The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Radiator Needed... BADLY! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64990)

angrydan 01-14-2020 08:33 AM

Radiator Needed... BADLY!

Hello everyone! Its been AGES since I've been active in here. I recently rejoined the SVX community and already hit a snag with the '96 I bought by way of a large crack along the plastic top of the radiator.

I've attempted to seal it with the type of epoxy you'd use with windshields, but it just didn't hold :(

Unfortunately, replacements just seem to be nonexistent anymore. I was able to find that AMR Engineering was making an aftermarket direct replacement, but want around 15 or so commitments before they make more.

So... does anyone have a non-cracked one they're willing to part with. OR... is there enough interest amongst members to engage AMR to possibly do another run of them? I'd be happy to reach out to them if we thought we had enough buyers.

Any thoughts or assistance is gladly welcomed!

Thanks everyone!

-Dan

Blacky 01-14-2020 12:02 PM

Re: Radiator Needed... BADLY!

Found one...http://sspparts.com/search/1996/Suba...diat/675/jiiif

I bought a whole rear sub-frame from them and had it shipped to NY. Very reasonable.

angrydan 01-14-2020 12:24 PM

Thank you for digging this up... unfortunately, when I clicked the item details, it was marked as recently sold :(

irox 01-14-2020 01:36 PM

Hi,

sorry I don't have a lead on a radiator beyond AMR (it only two a few months from signing up to getting them to do another batch). But maybe you can still repair the crack (at least until the replace radiator arrives), it took me 3 tries with different products before I got it sealed.

IIRC the successful one was JB Weld for high temps. I'd tried two other "radiator repair" type products and neither held for more than a couple of days.

Good luck!
Ian.

angrydan 01-14-2020 01:39 PM

Thanks for the tip! I have a call into AMR to see what kind of timeline they may be looking at for them.

angrydan 01-14-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irox (Post 751691)
Hi,

sorry I don't have a lead on a radiator beyond AMR (it only two a few months from signing up to getting them to do another batch). But maybe you can still repair the crack (at least until the replace radiator arrives), it took me 3 tries with different products before I got it sealed.

IIRC the successful one was JB Weld for high temps. I'd tried two other "radiator repair" type products and neither held for more than a couple of days.

Good luck!
Ian.

Seems like some people were recommending Magnum Steel in earlier threads. In your case, did you just apply the epoxy right over the cracked area? Or did you dremel, prep it further before applying?

irox 01-14-2020 02:10 PM

I followed the instructions on the repair kits, IIRC this involved drilling/melting a hole at the end of each crack, roughing up the areas around the cracks with coarse sand paper, and wipe everything down with acetone (or similar), before applying. I'm sure all that prep helped the JB weld work.

I remember hearing about Magnum Steel as well, I think I couldn't find it locally and went with something similar.

Cheers,
Ian.

angrydan 01-14-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irox (Post 751694)
I followed the instructions on the repair kits, IIRC this involved drilling/melting a hole at the end of each crack, roughing up the areas around the cracks with coarse sand paper, and wipe everything down with acetone (or similar), before applying. I'm sure all that prep helped the JB weld work.

I remember hearing about Magnum Steel as well, I think I couldn't find it locally and went with something similar.

Cheers,
Ian.

That's what I figured! Thanks for clarifying!

LarryIII 01-14-2020 04:12 PM

I used JB Weld on a crack on the upper radiator nozzle of my '92 Pearly many years and about 75, 000 miles ago and it's still holding.

Good luck.

theflystyle 01-15-2020 03:55 AM

FYI - Ive got the OEM radiator available from when I did the AMR radiator install.

angrydan 01-15-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflystyle (Post 751698)
FYI - Ive got the OEM radiator available from when I did the AMR radiator install.

How much would you be looking to get for it?

theflystyle 01-15-2020 10:16 AM

PM Sent...

2times4 01-26-2020 06:32 AM

I've also got a 94 used radiator and trans cooler for sale. They look to be in very good condition.
I also have all 6 plug coils available.