The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brake Questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11983)

FifthElement 07-15-2003 12:56 AM

Brake Questions

I recently had an emmisions inspection. On the invoice it states my rear brakes are at 5/32 and my front brakes are at 11/32.

What is that measurement? Is it the actual pad? And should those pads' measurements vary so drastically?

nubs 07-15-2003 06:01 AM

Re: Brake Questions

Quote:

Originally posted by FifthElement
I recently had an emissions inspection. On the invoice it states my rear brakes are at 5/32 and my front brakes are at 11/32.

What is that measurement? Is it the actual pad? And should those pads' measurements vary so drastically?

Those numbers are the actual friction material thickness in fractions of an inch.
Front pads usually have more material than the rear to begin with but it really does not matter if they are different. Also the fronts will wear faster than the rears will.

SVXRide 07-15-2003 09:28 AM

Yeah, what Nubs said:D
Somewhere along the way someone may have put new pads on the front and not replaced the back pads
Question - what were they doing inspecting the brake pads during an emissions check?

FifthElement 07-15-2003 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Yeah, what Nubs said:D
Somewhere along the way someone may have put new pads on the front and not replaced the back pads
Question - what were they doing inspecting the brake pads during an emissions check?

Yeah, that makes sense.

They performed a 27 point safety check, is what it says, free for my safety. They also noted my tire treadware and that my differential fluid is dirty and other such things.

I'm wondering, anyone know what measurement should denote replacement of the pads?

SVXRide 07-15-2003 09:48 AM

If I remember correctly, there is a wear indicator (basically a small piece of metal that will come into contact with the rotor once the pads wear down) that will give you an audible indication that it's time to replace the pads. The SVX's pads are so easy to change that it's almost criminal to pay someone to do it for you:D
-Bill

ensteele 07-16-2003 01:32 AM

Why did you get an emissions check? Are they required where you are? Or was this part of the 27 point safety check? :confused:

BradT 07-17-2003 10:47 AM

Quote:

If I remember correctly, there is a wear indicator (basically a small piece of metal that will come into contact with the rotor once the pads wear down) that will give you an audible indication that it's time to replace the pads. The SVX's pads are so easy to change that it's almost criminal to pay someone to do it for you.
Now, would that indicator be something different from the super-high-pitched squeal that frequently occurs when I tap on my brakes?

You know ... I'm wondering if, at 74,000 miles, I'm about due for resurfacing. (And then there's the weird bird-like chirping I hear from the rear brakes when I first drive off in the morning -- with the brakes unapplied -- as if a caliper wasn't releasing correctly.) Eh, I'm no brake expert, that's for sure. :D

SVXRide 07-17-2003 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BradT

Now, would that indicator be something different from the super-high-pitched squeal that frequently occurs when I tap on my brakes?

You know ... I'm wondering if, at 74,000 miles, I'm about due for resurfacing. (And then there's the weird bird-like chirping I hear from the rear brakes when I first drive off in the morning -- with the brakes unapplied -- as if a caliper wasn't releasing correctly.) Eh, I'm no brake expert, that's for sure. :D

Yep, "super-high-pitched squeal" would be it:eek:
Sound from the back could be the emergency brake not fully releasing or, as you've noted, the caliper not releasing correctly.

flynavy 07-17-2003 04:56 PM

i'm actually about to replace the brake pads and want to try it myself. does anyone have anything in their lockers on replacing the svx pads? that's not the first time i've heard they are very easy to replace on this car.

nordique14 07-17-2003 05:18 PM

Check out Ryan's home page. He has some SVX how-to's on there. There's a good one on how to do the brakes.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com/car/howto/howto.html

He uses the "bolt method" to get off the old rotors that are stuck on. I used the "WD-40 method". It involves using lots of WD-40, waiting about 5 minutes and hitting the rotor with a rubber mallet.

Good luck,
Matt

kuoh 07-17-2003 05:36 PM

The bolt method is actually pretty fast & simple and coincidentally, the four bolts that hold the two upper radiator brackets have the exact thread and length needed. Just "borrow" a couple of them to pop the rotors off then put them back. And if you're doing the rear rotors, don't forget to release the parking brakes.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by nordique14
He uses the "bolt method" to get off the old rotors that are stuck on. I used the "WD-40 method". It involves using lots of WD-40, waiting about 5 minutes and hitting the rotor with a rubber mallet.