The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Anyone owned a 240sx? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22021)

marlettpat 10-17-2004 02:43 PM

Anyone owned a 240sx?

i have been looking at a few cars if i decide to sell my svx. i really want some honest, and hopeflly good, reviews on a 240sx. i am very interested in one, 94 or newerthe 2nd generation. i wanna drive one, but before i do i want to see what you all think.

Kurt_W 10-17-2004 07:45 PM

Ironically, I sold my 95 240SX/SE so that I could purchase my 92 SVX, the exact opposite of your plan.

Second gen 240's started in 95 and ran through 98 with a mild visual refreshing in 97 to the more commonly desirable "shark eye" styling. If I remember my stats correctly, there were approx 15,000 95-96 240's and about 5-7,000 97-98 240's. Mechanically, there is no difference in the 95-98 cars.

I would suggest a SE without the sunroof. The sunoof is a real pain if you are over 6" tall. The SE also comes with the LSD differential and 5x114.5mm wheels (vs 4x114.5 on the the non-SE.)

Performance wise, remember that the KA24DE is based on a truck engine. It makes decent power and has a good torque band. It however isn't the best sports car engine. Power runs out above ~5000 RPM and the redline is about 6500 (I think, its been over 2 years since I sold it.) Overall, seems to be very reliable and its engine is easier to work on then the SVX's.

Personally, I like the 95-96 better in terms of appearance, but I would take either were I to purchase another.

Seraph 10-17-2004 07:49 PM

We've just purchased one at the lot. I can go take a look and give you my opinion.

L

svxcess 10-17-2004 07:56 PM

Talk to Ron Mummert here on the network. He has a 92 black LS-L SVX and bought a 240SX that he autocrosses a lot. Needed a windshield and a radiator and he got it for only $100.

(That's right... only $100!!!)

Chiketkd 10-17-2004 08:25 PM

John beat me to it. I was going to suggest talking to Ron Mummert as well. I've seen his black 240SX in person and that thing runs great with over 200K miles on the odometer.

My wife owned an '89 240SX and she gave it away to an in-law who needed a car, and that car is still on the road running strong with ~160K miles. Hers did have a sunroof which was a pain and leaked a bit, but other than routine maintenance and the replacement of a starter at 108K miles, the car was rock solid!

-Chike

NapaBavarian 10-18-2004 12:00 AM

I rode home in a brand new one when I was in the fifth grade, a friends mom got it. Last I herd a couple months ago it was still in the family and running, I think it was an 89 or 90

Ron Mummert 10-18-2004 08:00 AM

Greetings, Pat. My autocross machine is a '93, so I don't know if there's enough carry-over technology to make any direct comparisons, but I'll give you a quick overview.
Mine is the down 'n dirty standard equipped fastback with the 2.4 DOHC mill. I bought it with 230K from the original owner, a "middle-aged" gent, who I've known for several years. He claims it's on the original clutch & suspension, & I have no reason to doubt him.
I sunk a few bucks into this machine to pass state inspection, & later the alternator died, which I replaced for $200.00 & my labor.
Right now I'm having a problem trying to pass state emissions. I did all the usual "tune-up" stuff & still failed. I then replaced the PVC valve, a feat that makes the SVX's replacement a quick walk in a small park. I haven't taken it back for a re-test yet. All things considered though, the car seems to be bullet-proof. It's become my daily driver since last April. As a comparison to an SVX, however, there isn't one. Let's face it, it weighs (I'm guessing) 600 lbs less, it's rear wheel drive, its 4 banger is noisier but revs nicely, & might give an SVX a good race up to 50 mph. There's a huge forum (nico.com, I think) that covers any question you might have, although the average age there is about 17, so you can bet the standard topics are more about drifting, & less about wheel bearings. If you need any other specific comments, PM me, although my home 'puter is crapped out for the moment.

Ron (The purpose of autocross is to make as much noise as possible).

SubaSteevo 10-18-2004 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Greetings, Pat. My autocross machine is a '93, so I don't know if there's enough carry-over technology to make any direct comparisons, but I'll give you a quick overview.
Ron (The purpose of autocross is to make as much noise as possible).

As far as I know, mechanically they changed very little. Their interior and exterior were just updated.

n00b on demand 10-18-2004 08:19 PM

you should PM my boy BXSVX.....he has a 95 240 SX with a JDM engine swap.

Bxsvx 10-18-2004 10:04 PM

Yea Toms right I do have one, it was actually a gift, god bless my friend. Anyway, it does need work, its not currently running right now, but i'll take care of it soon ;). I think Nissans are reliable except for the 91 stanza I had, damn car would not start after a couple of hours of driving and I would have to wait for about a hour again then it would start. That problem was fixed when I traded it in for my Diamante, it was the ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor, but these cars hold there own, I always had respect for Nissan products, they always gave me a fast ride :D