The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Clutch release bearing (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59252)

Conn SVX 02-17-2012 07:52 PM

Clutch release bearing

We called it a throw out bearing back in the day. Neighbor just came back from his dealer with his Forester. 100,000 miles on it . When in "N" clutch out it is squealing . The dealer told him he has to Change it immediately or it will wreck his tranny. True or false ?

North Ursalia 02-17-2012 08:46 PM

Re: Clutch release bearing

If it is bad enough long enough, it will wear down the snout on the tranny case. There are repair kits to fix a worn snout, but fixing it before the snout gets worn is a better solution :).

North Ursalia 02-17-2012 08:51 PM

Forgot a link to the kit-

http://www.smart-service.com/store-t...leeve-kit.html

Conn SVX 02-18-2012 04:47 AM

Thanks! I told him it was not something that could not wait until he gets his clutch job done next month. They want to do it now. He just did a 100,000 mile check up.

North Ursalia 02-18-2012 08:43 AM

Have them replace the rear main seal and reseal the rear separator cover when they do the clutch, whether they are leaking or not. They eventually will and it is only the cost of parts when they do a clutch job, as opposed to parts/labor to get back in there somewhere down the road.

Conn SVX 02-18-2012 05:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I will tell him

Conn SVX 02-18-2012 08:21 PM

Same person different problem
He gets car back .. Subaru Forester turbo. Picks his daughter up at school after the 100,000 mile tune up. New thermostate installed . Trip of about 6 miles. Gets to school car is overheating steam and real hot almost peg the guage.
Subaru broke the radiator when they tightened the new clamp.
Question what are chances the head gasket took a hit?

redlightningsvx 02-19-2012 10:42 AM

Well if the dealership broke the radiator and caused the heads to go they should cover ALL the costs in damage since it was there fault. Just tell him to complain heavily.

Conn SVX 02-19-2012 04:49 PM

Not sure the head gasket went yet. What are the 1st signs? I told him to watch for the telltale white steam and the smell . Look for white milk in the oil and loss of water. The dealer changed out the radiator already, for free , so the guilt has been established already.

redlightningsvx 02-19-2012 05:54 PM

White smoke out the exhaust. They should pressure test to make sure.

1986nate 02-19-2012 08:26 PM

Subaru's almost NEVER mix oil/coolant. They leak coolant into the combustion chamber or leak coolant externally. Unless they are extremely borked, then it's possible to have mixing, but at that point, you really cooked the engine and your heads would be warped.

Conn SVX 02-19-2012 08:35 PM

Do you think the one over heating from the broken radiator could have fried the head gasket. Said it got very hot.

oab_au 02-19-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 697512)
Do you think the one over heating from the broken radiator could have fried the head gasket. Said it got very hot.

If there was still water in the system, I would say not.

Harvey.

92snowmachine 02-20-2012 04:31 PM

buy a block tester at autozone or go to a shop that has one. it's a colored liquid that you put in a container over the radiator cap. it will change color if it detects any combustion gases in the coolant when the engine is running. this is a pretty sure way to check as it will detect a small amount of leakage that won't show up in the form of smoke. i usually do this when i purchase a car. told many subaru owners that they had a leaking headgasket.