The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A couple of things... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4072)

Mr. Pockets 05-08-2002 07:31 AM

A couple of things...

...that I've been forgetting to post about. Number one:

A couple of weeks ago we took my wife's Legacy in to Ann Arbor Subaru to have the AC repaired. We ropped it off in the evening, so I had to drive her to work the next morning. When we pulled up to her school (in the Justy) and she got out, there were a few childrenby the side door to the school.

'Your husband drives a foreign car, Mrs. Owens,' one of them said, probably with a little disgust (there's a huge Ford truck plant very close to the school and many of the kids' parents work there).

'Yes,' my wife replied, 'that's my husband's commuting car.'

'It's a Subaru, isn't it,' was the next question.

'Yes, it is.'

'You also drive a Subaru, right?'

'Yes, all of our cars are Subarus.'

'How many do you have?' This was starting to sound like an interrogation of McCarthy proportions.

'Three.'

And then here's the kicker:

'Gosh, you must really like Australian cars.'

Heh. She didn't bother correcting the kid. But now we're wondering how many other Americans believe that Subarus are Australian. SOA has had Paul Hogan dong their ads for so long, it's possible that a whole generation may grow up thinking that Subarus are actually built there.

Next topic:

Have any of you seen the Mercedes-Benz commercial that begins with the tan-colored MB sedan in the car crusher? It cuts to a shot inside the car and then fades to all these 'flashbacks' from the car's life. A big, red bow on the hood and an excited wife. Owner washing it. Some kids playing on the hood (ow). An accident avoided.

That one is rough. My cars are very personal things to me. I love my SVX dearly, but I still miss my truck some times. It was the first vehicle that I actually owned and I spent so much time with it.

And don't even get me started on the idea that someday my SVX may suffer the same fate as the Benz in that commercial. I get choked up when I see someone ELSE's SVX wrecked.

Maybe I should have started with this part and ended on the 'Subarus are made in Australia...' Then I would have finished on a lighter note...

Aredubjay 05-08-2002 09:48 AM

I agree that you should've swapped stories. Geez. Now I'm all emotional. Yes. I've seen the commercial. It is definitely a "grabber" for those of us obsessed.

Speaking of which, is it just me, or do you get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when someone here on the board, that you've "hung out with" for a couple of years, posts their car for sale? I actually get physically "icky." I know I'm a little weird, but, I'm in good company. :D

Mr. Pockets 05-08-2002 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
I agree that you should've swapped stories. Geez. Now I'm all emotional. Yes. I've seen the commercial. It is definitely a "grabber" for those of us obsessed.

Speaking of which, is it just me, or do you get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when someone here on the board, that you've "hung out with" for a couple of years, posts their car for sale? I actually get physically "icky." I know I'm a little weird, but, I'm in good company. :D

Absolutely, I do. I'm never glad to see somebody go, but I will admit that I feel a little better if the buyer joins the network. :)

Never2phat 05-08-2002 11:04 AM

my two pennies........

Quote:

I will admit that I feel a little better if the buyer joins the network.
I think that should be a prerequisite to selling our SVXs. The new owner has to agree to joining the network :)

:D B.C. :D

P.S. That Mercedes commercial is disturbing!!!

ensteele 05-08-2002 11:27 AM

After owning my SVX, I can't imagine selling it. The only thing I can think of is getting another to save wear and tear on the one I have now, but then I would probably decide that I needed another to save wear and tear on the second one too. The thing that scares me is where does it stop. Or, maybe that isn't such a bad thing after all - sick yes, but not all that bad.:rolleyes: These cars definitely get to ya.:)