The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   whale noises/power steering (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31172)

Afloden 01-27-2006 12:50 PM

whale noises/power steering

Hello,

Last night the car started making whale noises, very quiet ones when you turn the steering wheel. Very minimal but definitly there. Not the belt or the fluid. It did it again today, but only once the car has reached temp. Nothing to do with previous post -rear diff?/intro- ?

Should I stop driving it, what is it?

Thanks

Back to class, praying that something on this particular car is easy and cheap to fix.

NikFu S. 01-27-2006 12:52 PM

Could be the infamous power steering O ring.

Not much info to go off of here but generally when something squeals in the SVX engine bay, it is PS related.

svxcuseme 01-27-2006 01:47 PM

Mine did this for a while. Fluid was low. High pressure hose had a hole it in. Other hoses were leaking. Replaced all hoses. Sound came back. but fluid level was fine. Ultimately the pump started squeling horribly and I just replaced it. Sounded like the main pump bearing was going out. Replaced pump with a reman one and all is well. Whale sounds are gone

ensteele 01-27-2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afloden
Hello,

Last night the car started making whale noises, very quiet ones when you turn the steering wheel. Very minimal but definitly there. Not the belt or the fluid. It did it again today, but only once the car has reached temp. Nothing to do with previous post -rear diff?/intro- ?

Should I stop driving it, what is it?

Thanks

Back to class, praying that something on this particular car is easy and cheap to fix.

The first thing to do is the O-ring replacement. It is cheap and it will probably fix the problem. You will also be changing the ATF when you do this and checking the level of it. If it doesn't fix it, we can figure out the next thing to do. Good luck. :) :)

Afloden 01-27-2006 07:21 PM

Okay, I have read back through most of the threads that come up under power steering and I am pretty confident it is the O-ring.

After driving the car to class and back home this afternoon the sound is slightly different, but if you park next to a builing and turn the wheel you can here a vacuming like sound . Which, in an older thread Hocrest said that would be air getting sucked in through a bad O-ring.When you turn the wheel wehn you are park it also will pull lightly if you try to hold it in one spot.

I have printed out the how-to and will try it tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Thanks

svxcuseme 01-27-2006 07:32 PM

Please tell us if o-ring fixes it

I spent $150 for a new pump. Wish I had tried the O-ring. I gues if you don't ask...you don't get. Good luck !!!!

ensteele 01-27-2006 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcuseme
I spent $150 for a new pump. Wish I had tried the O-ring. I gues if you don't ask...you don't get. Good luck !!!!

I'm sorry to hear that. It is true, if you don't ask, you won't get an answer. :D Well, at least an answer to your question. :rolleyes: :)