The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I've had it with this suspension clunk!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6851)

Ticallion 11-06-2002 05:05 PM

I've had it with this suspension clunk!!

Alright, I've listend carefully and the clunk is prominent in two places
1) potholes - clunk in front driver side suspension
2) speed bumps - styrofoam rubbing sound from rear suspension
3) taking speed bumps diagonally - clunk from the driver side of the car, no matter which tire is taking the bump.
SOOOO... i'm thinking that the bushings are worn out. I'll just save myself the trouble and replace the ones that could be affected. Could someone make me a list of part numbers, and possibly a diagram where they're located? I'll pick up the parts tomorrow
THANKS!!!
-Ross

mohrds 11-06-2002 05:23 PM

Give someone a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach them to fish and they'll eat for life ;)

Start Here
http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=2

Chose your year/model

Select Suspension, Axle and Brake
Select Front Suspension
Add your bushings to the cart,

Go back and select Rear Suspension (1)

Go back and select Rear Suspension (2)

After all parts are added, you can view the cart, print it out and you will have your list of parts to buy from whoever you like.

Doug

Ticallion 11-06-2002 06:43 PM

Thanks!!
Are there bushings in the control arm too?

mohrds 11-06-2002 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ticallion
Thanks!!
Are there bushings in the control arm too?

I'd have to go look at the car when its light out, I don't know off the top of my head.

Doug

Ticallion 11-29-2002 09:58 PM

CLLLLLUNNNNNNNNNK ISSSSSSS GONNNNNNNNNNNEEEE!!!!%!#%*()!#()*^()*!#^()*!#)*(^* ()!#()*^()*!#^

After 15 seconds under the hood tightening the center nut, the clunk is GONE!!!
I checked the three nuts before, but i never bothered checking the center nut. It was a full three turns loose.

After a quote from subaru for $933 in parts, and $300 in labour (LMFAO), it was solved for NO money WHATSOEVER!!^%@!#!#^!#^!#^!#^

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Assholes didnt even open the rubber lid for the strut. They would have seen it right away.

elninoalex 11-29-2002 11:31 PM

YOU DAH MAN!!!!

I read your post and RAN out to my garage to check. Bingo, same for me. The car is 100% more enjoyable to drive now.
Thanks a ton doesn't begin to show my appreciation.

Stephen

KUL RIDE 11-30-2002 12:47 AM

I'm sorry, but

what is the center nut???

Ticallion 11-30-2002 08:28 AM

Re: I'm sorry, but

Quote:

Originally posted by KUL RIDE
what is the center nut???
Under your hood, pop the "d-shaped" plastic cover on the strut tower, then underneath that you will see a little rubber grommet covering the center nut. You can remove that with your fingers, and you will see the center nut.

Ticallion 11-30-2002 08:29 AM

Re: YOU DAH MAN!!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by elninoalex
I read your post and RAN out to my garage to check. Bingo, same for me. The car is 100% more enjoyable to drive now.
Thanks a ton doesn't begin to show my appreciation.

Stephen

Anytime Stephen!!! Better than the $933 parts and $300 labour subaru offered me. Now i have to go down there and request my money back for the useless quote.

amuse 12-01-2002 05:10 PM

ruibber grommet

Is this rubber grommet about the size of a CD? Will it go back into place after removing it?

Just wanna make sure I don't accidentally ruin anyhing ;)

Thanks,
Pete.

elninoalex 12-01-2002 10:58 PM

No, it is more like the size of a quarter. It will just pop off and on no problem.

Boone 12-01-2002 11:55 PM

Hmm... novel idea. Your struts are clunking and you tighten them up. :eek: :p

amuse 12-02-2002 01:06 AM

pic?

Quote:

Originally posted by elninoalex
No, it is more like the size of a quarter. It will just pop off and on no problem.
Any chance of a picture? I'm stumped... I take of the "D shape" cap, and underneath I find 3 bolts (in a triangle layout), in the middle is a big rubber surface... about half or greater the size of a CD).

Thanks,
Pete.

maybe I'm way off?

cjoffe 12-02-2002 12:34 PM

Re: pic?

Quote:

Originally posted by amuse

Any chance of a picture? I'm stumped... I take of the "D shape" cap, and underneath I find 3 bolts (in a triangle layout), in the middle is a big rubber surface... about half or greater the size of a CD).

Thanks,
Pete.

maybe I'm way off?

There should be a rubber grommet in the center. Pry it up and you will see the nut in the center.

I haven't checked mine yet... Will do tonight!

CJ

Ticallion 12-03-2002 10:13 AM

TTT just cuz i'm so goddamn happy there's no more clunk :D :D :D :D :D