The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   got a faster car question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3933)

SHISVX 04-29-2002 02:44 PM

got a faster car question

there is this guy i work with at the hospital who says he has a WRX. after doing a close investigation, i found out that it was just an impreza 2.5 (looked on the back of the bumper:) ) it does have stick and a large...noisey tailpipe, no other work done.

he wants to race. he wants to make a bet. he is totally full of himself (would love to shut him up for once);the race would be on a straight away, dry, 1/4 mile track.

could i bet him in my svx???

love to know everyone's opinions on this one

Kelli
:confused:

Green1995SVX 04-29-2002 02:54 PM

I have no idea, but I will be waiting for the outcome of this. I would REALLY like to know myself!

-Mike

Seraph 04-29-2002 02:56 PM

Re: got a faster car question

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX
there is this guy i work with at the hospital who says he has a WRX. after doing a close investigation, i found out that it was just an impreza 2.5 (looked on the back of the bumper:) ) it does have stick and a large...noisey tailpipe, no other work done.

he wants to race. he wants to make a bet. he is totally full of himself (would love to shut him up for once);the race would be on a straight away, dry, 1/4 mile track.

could i bet him in my svx???

love to know everyone's opinions on this one

Kelli
:confused:

WRXes are Imprezas. If he can shift right, he can beat you no problem. If you want to race him and beat the living crap out of him, have both cars at about 60mph. You should be able to take him on. WRXes do come with a tincan tail pipe and a turbo on them. Good Luck!

Lwin

Green1995SVX 04-29-2002 02:57 PM

Re: Re: got a faster car question

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph

WRXes are Imprezas. If he can shift right, he can beat you no problem. If you want to race him and beat the living crap out of him, have both cars at about 60mph. You should be able to take him on. WRXes do come with a tincan tail pipe and a turbo on them. Good Luck!

Lwin

She said it was a 2.5, Lwin.

-Mike

SHISVX 04-29-2002 03:45 PM

Re: Re: got a faster car question

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph

WRXes do come with a tincan tail pipe and a turbo on them.

Lwin

the tail pipe is an after market one (and really ugly at that)....and he says that he does not have turbo(he was bragging on how much he is going to spend on one)....so now i am a little confused here. i know that it is an impreza...2.5...but um..well..Lwin, why you gotta confuse me??? i don't think that it is a WRX..am i wrong? i know that a wrx is an impreza, but a special kind of impreza..and his car is a 2000 i think-wrx weren't in the making then. and doen't it say WRX on the trunk lid?

Kelli

Green1995SVX 04-29-2002 04:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: got a faster car question

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX

the tail pipe is an after market one (and really ugly at that)....and he says that he does not have turbo(he was bragging on how much he is going to spend on one)....so now i am a little confused here. i know that it is an impreza...2.5...but um..well..Lwin, why you gotta confuse me??? i don't think that it is a WRX..am i wrong? i know that a wrx is an impreza, but a special kind of impreza..and his car is a 2000 i think-wrx weren't in the making then. and doen't it say WRX on the trunk lid?

Kelli

There are 2 levels of impreza. the 2.5 RS, and the WRX. I dont think Lwin read your whole post before responding.

-Mike

Red SVX 92 04-29-2002 04:14 PM

Stock, the 2.5RS has 165 hp. The WRX is turbo and has 227 hp. Does it actually say 2.5RS on the back? If it doesn't have a turbo, it's not a WRX, and he's a moron for claiming it to be. There's also a couple lower models than that, but the main thing is if he has a turbo... A real WRX will instantly burn you, and even a stock stick 2.5 RS has a chance of beating an SVX if launched correctly, so it's really a toss up... I'd like to hear the outcome.

But it's definitely NOT a WRX if it lacks a turbo. So at least you got a shot. Just watch for little tricks... nitrous... make sure it REALLY doesn't have a turbo... and make sure you don't give him anything better than straight 1:1 odds. Good luck! :)

EverclearAtMSU 04-29-2002 04:30 PM

if it's the standard 2.5rs, you can kick the crap out of it. I tore one up this past weekend.

I'd take a quick look under the hood to see what he's got though. Keep in mind that thread about the kia w/ nitrus...a 2.5rs w/ nitrus would be no joke though.

SVXphile 04-29-2002 05:51 PM

2.5RS

You should have no problem with a stock RS....like the guys just said, it has quite a few less horses but then it is lighter. But these days, you never know if some guy is just pulling your chain....or if he has stuffed a turbo and laughing gas under the hood. Such projects on RS Impreza's have appeared in SPORTS COMPACT CAR magazine.....
....I'm gonna guess that the only hot air is in the DRIVER of the Impreza... :D Don

SVXMAN2001 04-29-2002 05:54 PM

okay just for the record to clear up alot of confusion that seems to be going on. A 2.5 Rs looks nothing like a NEW AGE WRX, however the ones before 2002 look just like the 2.5RS EXCEPT they are only available in japan,europe. Unless this guy imported it from over there, I wouldn't worry about it. However the 2.5 rs will probably beat the svx off the line.

Green1995SVX 04-29-2002 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
okay just for the record to clear up alot of confusion that seems to be going on. A 2.5 Rs looks nothing like a NEW AGE WRX, however the ones before 2002 look just like the 2.5RS EXCEPT they are only available in japan,europe. Unless this guy imported it from over there, I wouldn't worry about it. However the 2.5 rs will probably beat the svx off the line.
Chris-

My neighbors have a 02 2.5 RS, and it looks identical to a wrx 'cept it doesnt have a hood scoop.

-Mike

phoenix96 04-29-2002 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
The 2002 2.5RS looks a lot like the WRX. The only difference is the badging and the lack of a hoodscoop.

Green1995SVX 04-29-2002 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by phoenix96

The 2002 2.5RS looks a lot like the WRX. The only difference is the badging and the lack of a hoodscoop.

Is there an echo in here? :D

-Mike

phoenix96 04-29-2002 06:53 PM

I obviously hit reply before your message had shown up :p

Beav 04-29-2002 07:34 PM

The way I see it you have some choices. Strap on the big ones and see what shakes out or stuff a spud up his tailpipe while he's not looking and kick the crap outta him. Real racers leave little to chance. In the immortal words of Smokey Yunick (I think he said it ;) ) "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying hard enough." :cool: