The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What to do with my SVX...? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9730)

Reaper450128 04-02-2003 10:51 AM

What to do with my SVX...?

OK, some of you may have seen my previous threads, but I'll some it up here again for everyone: I recently purchased a Black 1992 LS-L Touring, and from the beginning of the test drive I knew in the back of my mind the tranny was about to die. Well, sure enough 4th gear was gone before I bought it, and 3rd went a few days later. Now it sits in my driveway awaiting a decision on its fate, and I need to make one finally. Repair is not an option, I simply don't have the money right now, so the options are sell it to an auto recycler or sell it as a parts car. What do you guys suggest? Here's a full "damage" report from the dealership that checked it out and quoted me ~$6000 for the repairs:
Customer says transmission slips when going into 3rd and 4th (that is not what I said, I said it won't go into either gear). Also slips up to 1500RPMs. The trans has a lot of internal failure. Fluid looks ok. Reccomend a reman trans. Need to replace transmission, front catalytic converters are failing, right front brake is tight, left rear tire is choppy, possible wheel bearing, power seat belt (driver side) retractor is not working, all wiper blade arms need adjustment, power steering o-ring is leaking, power steering hoses are leaking.

So, I have given up the hope of getting my money ($2400) back out of it, but I need to get rid of it and I need some cash from it to help pay back the debt from it. What should I do, and how much money should I expect to get from whatever I do?

Chicane 04-02-2003 10:57 AM

Sell it on ebay as a 5spd project. :)

NomadTW 04-02-2003 11:13 AM

part it out

you should be able to get the money back, the engine alone still is good except for the ps stuff, try to sell it to someone w/ an impreza or something convince them to swap the engines

and the leather will get you 300 at least for the set, and the wheels should fetch some money

GreenMarine 04-02-2003 11:28 AM

Yea, contact Porter and ask him if he is interested in it.. I know that with all their experimenting and stuff that they are doing to EG33's now, I'm eure that he wouldn't mind having another one...

Reaper450128 04-02-2003 11:53 AM

If I part it out, that means I have to actually take it apart myself, right? Not really an option, I don't have the tools or the time, sorry. Now, if people want to come and pull out what they want themselves, thats another story, but thats going to take a while, and my parents are unfortunately rapidly tiring of its presence in our driveway.

Reaper450128 04-02-2003 11:55 AM

Stupid question: who's Porter?

NomadTW 04-02-2003 12:00 PM

porter is one of the guys from dnt performance, they're currently building a centrifugal supercharger for the impreza 4 cyl's 2.2 and 2.5l
when they complete that project they are going to do a supercharger for the svx. and will need a test bed for the project, but i don't know if they'd want a car with a broken transmission or not.

Reaper450128 04-02-2003 12:01 PM

Got a way for me to contact him? I haven't been in this scene long enough to really get to know any of the guys with shops doing work for us.

NomadTW 04-02-2003 12:10 PM

you could pm him
or templar

Reaper450128 04-02-2003 04:01 PM

Sick thought

Before I fully commit to getting rid of it, here's a sick thought that at least puts my money to work... how hard is it to shoehorn an EG33 into a 95-99 Legacy? I've got a '95 Legacy L automatic as my daily driver right now, and if I could make it faster I'd love to. I know I've seen pics of an EG33 in a Liberty (looked like it was the same gen as my Legacy). I would probably have to rebuild the tranny as well, but that can probably be done (Level 10 ever done anything with Legacys?).

subafan 04-02-2003 04:19 PM

if the tranny is the only thing wrong with the car, why not fix the tranny? engine swaps will cost an arm a leg too! hopefully by next week i'll have total of how much a 5spd swap can be done in a reliable shop.... but i'm expecting parts with labor to total under 3500, if not 3000

hotshoe50 04-02-2003 06:46 PM

I paid $1300 for a similar car without all the other problems your has: just a bad trans.

Its probably worth about a grans though you might get up to $1500 with luck on eBay. I'd try it there, for $10 you can't go wrong and they all sell!!!!

Hotshoe

Seraph 04-02-2003 06:52 PM

What ever you do, sell it to someone. Do not part it out please. SVXes are as rare as they are. We need more on the road rather than less. If I have the money, I'd buy it on the spot.

L

Chicane 04-02-2003 07:51 PM

I agree completley Lwin. That's why I said to sell it on ebay as a 5spd project car. :) THen someone can pick it up for a song, install a 5spd, and the SVX can live a long happy (fast) life.

- Rob

Reaper450128 04-03-2003 05:31 AM

Sounds like a the general consensus is to sell, so I guess thats what I'll do. If DNT isn't interested (and to be honest, I doubt they will be, its not the best test bed in its condition) back to eBay it goes. I'll post a link in the For Sale section of the forums if and when I do. Thanks for your input everyone!