The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   02 sensors (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9261)

petesvx2 03-11-2003 08:09 PM

02 sensors

Well, i got my right 02 sensor replaced, idle is smooth now at around 600 rpms, and running smoothly...so far so good:cool: :D

solarsvx 03-12-2003 07:22 AM

pete what hapened did u replace due to a c/e code or somethign else, elaborate

Aredubjay 03-12-2003 09:15 AM

Re: 02 sensors

Quote:

Originally posted by petesvx2
Well, i got my right 02 sensor replaced, idle is smooth now at around 600 rpms, and running smoothly...so far so good:cool: :D

I still haven't gotten mine changed yet. :D Finally had some good weather this weekend, but, I had a basketball game to watch. :D Also, asked the wife to pick up an O2 sensor socket for me at the local auto parts store. I even wrote it down for her (O2 Sensor Socket, 1/2 inch drive). She wound up piddling 'round in town 'til after dark, so, I couldn't do the deed. :( Oh well. To top it off, she pointed to the kitchen table this morning and said, "There's the thing you asked me to get." I pick it up and look at it -- Great, now I can FINALLY get my sensors changed. Then, I noticed the size of the drive. 3/8. I asked her what happened. She said, I gave the guy at the parts store, your note. I told her to take it back, exchange it for a 1/2 drive, and to tell them that if they couldn't tell the difference, we won't be shopping there any more. :rolleyes: Maybe this weekend.

sfsvx 03-12-2003 10:44 AM

By the way . . .

I've looked and can't find anything - are there any how-tos on replacing the O2 and knock sensors?

TIA.

Aredubjay 03-12-2003 11:19 AM

Re: By the way . . .

Quote:

Originally posted by sfsvx
I've looked and can't find anything - are there any how-tos on replacing the O2 and knock sensors?

TIA.

None that I'm aware of.

The O2's are fairly striaghtforward. In the manual, the only suggestion (outside of removing and replacement), is the suggestion to spray the sensor with XX-number (special Subaru number for the equivalent of "Liquid Wrench" I suppose), and wait five minutes before trying to remove them, to avoid harming the threads or damaging the pipe. All manufacturers, of course, warn against using anything silicone based on or near the sensor.

Dunno 'bout the knock sensors.

drivemusicnow 03-12-2003 06:36 PM

ok, my bank one sensor 2 O2 sensor needs to be replaced, says the check engine light, and although i don't think it actually does anything, i'm going to do it. Whats the cheapest i could get an O2 sensor, and are there any specific tricks to do the back one? keep in mind that I'd probably be doing this when the car is on jackstands, rather than on a lift. thanks for any input.

lee 03-12-2003 06:49 PM

Don't know any tricks (haven't done it myself - yet).

To add to what Aredubjay put down, here's what my CD on the SVX has to say:

Oxygen Sensor: Service and Repair
REMOVAL
NOTE: Do not apply excessive force to sensor when removing, especially when engine is cold. Permanent damage to the exhaust pipe may result.
1. Disconnect oxygen sensor electrical connector.
2. Apply a penetrating oil to the sensor base and allow to stand for one minute.
3. Loosen sensor 10° to 40° with a suitable tool (Subaru #499990110).
4. Again, apply a penetrating oil to the sensor base and allow to stand for one minute.
5. Remove sensor from vehicle.
INSTALLATION
1. Being careful to protect the sensor tip, apply a suitable high-temp anti-seize compound to the threaded portion of the oxygen sensor.
2. Thread sensor into exhaust pipe by hand as far as it will go.
3. Using a suitable socket, torque sensor to 18 - 25 ft.lbs (25 - 34 Nm).
4. Reconnect and secure oxygen sensor electrical connector.

petesvx2 03-12-2003 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by solarsvx
pete what hapened did u replace due to a c/e code or somethign else, elaborate
I was having c/e light issues so i brought it to my mechanic...it was the right 02 sensor causing the problem. Idle is still lower than i remember (i am dumb though so who knows) but it doesnt skip around anymore. it was kind of pricey though :rolleyes: but i dont know how much it was supposed to cost so w/e. it was like 170 USD for the sensor and another 170 for labor, i did think it was aquick and easy job
:confused: :confused:

Beav 03-12-2003 09:30 PM

BxS2 sensors are only on OBDII cars. Their reason for being is to monitor catalytic convertor efficiency. Just because the computer spit out a code for the sensor doesn't necessarily mean that it's defective. You could have a bad cat or any of a hundred other things wrong.

