The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Doin' the MAF (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30090)

Ron Mummert 12-05-2005 10:30 PM

Doin' the MAF

:mad:

In case any of you begin experiencing the following drivability surprises, you may want to swap out the MAF sensor.

My usually reliable '92 with 137K began to suddenly die whilst cruising along at any speed. Slipping it into neutral while rolling, it would restart immediately, & go on its merry way for 10 miles, 80 miles, or 500 feet, then die again. It would die 3-4 times within a short trip, then run like new for another 100 miles. It would also occasionally die at idle. There have probably been a dozen threads on this SVX feature over the years. I cringe when the "sensor" word is mentioned, since it becomes a crap shoot if no code is displayed. However, previous Network info about this anamoly led me to Mike's (Rufus') left-over parts store, where he found a MAF sensor once mounted on an Impreza, vintage uncertain. It was hard for me to believe something resembling a light bulb filiment in a plastic tube could bring 230 hp to its knees. However.... I spritzed the existing MAF filiment with carb cleaner three times & let it dry thoroughly while using the Impreza unit for several days experiencing NO more surprises in the process. I later put the "old", cleaned MAF back in, & drove a perfect 10 miles until it crapped out again.

Lesson learned.

One question. I can't be the first to slap on a "non-SVX" MAF in a pinch. So far everything's smooth, & I feel no difference in performance. Might there be any future "concerns" by using the Impreza unit, or are they virtually identical except for the part number? I prefer to buy Mike an exotic six-pack, rather than pay Mr. Subaru the 360 bucks for a Gen-u-ine SVX MAF.
Comments welcome.

Ron.

svxcess 12-05-2005 10:48 PM

Ron,

I was wondering what the progress was on your problem since the last time we spoke.

Here is the link to Dayle's tip for cleaning the MAF. He says he does it twice a year. It probably cleans the electrical connection as well.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&highlight=MAF

Take a bottle of plain white vinegar, a large clear bowl and 1 stock Mass air sensor.

Set the sensor in the bowl, and add vinegar until it rises just above the wires inside. Leave overnight. In the morning, rinse with water if you want and re-install sensor in car

White vinegar is a mild acid thats why I use it. Cleans any oil and dirt from the sensative wires and helps keep your car running better.

Try this method to see if the stock MAF will come back to life. If the Impreza MAF works, keep it. At this point in our cars lifetime, some things can work as well or better, or cheaper than stock OEM. That's why we have PWR radiators and ECUtune chips, alternator wiring mods, etc.

Ron Mummert 12-06-2005 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
Ron,

Set the sensor in the bowl, and add vinegar until it rises just above the wires inside. Leave overnight. In the morning, rinse with water if you want and re-install sensor in car

Hmmm.... "More whoosh with a douche". I like it.

At this point in our cars lifetime, some things can work as well or better, or cheaper than stock OEM. That's why we have PWR radiators and ECUtune chips, alternator wiring mods, etc.

Yeah....Lighted fuzzy yellow dice comes to mind too..

Thanks, John.

Ron (considers a yellow Wal-Mart battery to be a mod.)

billb 12-07-2005 03:21 PM

Can you post the part number of that Impreza air flow sensor?

Ron Mummert 12-07-2005 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billb
Can you post the part number of that Impreza air flow sensor?

Sure - 22680 AA160 (SVX is 22680 AA200).

Ron.

newsvx 12-07-2005 08:52 PM

Ron and Mike,
Smart work to try the Impreza MAF - BTW, Ron, John forgot to mention that the Box-o - wine cleans the MAF wires just as well. But, NO, you wouldn't - would you????? :eek:

Harry

Ron Mummert 12-07-2005 09:09 PM

BTW, Ron, John forgot to mention that the Box-o - wine cleans the MAF wires just as well. But, NO, you wouldn't - would you????? :eek:

That would be an extravagant waste of my favorite October vintage, Harry.
I seldom quaff straight vinegar, however.

Ron.

newsvx 12-07-2005 09:19 PM

I didn't think you would, Ron!!

BTW, did you receive my e-mail?

Harry

LarryIII 12-08-2005 05:41 AM

Ron,

Did you supply Rufus with your wonderful "Box-O-Exotic-Six-Pack"?

I 'm hearing rumors the Ripimoff Industries is in a joint venture with Wishbone Salad Dressings to furnish biodegradable vinegrette MAF cleaning kits to NAPA and Pep Boys. Is there any truth to this?

svxistentialist 12-08-2005 06:10 AM

Drive by wire

Hi Ron, Hi Guys

I had a similar problem. My Plum used to stutter to a halt at junctions, rough tickover. Ran OK most of the time though.

I stuck in the MAF from the UK one I now have, and no problemo. This in turn led me to believe that these devices wear out and give bad drivability over the years, so I look out for spares on the eBay.

This policy paid off this week, when a MAF I had bought as a spare for the Twin Turbo Legacy totally cleared a stalling and chucking problem the Legacy Wagon developed, usually when starting driving after being parked with a hot engine.

The guy who sold it to me sent it with the part number plate missing, so I was a bit wary of it. However, it works, and the engine is pulling sweet and powerful all the way to the 7000 or so red zone till the autobox changes up by default.

Having had this cure work for two different cars, the MAF is now my #1 port of call if I get bad drivability, code or no code. Same as Ron, my only worry would be if the voltage output was not a correct match for the fuelling map. It could mean that the turbo car would run lean if not given the correct information by a MAF of the wrong voltage to cubic feet per minute info to the ECU. Does longassname or any of the fuelling gurus have a view on this? Could I be burning holes in my pistons?

Meantime, back on the ranch, a return to driving with insane grin on face..... :D

Joe :)

billb 12-08-2005 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist
stalling and chucking problem the Legacy Wagon developed, usually when starting driving after being parked with a hot engine.

This sounds just like the stalling problem I've been fighting on my SVX since May. I just popped in a new (used) MAF. It might be a little better but I'm not sure. It has stalled only once since I put the new one in. Will the overnight cleaning make it better?

svxistentialist 12-08-2005 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billb
This sounds just like the stalling problem I've been fighting on my SVX since May. I just popped in a new (used) MAF. It might be a little better but I'm not sure. It has stalled only once since I put the new one in. Will the overnight cleaning make it better?

Mine is going so well at present, I have red knuckles from "knocking on wood" :D

I am going to try out the old box o' vinegar overnight on the MAF I took off, refit it, and see if it works OK.

If it does, then we will know the answer.

billb 12-08-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Mine is going so well at present, I have red knuckles from "knocking on wood" :D

I am going to try out the old box o' vinegar overnight on the MAF I took off, refit it, and see if it works OK.

If it does, then we will know the answer.

Excellent. I have my old one soaking right now. I'll let you know how that turns out. It seems that with the cold weather, the car runs better. So, it might take several days to see if my problem is really fixed.

Ron Mummert 12-08-2005 10:54 PM

Mine's soaking in vinegar right now.

Ron (Don't ask).

svxistentialist 12-09-2005 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
Mine's soaking in vinegar right now.

Ron (Don't ask).

Mine needs a regular soaking as well.

Joe [don't ask]