The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   need help......... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8362)

1994SubaruSVX 01-22-2003 02:46 PM

need help.........

last week my car stopped compiling miles and the speedometer just buried itself. took it to subaru dealer and they said some speed sensor in the tranny needed to be replaced. i bought it and they were to replace it today.

i just got a call and they said that some gear in my tranny was hitting the sensor and knocking out or something. basically i was told that they would have to tear down the tranny and replace some gear to the tune of $1100 parts and labor. these assholes are charging me $89 an hour.

please give me some insight on what i should do or ask so that i can cover myself here. something just doesnt sound right. i am also a little confused about what is really wrong/what they are repairing.

the saga continues.........

Aredubjay 01-22-2003 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Leo,
They're probably talking about the speedometer driven gear.

Aredubjay 01-22-2003 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This diagram shows the shaft in relation to its position in the tranny.

mohrds 01-22-2003 03:12 PM

Damn sorry to hear that.

I have been driving without a speedometer for a few months since my VSS #2 died.

Any chance this internal damage could be related to the flood damage? The VSS #2 is a simple external sensor that is a half hour job for a novice like myself.

Doug

1994SubaruSVX 01-23-2003 11:12 AM

that is the diagnosis guys.

my driven and drive gear both need to replaced. apparently they are loose inside the speedo shaft because they broke the tip off my old speedo sensor. the problem is that subaru says they have to drop the tranny and take off the differential case cover to get these stupid little plastic gears.

i spoke with the mechanic yesterday and asked if there was anyway we could avoid dropping the tranny and these high labor costs and basically the answer was no.

thanks for follow-up guys.

Aredubjay 01-23-2003 12:37 PM

Re: that is the diagnosis guys.

Quote:

Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
my driven and drive gear both need to replaced. apparently they are loose inside the speedo shaft because they broke the tip off my old speedo sensor. the problem is that subaru says they have to drop the tranny and take off the differential case cover to get these stupid little plastic gears.

i spoke with the mechanic yesterday and asked if there was anyway we could avoid dropping the tranny and these high labor costs and basically the answer was no.

thanks for follow-up guys.

Leo,
Could we get a two for one deal, if I come down there so he can drop the tranny and inspect the bearing in my front diff? :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear it, buddy. I'm kinda in the same boat, but, somehow, it ends up working out. G'luck t'ya.