I'm beginning to love Autozone more and more each day. For the past several months I've been getting quite a bit of work from them. People go there for a free scan, they tell them "P0401 - Insufficient EGR flow" or whatever and sell them a part. First off, they usually sell them a crappy part that isn't worth owning. Then the customer finds out that that wasn't the problem. Then they bring it to me to fix. I get fix the car plus replace the new crappy part with a good one. Kinda like doubles my income... ;)

BTW, I don't own an O2 socket or wrench. Are they really necessary? :) If you're going to cut the plug off anyway, why not do that first then just use a boxed-end wrench? I know, I know. If it wasn't for needing the right socket you'd miss the games. :p

Gee, if anyone else wants their sensor replaced come see me. I'll even knock $20 off that $170 labor charge. (hmmm....2 sensors @ $150/ea. x 20 minutes = $900/hr.) Yeah, that's right. I'll do them for that! :D

Landshark 03-13-2003 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
Gee, if anyone else wants their sensor replaced come see me. I'll even knock $20 off that $170 labor charge. (hmmm....2 sensors @ $150/ea. x 20 minutes = $900/hr.) Yeah, that's right. I'll do them for that! :D
uh....thanks, BEAV. :rolleyes: :D
how difficult is it to get to the connectors? are they close to the O2 sensor, or buried and hard to get to? lucky me, i have three! :mad:

Aredubjay 03-13-2003 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark

uh....thanks, BEAV. :rolleyes: :D
how difficult is it to get to the connectors? are they close to the O2 sensor, or buried and hard to get to? lucky me, i have three! :mad:

They're easy to get to (the first two, don't know about the third -- I only have two -- but suspect all are easy to get to, especially with the car on ramps). I think on yours, there will be one on each "Y" pipe, and another just before the converter where the Y goes into a single. Just a guess.

The least expesive O2 sensor I found was here:

http://oxygensensors.com/

They have them available with the connector, or without. Depends on if you wanna go to the trouble of cutting off the connector and doing a splice, or not.

sfsvx 03-13-2003 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

They're easy to get to (the first two, don't know about the third -- I only have two -- but suspect all are easy to get to, especially with the car on ramps). I think on yours, there will be one on each "Y" pipe, and another just before the converter where the Y goes into a single. Just a guess.

The least expesive O2 sensor I found was here:

http://oxygensensors.com/

They have them available with the connector, or without. Depends on if you wanna go to the trouble of cutting off the connector and doing a splice, or not.

Wow - $65 for OEM equivalent, $40 for generic. Beats the bejesus out of $170.

I've been mulling over what I'd do for $900/hour. It ain't pretty. :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

Aredubjay 03-13-2003 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sfsvx

Wow - $65 for OEM equivalent, $40 for generic. Beats the bejesus out of $170.

I've been mulling over what I'd do for $900/hour. It ain't pretty. :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

Dick,
Hopefully, I can give you first hand knowledge about the change and the performance of these sensors. I plan to replace mine this weekend (I planned on it last weekend, but, it didn't happen). Notice that these sensors are GUARANTEED to perform like OEM for 100K miles. Keep your receipt. :D:D:D

And, Beav, the only reason I wanted an O2 sensor socket was to be able to torque the sensors to the specified 35 ft. lbs. Call me anal. :D

sfsvx 03-13-2003 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Dick,
Hopefully, I can give you first hand knowledge about the change and the performance of these sensors. I plan to replace mine this weekend (I planned on it last weekend, but, it didn't happen). Notice that these sensors are GUARANTEED to perform like OEM for 100K miles. Keep your receipt. :D:D:D

And, Beav, the only reason I wanted an O2 sensor socket was to be able to torque the sensors to the specified 35 ft. lbs. Call me anal. :D

Thanks!

And . . . okay, you're - oh, never mind. :D

Landshark 03-13-2003 11:56 AM

thanks, Randy. :)
BTW, does anybody know what's different about the rear "3rd" O2 sensor? i'm pretty sure its a different part# than the other two. different connector?