stones are a guaranteed show sell out. They could probably get away with charging more per seat and still sell the venue out. But this is really out of control. These scalpers buy the tickets in quantity and then sell them on ebay for 1.5 and 2 times the value. This is just super disheartening and I am upset about it. These scalpers are terrible, but what can a person do? Eagles tickets and U2 tickets have the same problem.

mohrds 07-26-2005 09:18 AM

Do what I do. I haven't gone to a (major) concert that I didn't get the tickets for free in over 5 years. I still go to local music clubs and pay the $5-10 cover charge without complaint, but I have no use for $100 and up tickets.

Doug

Earthworm 07-26-2005 11:03 AM

When they played in Winnipeg several years ago they actually forced the ticket prices to affordable levels. I guess they need more money now.

benebob 07-26-2005 11:10 AM

The only scalpers I saw you talking about was the Stones! I wouldn't even spend the $55 plus fees I needed to go see Willie and Bob a few blocks from my house this summer. It'd be different if the money for the Stones was going to charity. They aren't even that good in concert to begin with. Would much rather see a group that actually puts on a good show then a bunch of old men with IVs sticking out of them standing up on stage long past their bedtime :D . Last concert I paid $50 for was to see Jorma and Jack of Hot Tuna in a 1500 seat venue. All proceeds went to music charities after paying for the costs. They played for nearly 3 hours.

SubaSteevo 07-27-2005 08:58 AM

Almost every summer I go to the Van's Warped Tour. The concert goes on from 11AM-10PM, and probably close to 50 bands play. The tickets cost me $35.

What's the difference between this show and the Stones? Simple, no seats :p

dcarrb 07-27-2005 10:43 AM

An old economic truism applies here: As long as folks are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to see the Rolling Stones, tickets to Rolling Stones concerts will continue to cost hundreds of dollars.

I remember when a ticket to a headline-act show cost about as much as the act's latest album.

dcb