The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   East TN people familiar with 5 spd swap (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44913)

theallpowerful 05-27-2008 05:43 PM

East TN people familiar with 5 spd swap

I think im going to do it, and could use some help. Anyone interested post here.

huck369 05-27-2008 06:31 PM

I'm not too far away....
But with family and work , and the fact that my back is shot, and I'm in the middle of Phys Therapy...don't know that I can be much help (the cost of gas doesn't help either:eek:)

Do you have a good place to work on it?
What parts do you have for the swap?

Are you doing your own fabricating of the custom stuff, or maybe getting some from Tom?

You're welcome to come up and take a look at mine sometime if you'd like to see one that has been swapped...

theallpowerful 05-27-2008 07:02 PM

I may take you up on coming and looking at yours. I dont have a lift, but have a garage with air and a welder. I was going to snatch everything from a legacy and make it work.

Anyone that comes, I can provide beer and pizza. I don't expect anyone but me to do any real work, but could just use some advice from those that have done it before.

I need to do it before the race at the end of july, I just dont think the trans only having 1st and second will allow it to hold up for 16 hrs of racing.

huck369 05-27-2008 07:12 PM

Are you going to make it down to the Dragon Meet at the end of June?

And are you the guy building it to be a race car?

crazyhorse 05-27-2008 08:25 PM

I've never done the 5spd swap, but I've swapped the tranny in my SVX.

I also qualify by virtue of having a strong back & a weak mind LOL

I'm about an HR east of KnoxVegas, in G'ville

I ALSO know where there's this KILLER all Subie Junkyard!

theallpowerful 05-27-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 549271)
Are you going to make it down to the Dragon Meet at the end of June?

And are you the guy building it to be a race car?

I was going to try and make it over for that, but as it stands ow I only have 1st and second (mind you, they work well).

I am the guy building it to race in the 24 hrs of Lemons race at the end of July in SC. (http://www.24hoursoflemons.com)

Also, this subaru junkyard, is it cheap?

crazyhorse 05-27-2008 09:09 PM

No, it's not especially cheap, but it's cheaper than the dealer.

theallpowerful 05-28-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 549290)
No, it's not especially cheap, but it's cheaper than the dealer.

Elaborate, is this a pretty mainstream place, or some guy with a bunch of subies?

huck369 05-28-2008 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theallpowerful (Post 549282)
I was going to try and make it over for that, but as it stands ow I only have 1st and second (mind you, they work well).

I am the guy building it to race in the 24 hrs of Lemons race at the end of July in SC. (http://www.24hoursoflemons.com)

Also, this subaru junkyard, is it cheap?

That's plenty of time to swap it before the meet, if you have all your parts together, it can be dome in a long weekend....

crazyhorse 05-28-2008 08:43 AM

It's a guy with about 8acres of subies. No SVXi though :(

zukiru 05-29-2008 09:19 AM

shoot I'd like to come up and see that one day. after the dragon I will have made a long enough trip to feel confident in the car or not.. :cool:

(yes driving up there kinda scares me)

crazyhorse 05-29-2008 10:17 AM

Shoot Z, I road tripped 650mi to my mom's house in an '80 Pinto that used more oil than gas, with my wife 7mo pregnant!

huck369 05-29-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zukiru (Post 549481)
shoot I'd like to come up and see that one day. after the dragon I will have made a long enough trip to feel confident in the car or not.. :cool:

(yes driving up there kinda scares me)

And you may have too, as I usually bring FrankenWedge AND my SVX to the meet...but with gas prices the way they are, I'll probably just bring FrankenWedge this year......:rolleyes:
(I figure I'd be burnt at the stake if I didn't bring FrankenWedge...:eek:)

Nforcer 05-29-2008 06:52 PM

I'm not exactly in TN, but I'm in Auburn, Al. I did the 5mt in my 92. I used a 92 legacy 5mt. 4.11 trany. As far as fabricating goes, about the only thing your going to have to weld is going to be the Trany support. Expect this to not be too bad of a job, but getting the trany set up on the bottom two bolts of the motor are going to be a *****. Get some friends over for that part. Keep in mind, when you do this, get the matching rear end out of the car that you got the transmission out of. 4.11 in the front and 3.545 in the rear will tear you up. The easiest way I found to do my rear end was to just change the ring gear and pinion gear out. If you have any questions feel free to call me. 334-319-5695 Jeff.

theallpowerful 06-04-2008 05:28 PM

I have a line on some parts from a 98RS, provided I get everything, it should work?