The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   oil leak on top of motor (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62351)

SUPER 12-14-2013 12:52 PM

oil leak on top of motor

I have a slow (I think) oil leak on the top of the motor. Can't see where it is coming from, but oil is pooling in the engine crevices. Occasional oil drips on exhaust create an odor too. Ideas?

WhatIsThisIDont 12-14-2013 01:00 PM

Re: oil leak on top of motor

Long time EJ22 user (and occasional abuser) here. I'm not sure if it's the same for the EG33, but the 2.2 had an oil sending unit directly under the alternator. If it's oil, then that would be where I would start checking.

Again, not at all sure, but still trying to connect dots between my favorite Subie engines.

wdb 12-14-2013 01:04 PM

I replaced the PCV valve on my SVX to cure the oil pooling on top of the engine. It's on the bottom of the intake plenum and a whole lot of fun to get at. If you end up taking the entire intake manifold off, as I did, go ahead and replace all the vacuum lines under there, and both knock sensors bolted to the top of the block, while you're there.

SUPER 12-14-2013 03:55 PM

thanks for the input. Will need to remove intake to get to it I'm sure. I will order the parts and take advantage of the opportunity as long as I am in there. Just looked and the sensor is $100 each on subaruparts.com. wondering id I should just let them be as the motor is running great. How often do these go bad? I have about 180K miles on her. I assume they are original, but not sure.

Blacky 12-14-2013 04:18 PM

You can go aftermarket on the knock sensors. They run $10.00 and up. Beck/Arnley around $45.00

SUPER 12-14-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 730324)
You can go aftermarket on the knock sensors. They run $10.00 and up. Beck/Arnley around $45.00

Any. recommendation on where to purchase? Web site?

Blacky 12-14-2013 07:36 PM

this is a great deal:http://www.ebay.com/itm/KS86-Knock-S...b209c0&vxp=mtr $15.79 Rock Auto sells the same one for $35.79 plus shipping.

svxfiles 12-15-2013 09:38 AM

Knock sensors can not leak oil.
If you remove your intake manifold be VERY careful not to break the nipples on the electrical valves/switches.
Strait hose is fine for replacement.
You should also replace the O-Ring under the I.R.I.S. valve.
No, you can not get it from Subaru,

but I have them for $5.00 each.:p

huck369 12-15-2013 11:27 AM

I'd check to be sure that the 50 cent O-Ring under the PS Pump Tank isn't your problem, as that is super common issue, and leaks on top of the motor....just what I would check first.....cheap and easy fix, if that is what it is...

SUPER 12-15-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 730343)
Knock sensors can not leak oil.
If you remove your intake manifold be VERY careful not to break the nipples on the electrical valves/switches.
Strait hose is fine for replacement.
You should also replace the O-Ring under the I.R.I.S. valve.
No, you can not get it from Subaru,

but I have them for $5.00 each.:p

IRIS? what is that? Next to the Johnson Rod? And the knock sensor replacement is , I think, a suggestion to take care of something in a preventative fashion as long as you have the intake off. I don't think anyone suggested that is where the oil was coming from.

dannmarr 12-15-2013 02:49 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?svxfiles|24710
16195AA030...Check Valve...$21.08

svxfiles 12-15-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPER (Post 730351)
IRIS? what is that? Next to the Johnson Rod? And the knock sensor replacement is , I think, a suggestion to take care of something in a preventative fashion as long as you have the intake off. I don't think anyone suggested that is where the oil was coming from.

IRIS
Intake Resonance Inerta System.
I only change the $100.00 knocksensors if they are bad, or cracked knowing that when cracked they will go bad.
As far as the johnson rod
GFYS:)

SUPER 12-15-2013 08:35 PM

IRIS valve o ring. OK. Thought u were pulling my leg. :o

92 SVX 12-15-2013 09:21 PM

I have never changed my knock sensors, but I helped a friend change the passenger side one, we were able to take it out without removing the manifold but it was a fun little *****.

The iris valve is one reason these cars have the power they do, its a great system.

svxfiles 12-16-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92 SVX (Post 730358)
I have never changed my knock sensors, but I helped a friend change the passenger side one, we were able to take it out without removing the manifold but it was a fun little *****.

The iris valve is one reason these cars have the power they do, its a great system.

The drivers side is even MORE fun to change.
I can now do either side in 45 minutes.
Having said that Young Tom would be done by now.
sigh...