The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Metal Radiator (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38383)

fishtail 04-11-2007 08:36 PM

Metal Radiator

5 Attachment(s)
I have a 92 SVX. Last six in the vin are 105072, it looks to have the stock radiator in it. The radiator is Metal not plastic. When did Subaru start installing the plastic radiators in the SVX ? Does anyone know? And if so why did they put in the plastic radiators?

Chris 04-11-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishtail
I have a 92 SVX. Last six in the vin are 105072, it looks to have the stock radiator in it. The radiator is Metal not plastic. When did Subaru start installing the plastic radiators in the SVX ? Does anyone know? And if so why did they put in the plastic radiators?

Can you provide a picture of it and is it possible a previous owner changed it?
To be more factual, the factory radiator is aluminum with plastic top and bottom tanks. The transmission cooler in the lower tank is a single pass and it has been many peoples opinion that the cooler is not efficient enough for the weight of the car and the heat the transmission needs to dissipate. The biggest problems with the plastic tanks is that superheated water from the engine can stress the thermal capabilities of the upper plastic tank when driving "spirited" or doing anything else that causes more heat to be built up (ie A/C in a desert climate, long uphill highway speed grades, etc..) I wiped out TWO radiators in 6 years and thusly started the PWR project. I have since been VERY happy with what PWR has provided us. The biggest obstacle to tackle in the whole ordeal was to get someone to commit to doing R&D to make an after market part for a limited production car that is no longer produced.

Again, if you have an all metal/aluminum radiator, can you post pictures?:D

fishtail 04-11-2007 09:04 PM

The radiator in our car is brass,copper, it is not aluminum. I will take a picture tomorrow during daylight and post it. I do not believe anyone has changed the radiator before. It all looks original and has a JB weld patch on the top of it. Thank you for responding so quickly. Fishtail.

pavanbabut 04-11-2007 09:12 PM

Speaking of radiators... I am not sure if Subaru ever installed an all metal radiator in SVX other than plastic ones. But my 164s have normal radiator plastic, and all metal engine oil cooler and power steering fluid cooler seperately, I wonder how much heat it develops if these are not htere... :rolleyes: :p
-Pavan

Crazy_pilot 04-11-2007 09:26 PM

A car I looked at had the same thing

Looks like it fits alright, but the neck is smaller than the hose I think. At least, the hose looks a little squeezed.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ilot/42914.JPG

ensteele 04-12-2007 12:44 AM

The hose does not fit like it does on the stock ones. :)

Chris 04-12-2007 02:00 AM

Looks like something out of a 80's GL or Loyale. I would have to peek in a wrecking yard again.

AlcyoneDaze 04-12-2007 09:27 AM

Hate to bug anyone, but theres no How-To document on radiator installation. This will be the first time I've ever done this, any tips? and yes, I have used the search button

Chris 04-12-2007 01:31 PM

I will see about making one for you, but rest assured its fairly easy.
Please note, its been several years since I did mine, so this is from memory:

• Remove plastic cover from under engine (not required, but helps and minimizes mess)
  • Remove radiator cap (obvious safety here, do when cool)
  • Drain coolant (drain is in lower radiator tank)
  • Remove upper and lower radiator hoses from radiator side
  • Remove electric fans (two bolts each, top side... dont forget to unplug)
  • Remove 2 transmission coolant lines (also in lower tank)
  • Remove two radiator mounting brackets on top side (two bolts each if I remember)
  • Lift out radiator
  • If memory serves me right, I found it easier to snake the passenger side fan back in with the radiator still loose for clearance reasons. Everything else just goes back on.

Hope that helps. I will make this better with pictures when the weather clears up a bit an include what size wrenches you will need. Just about everything is like 10mm and 12mm on our car with some of the larger stuff 14mm and 17mm.

Hocrest 04-12-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris
I will see about making one for you, but rest assured its fairly easy.
Please note, its been several years since I did mine, so this is from memory:

• Remove plastic cover from under engine (not required, but helps and minimizes mess)
  • Remove radiator cap (obvious safety here, do when cool)
  • Drain coolant (drain is in lower radiator tank)
  • Remove upper and lower radiator hoses from radiator side (10mm if it's still the stock clamp)
  • Remove electric fans (two bolts each, top side... dont forget to unplug)(10mm)
  • Remove 2 transmission coolant lines (also in lower tank)(8mm if it's still the stock clamp)
  • Remove two radiator mounting brackets on top side (two bolts each if I remember)(12mm)
  • Lift out radiator
  • If memory serves me right, I found it easier to snake the passenger side fan back in with the radiator still loose for clearance reasons. Everything else just goes back on.

Hope that helps. I will make this better with pictures when the weather clears up a bit an include what size wrenches you will need. Just about everything is like 10mm and 12mm on our car with some of the larger stuff 14mm and 17mm.

I added the wrench sizes.

b3lha 04-12-2007 04:06 PM

When removing the fans, one of them is a tight fit. Can't remember which one. I find it easier to remove the transmission cooler lines and then slide the fan down and take it out from underneath the car. ;)

AlcyoneDaze 05-07-2007 12:34 PM

well, i have the old radiator out, and I should have the new radiator today. Im a little nervous about how to refill the coolant system. My plan was to reattach all the hoses and fans to the new rad, and just start adding distilled water thru the rad cap while the engine is running and the front of the car is about 8 inches off the ground... is this the right procedure?

odepaj 05-07-2007 04:29 PM

It's much simpler to remove the radiator with the fans still attached, everything comes out and goes back in smoothly. It also only requires the 4 bolts on top to be removed (instead of the bolts to remove the fans aswell).

Dustin

AlcyoneDaze 05-07-2007 05:28 PM

no no no, I have the new rad completely in the car, fans and hoses all attached and everything. I filled the radiator with water until it wouldnt take anymore, and the coolant reservior is well above the full mark. There are no bubbles when I run the car up to temperature. Am I all good to go?

I skipped flushing it cuz im lazy and the coolant had been flushed last year. Am I all good

Crazy_pilot 05-07-2007 06:05 PM

Run the climate control at full heat and full speed for a few minutes to clear any air in the heater core.