The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Steering wheel shakes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11449)

clarkerussell 06-19-2003 09:26 AM

Steering wheel shakes

OK, I have a problem that HAS to be resolved.... Whenever I hit a bump on the freeway, my steering wheel starts to vibrate as if something is loose. I've seen this before on my Jeep Cherokee and they even have a name for the condition... they call it the Wobble of Death... Not fun... Anyway, It's annoying as all get out and it's getting worse... This is not the "knocking" sound we are all used to. It happens at highway speeds and I can feel it "getting loose" through the steering wheel. Anyone have any ideas about what to do about this? Thanks.

Clarke

mohrds 06-19-2003 09:42 AM

Re: Steering wheel shakes

Quote:

Originally posted by clarkerussell
OK, I have a problem that HAS to be resolved.... Whenever I hit a bump on the freeway, my steering wheel starts to vibrate as if something is loose. I've seen this before on my Jeep Cherokee and they even have a name for the condition... they call it the Wobble of Death... Not fun... Anyway, It's annoying as all get out and it's getting worse... This is not the "knocking" sound we are all used to. It happens at highway speeds and I can feel it "getting loose" through the steering wheel. Anyone have any ideas about what to do about this? Thanks.

Clarke

How is the front suspension?

Jack up the front wheels off the ground (one at a time is OK). Put on some gloves because you never know what is stuck in your tires and grab the tire like you want to hug the wheel and try and wobble it hoizontally and then vertically. The wheel should have no play at all. If it does move vertically, you may have a bad ball joint or strut mount. If it moves horizontally, you may have a bad inner or outer tie rod.

Repeat for the other side.

Doug

mbtoloczko 06-19-2003 10:03 AM

Either something is loose, worn out, or out of alignment. Definitely check the free play of the wheels as Doug said, but I'd first try it with the wheels on the ground. If no obvious free play, with wheels either off/on ground, I'd do a thorough visual inspection.

When did it start happening? Was it gradual over time, or did it start happening all of a sudden?

clarkerussell 06-20-2003 11:48 AM

Recently...

It seems to have happend over about a month... The symptom is that when I hit a bump, the front end seems to wobble for about 30 feet after the bump.. It's more pronounced at higher (80mph) speeds. Thanks.

Clarke

svx_commuter 06-20-2003 01:05 PM

With the steering column locked, grab front of the tire and move it in toward the engine and back out. It should not move or make noise. If it does it's a tie rod problem.

Push the top of the tire in and pull it out. If it moves its the strut.

Ball joints I have only been able to find bad ones when the car is jacked up and a pry bar is use between the knuckle and lower control arm. There should be no movement.

Rubber bushings in the lower control arm worn out?

How much free play do you have in the steering wheel?

SVX10 06-20-2003 03:35 PM

what is the role of the ball joint? I think the boot around one of mine broke and let the grease out, but i've never fixed it. Would it cause front end noise or bad tire wear or anything like that?

mbtoloczko 06-24-2003 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVX10
what is the role of the ball joint? I think the boot around one of mine broke and let the grease out, but i've never fixed it. Would it cause front end noise or bad tire wear or anything like that?
I'm sure it could cause bad tire wear, poor handling, etc. Fortunately, the ball joints are very easy to replace.

Mr. Pockets 06-24-2003 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVX10
The ball joint fixes the bottom of the upright to the end of the control arm. It's a universal joint (like the one in your shoulder or hip) that allows the wheel the travel up and down and turn left to right.

When the front right ball joint in my wife's Legacy went bad, the most pronounced symptom was a wobbling noise (and eventually a shaking of the steering wheel) while turning left on the freeway.