The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help with why my engine just shuts off wile driving (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52137)

Bshade 10-28-2009 11:02 PM

Help with why my engine just shuts off wile driving

So here's the story, my engine will just shut off wile I am driving. I could be doing 65 or 80 on the highway or just going threw town at 25 or 30. What happens is it cuts out and slows down as if the engine is turned off and then it starts up again like nothing ever happened. If I push the clutch in the engine will shut off as if I turned the key off then let the clutch out and it starts up again like pop starting the car. However it does not always do this sometimes it won’t start back up for a few minuets of me being pissed off. I am looking at the Maf as it acts like its unplugged when it does try to idle. I am really up against a wall here I do not yet know enough about these cars to diagnose this problem. If you have any help please let me know.

Brad the Superlative!

1986nate 10-29-2009 12:05 AM

Re: Help with why my engine just shuts off wile driving

You seem to be on the right path. Definitely sounds like a bad MAF

msvx95 10-29-2009 05:19 AM

Run a code check. Are you getting a Check engine light at all?
I agree with nate....Faulty MAF

Bailey 10-29-2009 05:32 AM

I agree, sounds like what my car did before I replced the MAF, but with mine it happened at slower speeds when I was braking, for instance coming off an exit ramp or slowing down for a stop sign.

lhopp77 10-29-2009 08:38 AM

Do the Diagnostic tests and run the codes for problems.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14263

Lee

Manarius 10-29-2009 10:36 AM

If you want to test a good MAF, I'm right up here near Harrisburg. I have a spare or two.

Bshade 10-29-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 623441)
If you want to test a good MAF, I'm right up here near Harrisburg. I have a spare or two.

I will definitely take you up on that offer I am on dayshift the next four days followed by a week off so let me know what will work for you. I am now going to go do some research as to how to pull the codes as I do get a check engine light sometimes before and during the engine trouble.

Thanks guys for all the help I am really appreciative of it.

Brad the Superlative!

trophy956 10-29-2009 06:53 PM

ill throw in with your MAF it can be bad with out ever coding

Tim 10-29-2009 07:03 PM

My MAF was bad before throwing the code. When driving it would get jerky and I'd lose power. If i pushed in the clutch the car would immediately die but when i let the clutch out the car would come back to life.

Bshade 10-30-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 623477)
My MAF was bad before throwing the code. When driving it would get jerky and I'd lose power. If i pushed in the clutch the car would immediately die but when i let the clutch out the car would come back to life.

Well you just described mine as well usally though once it starts I like to stop and do a nice 5 grand launch my clutch slips a little bit.

Brad the Superlative!

Bshade 11-07-2009 10:58 PM

Ok just to post up so if anyone ells is ever looking the Maf was teh problem. I put in a Legecy maff and the car runs great! Thanks so much Manarius for helping me out with a good maff.

Brad the Superlative!

Sean486 11-08-2009 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bshade (Post 624475)
Ok just to post up so if anyone ells is ever looking the Maf was teh problem. I put in a Legecy maff and the car runs great! Thanks so much Manarius for helping me out with a good maff.

Brad the Superlative!

Manarius saves the day again! He did the same thing for me last year.:):)