The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Which SVX would you buy? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48761)

WestCoastSVX 01-21-2009 12:22 PM

Which SVX would you buy?

This is just a theoretical scenario that came to mind and I'm curious how everyone feels.

You are you and looking to buy a SVX. Maybe this will be your first SVX, maybe you will replace your current SVX, or maybe it will be an additional SVX. But play it realistically, in your current life situation what would you be able to do.

Both of these SVXes look identical. They are the same year, same color, same trim level, same options. They both apear to be in excellent condition, inside and out. They both test drive and feel the same. And they are both the same price.

However......

SVX A has 50,000 miles. It has an unknown history, most likely you are seeing this at a dealership or used car lot.

SVX B has 150,000 miles. It has full records, and just before the sale it has been gone over extensively by a trusted mechanic - complete engine reseal, remanufactured tranny, new belts/pulleys/plugs/pumps, etc, etc. Most likely this is being sold by a private party, someone from the network, maybe one of the Toms, etc.

So which are you driving home? Remember, both are identical in every way except mileage and known history. Same price. And you are playing this as yourself, your budget (we're assuming whatever the price is you can afford that at a minimum), your needs for the car going forward.

Vote and comment away! :D

bheinen74 01-21-2009 12:26 PM

Re: Which SVX would you buy?

what if you find svx C; same price, 60,000 miles, and just had t belt, water pump, and a rebuilt by subaru tranny installed.

get the car you want. but between A and B, hard to tell. a rebuilt tranny is better than the original that is for sure.

WestCoastSVX 01-21-2009 12:42 PM

Personally, this is a tough one. In my current realistic situation, I can only have 1 SVX and it is a daily driver.

So the low miles is appealing, not just for the bragging rights, but at first glance it would be more reliable for a daily driver.

But as we are starting to see now, these cars are old enough (in years, regardless of miles) now that low miles isn't a guarantee of anything. Especially buying one blind off a lot with no history. Those first 50K miles could have been put on 10 years ago, then the car sat in a barn for a decade until the owner died and his son sold it to the dealer. Things could be ready to fall apart in the internals. Or maybe the first 50K miles were spent drag racing around and the tranny and everything else is about to give out in another 5K miles.

On the other hand, just because it has an unknown history doesn't mean it has a bad history. It could have been a one owner car cherished and maintained since it was new, and the owner just now traded it in.

Hard to know, somewhat of a gamble really. Much less of a gamble if you can afford to buy this car, and have additional money available if you do have to replace a tranny or something. Or are just adding it to your collection as a 2nd or 3rd or 17th SVX and aren't going to really drive it anyway.

Curious to see how the voting goes and how the demographics go. Provided people vote honestly and actually think about it a bit. :lol:

WestCoastSVX 01-21-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bheinen74 (Post 583198)
what if you find svx C; same price, 60,000 miles, and just had t belt, water pump, and a rebuilt by subaru tranny installed.

get the car you want. but between A and B, hard to tell. a rebuilt tranny is better than the original that is for sure.

Hey, no thinking outside of the box! :lol::lol:

dcarrb 01-21-2009 12:50 PM

An known-condition SVX in good repair with 150,000 miles ought to be good for another 50,000 to 100,000 reliable miles (assuming the replacement parts well doesn't run dry). I'd be leery of a car with an unknown history, regardless of the odometer reading.

dcb

Freeman 01-21-2009 12:52 PM

I'd take the high milage one.. I've already got 151 miles and I love the car. Getting one with all the work done I want to have done already would be a dream. Low milage means nothing to me when things are already rebuilt.. It's like a new vehicle!

subeman90 01-21-2009 12:53 PM

I'd go with low miles unless you knew forsure that the higher mileage car was in A1 condition. Just b/c a car has a rebuilt tranny or some new seals doesn't mean that it has been well loved (neutral drops, sideways across snowy parking lots daily etc)

shelfy 01-21-2009 12:59 PM

buy them both!

odepaj 01-21-2009 02:05 PM

If the 150k car is from the one of the Toms then that would be my choice.

But if not; the 50k car would be my choice.

Dustin

Green1995SVX 01-21-2009 02:08 PM

This is a really tough one! I just recently sold my 97 svx which had a fully documented history (lots of work), and the car had 90,000 miles on it. I sold it to purchase a 92 with 40,000 miles, which also has a fully documented history (purchased from elderly original owner), but the car had had virtually nothing except a couple of batteries, a set of tires, and oil changes. I did it, though, because I liked the color of the 92 better.

I think it comes down to this - which car do YOU like better? Go with your gut feeling.

sicksubie 01-21-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 583216)
buy them both!

+1.........:lol:

dennyo 01-21-2009 02:12 PM

low mileage.other car is closer to the end of it's "useful service life" as opposed to lower car that still has 150k in it. assuming it's taken care of.:) however i don't know these cars well enough so i am probably way off the mark.

Wikedjuggalo 01-21-2009 02:37 PM

I would prefer the one with history. Low mileage is nice but something you know has a history is better.

Ownbot 01-21-2009 03:22 PM

The lower miles one for sure. 50k to 150k? You cant even compare those to me regardless of the cars histroy. It's like comparing Lindsay Lohan to Estelle Getty, who would you rather have?

This: 50k

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...dsay-Lohan.jpg

or this 150K?

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p...v1/estelle.jpg

Freeman 01-21-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ownbot (Post 583267)
The lower miles one for sure. 50k to 150k? You cant even compare those to me regardless of the cars histroy. It's like comparing Lindsay Lohan to Estelle Getty, who would you rather have?

This: 50k

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...dsay-Lohan.jpg

or this 150K?

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p...v1/estelle.jpg

Lol not even close!

Getting rebuilt items is like a foutain of youth! besides they both look the sime.. So it's like she's wearing a Lindsay Lohan mask..