The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bolting on a stock rear spoiler (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10155)

SVXRide 04-19-2003 09:12 PM

Bolting on a stock rear spoiler

Well, I finally picked up a stock rear spoiler and now I need a little help with drilling the holes in the trunk lid. I can eyeball the size of the threaded pieces, but could use some help with the solid pieces above the threaded section. Do you just drill a pilot hole from inside and then come in from the outside with the larger drill bit?

ensteele 04-19-2003 11:13 PM

Yes, that is the way I did mine.

Now there are a couple of things to consider. You can use the guide dimples to drill which will come out good, and is the way the factory did it. You can also move the spoiler back about 3 1/2 inches which looks real good too. I don't have the pictures in my locker yet, but I have some with a spoiler in both positions. Let me know if you want to see the pictures. :)

BLKSVX92 04-20-2003 06:57 AM

stock spoiler :( always looked better without one but definatly looks better in stock position then moved back..but goodluck putting it on

to each their own

SVXRide 04-20-2003 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Yes, that is the way I did mine.

Now there are a couple of things to consider. You can use the guide dimples to drill which will come out good, and is the way the factory did it. You can also move the spoiler back about 3 1/2 inches which looks real good too. I don't have the pictures in my locker yet, but I have some with a spoiler in both positions. Let me know if you want to see the pictures. :)

Earl,
What size drill bit did you use when you came in from the top side? Pics would be nice, though I'm partial to staying with a stock configuration.
-Bill

ensteele 04-20-2003 10:25 PM

I will check the size of the hole for the bolts. I don't remember, but can check for you. The holes are marked for the stock position of the spoiler. :)

alacrity024 04-20-2003 11:37 PM

pulled-back spoiler is pretty mean looking. mine has a huge honkin' paint chip out of it, so it looks slightly less mean..

earl-
with your spoiler (of all the thirty-eight SVX's you own) pulled back, did you notice that it wasn't bolted on real tight?

-adam

sfsvx 04-21-2003 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BLKSVX92
<snip> stock spoiler :( always looked better without one <snip>

to each their own

But without a spoiler, what would you use to tie the trunklid down when you're carrying those 8-foot 2x4s? :confused: :confused:

ensteele 04-21-2003 01:19 PM

Yes, the spoilers are not tightened down real tight. They are snug, but not tight. :)

lhopp77 04-23-2003 09:16 AM

Spoiler

I personally think the car looks incomplete without the factory spoiler. That adds so much to the appearance.

As you say--"To each his own"

Lee

SVXx4