The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oil Pan Replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50626)

Sanosuke 06-14-2009 07:51 PM

Oil Pan Replacement

While changing the oil on my SVX I noticed two problems which I feel I need to take car of as soon as possible.

First off there is a small leak from the valve cover where it meets the head. What is the gasket for this piece? RTV?

Noticed how rusty my oil pan is and tapped on it to listen for soft spots and found some. I want to replace it and in fact already ordered the pan. Do yall know a place I can print out the procedures and or know exactly what has to be done, I assume the subframe wants to come out first. Whats the gasket on the oil pan to block? RTV, Thats what the dealership says... just want to make sure.

Crazy_pilot 06-14-2009 08:31 PM

Re: Oil Pan Replacement

There are rubber seals under the valve covers. It's common for them to develop leaks after a bunch of years.

As for the oil pan, despite what I was told I discovered that it's completely possible to change it without removing any other parts, although taking of the plastic under-tray makes life easier. With a 1/4" swivel joint and 10mm short socket you can get to the rear bolts above the subframe. The pan is RTV'd in place, so pull down the old pan, clean the bottom of the block, and silicon up your new one.

Green1995SVX 06-14-2009 08:55 PM

A rusty oil pan in AZ? Now I've heard EVERYTHING!

Sanosuke 06-14-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 605250)
There are rubber seals under the valve covers. It's common for them to develop leaks after a bunch of years.

As for the oil pan, despite what I was told I discovered that it's completely possible to change it without removing any other parts, although taking of the plastic under-tray makes life easier. With a 1/4" swivel joint and 10mm short socket you can get to the rear bolts above the subframe. The pan is RTV'd in place, so pull down the old pan, clean the bottom of the block, and silicon up your new one.

Thanks, I was going to try that first anyway I just wanted to double check what was going on with this beast. Anyone know where to get the rubber seals for the valve cover? The reason I assumed it was RTV on the valve cover was there seems to be some where the leak is...

Its a rusty oil pan in Az that I shipped from Pa!!!! Gottcha!!!!!! This car spent around 14 years in Pennsylvania, bought and kept there, driven everyday (rain or sleet) until I bought it and moved out here for school.

1986nate 06-14-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanosuke (Post 605267)
Thanks, I was going to try that first anyway I just wanted to double check what was going on with this beast. Anyone know where to get the rubber seals for the valve cover? The reason I assumed it was RTV on the valve cover was there seems to be some where the leak is...

valve cover gaskets can be had from the dealership or any of the online sites-subaruparts.com, etc

Sanosuke 06-16-2009 06:43 PM

Thanks for the help one last question which I will ask as I try and look it up.

Is there a torque on the oil pan bolts, I assume its around 20 ft.lbs

Crazy_pilot 06-16-2009 08:31 PM

Ummm....reasonably tight? I'd measure it as one small grunt each.

Sanosuke 06-17-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 605483)
Ummm....reasonably tight? I'd measure it as one small grunt each.

Thats pro. Its called the calibrated elbow right?

oab_au 06-18-2009 01:49 AM

This post will guide you through the process, thanks to Seth.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...+covers+gasket

Harvey.

Crazy_pilot 06-18-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanosuke (Post 605628)
Thats pro. Its called the calibrated elbow right?

:lol: Something like that.