The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   For G-Tech haters, racers, and people who want to dyno their SVX (who own an iPhone) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45760)

FlagstaffSVX 08-08-2008 03:18 AM

For G-Tech haters, racers, and people who want to dyno their SVX (who own an iPhone)

This was just too funny to not share with everyone (plus I'm studying for a Genetics final and need a break).

Many wannabe street racers know about the G-Tech. It's an accelerometer that calculates your horsepower, 0-60 times, etc, by the acceleration it feels in your car when you drive it. It costs about $150 and is commonly known to over estimate your car's ability, probably to make their customers feel better about their cars. They're marketed at people who don't have access to a real dynomometer, people who are frugal and don't want to pay for dyno runs, or street racing kiddies who want to brag about their car's horsepower.

Well, much to every G-Tech owner's chagrin, a $13 iPhone/iPod Touch application was recently released called Dynolicious that uses the accelerometer built in to those devices to do the exact same thing, only with a better user-interface in the form of a touch screen. Of course, you've got to own a $300 iPod Touch or even more expensive iPhone to buy the "only" $13 software, but it is more accurate and easier to use.

Sorry for the annoying video, but here is a guy testing it out.

http://gizmodo.com/5034542/13-iphone...ated-dynometer

JaySVX 08-08-2008 03:41 AM

Re: For G-Tech haters, racers, and people who want to dyno their SVX (who own an iPho

Interesting stuff. I know the iphone has those internal things going on, I didn't think it could be that accurate though.

odepaj 08-08-2008 04:37 PM

Re: For G-Tech haters, racers, and people who want to dyno their SVX (who own an iPho

:D Maybe i'll just have to pay $13 and try it out....

Dustin

processengr 08-08-2008 05:30 PM

I just downloaded this, best $13 toy I've ever spent! I'll bet this is good for RELATIVE testing, that is, you can't take the numbers as absolutes, but if you use the same iPhone in the same position in the same car, and the same stretch of road (no school zones:eek:) then you could accurately measure if one run was faster or slower than another run...compared to the Gtech and real dyno runs, cost per measurement is way less than the alternatives...
Gonna measure 0-60 before and after the 444 mod. on my daughters car...

GreenMarine 08-08-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlagstaffSVX (Post 559334)
This was just too funny to not share with everyone (plus I'm studying for a Genetics final and need a break).

Many wannabe street racers know about the G-Tech. It's an accelerometer that calculates your horsepower, 0-60 times, etc, by the acceleration it feels in your car when you drive it. It costs about $150 and is commonly known to over estimate your car's ability, probably to make their customers feel better about their cars. They're marketed at people who don't have access to a real dynomometer, people who are frugal and don't want to pay for dyno runs, or street racing kiddies who want to brag about their car's horsepower.

Well, much to every G-Tech owner's chagrin, a $13 iPhone/iPod Touch application was recently released called Dynolicious that uses the accelerometer built in to those devices to do the exact same thing, only with a better user-interface in the form of a touch screen. Of course, you've got to own a $300 iPod Touch or even more expensive iPhone to buy the "only" $13 software, but it is more accurate and easier to use.

Sorry for the annoying video, but here is a guy testing it out.

http://gizmodo.com/5034542/13-iphone...ated-dynometer

Alright... well I'm gonna go load this onto my iPhone and try it out on my way to dinner :p... Since I have already dynoed my SVX and I know what it is making at the wheels, this will be a good "accuracy comparison" :D:D

~ Chris

TomsSVX 08-08-2008 07:23 PM

G-techs are good for comparison runs before and after modifications... Accuracy is not always that important... its consistency. It is cool that they have this APP for the I phone though:D

Tom

GreenMarine 08-09-2008 12:40 AM

So I just downloaded it... I was having issues earlier with my iTunes account and it wouldn't allow me to download it, but I got that all Ironed out... I'll be taking this thing with me up to the Autocross in Danville, VA this weekend and I'll make sure to measure as much as possible!...

BTW (for those who KNOW): What is a good weight for a 1995 5MT SVX L... 3,400lbs?

~ Chris

processengr 08-09-2008 08:10 AM

My iPhone 4G wont calibrate, a known issue awaiting fix...Still works though, but generates funny results...:(

LetItSnow 08-09-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX (Post 559447)
BTW (for those who KNOW): What is a good weight for a 1995 5MT SVX L... 3,400lbs?

1992 SVX LS-L 5MT, 1/4 tank of gas, spare tire removed, '07 STI BBS wheels: 3,404 lbs per scales at the Pro-Solo a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what the reduction would be in moving down (weight-wise) to an L (power seat thing and such), but that should give a good starting point. Don't forget to include driver weight when testing!

odepaj 08-21-2008 07:09 AM

So anybody have any experience with this yet?

Im about to upgrade to 2.0

But im having second thoughts because I have my 1.1.4 jailbroken and I like it.....

Nvm, already found out how to jailbreak 2.0.2 :D

Downloading the update right now

Dustin

processengr 08-21-2008 07:16 AM

Hi,
I downloaded the update for the Dynolicious program, and my early iPhone 4G calibrated easily. However, I have not been able to do any meaningful runs with it, due to the congested highways I routinely travel in CT. I will have to get up early some Sunday morning, and find a level piece of road...

odepaj 08-21-2008 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 560826)
Hi,
I downloaded the update for the Dynolicious program, and my early iPhone 4G calibrated easily. However, I have not been able to do any meaningful runs with it, due to the congested highways I routinely travel in CT. I will have to get up early some Sunday morning, and find a level piece of road...

This is giving me a reason to jump on my timing belt install :lol:

L model with 4.44 gearing and st1v5 software.....

I wonder what I'll run.

Sov13t 08-21-2008 08:35 AM

There is also an alternative: G-Force

Doesn't offer as much as Dynolicious but looks like a pretty good G loads reader... will be comparing read outs between the two shortly.

-Sov13t.