The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   codes wont clear (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49486)

tiv0 03-14-2009 01:27 PM

codes wont clear

ive been going through the process of checking and clearing my codes but they wont clear

the CEL keeps coming on

Ill put the blue wire pin into the second slot from the left in the black connecter with the notch up and the ignition off. then ill turn the ignition to the on position and read the codes (32, 31, 37, 23).

Then ill put both blue wire pins in the first two slots in the black connecter notch up and start the car and turn it off

Ill check the codes again and theyre still there

what am i doing wrong?

Earthworm 03-14-2009 01:48 PM

Re: codes wont clear

Have you investigated the codes? How long has the CEL been on?

tiv0 03-14-2009 01:54 PM

heres what i have to look into:
31 Throttle Position Sensor or Circuit
32 Oxygen Sensor or Circuit (No. 1, Right Side, On SVX)
37 Oxygen Sensor (No. 2, Left Side, On SVX)
23 Pressure Sensor (Justy)

im not very knowlegeable on the layout of the vehicle, that is, where these sensors are

my CEL has been coming on with every drive for probably the last month or so

Earthworm 03-14-2009 03:05 PM

What I was trying to figure out is if all 4 codes started at the same time or if they've been adding up over time.

If they all happened at once then chances are there's nothing wrong with the sensors and you need to find out how they are all related.

Perhaps there's a bad fuse. I would make sure of this first.
Also check your battery (load test) and charging system (alternator). A weak battery can throw false codes. I've seen it happen personally.

If the above are good then start with the smallest code (23). See if you can borrow a known working MAF sensor to see if it eliminates one or more codes. Work from there.

redlightningsvx 03-15-2009 08:54 AM

Try disconnecting your battery overnight and reconnecting it the next day.

kwren 03-15-2009 09:33 AM

After disconnecting the battery negative cable over night I would touch the disconnected cable to the other cable for a few seconds before reconnecting the negative cable back to the battery. Then before starting the car I would check for codes again. This will verify that the codes have cleared, (maybe) :lol: At the verry least it should. These cars are strange animals.

Keith:cool:

tiv0 03-15-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm (Post 592009)
What I was trying to figure out is if all 4 codes started at the same time or if they've been adding up over time.

If they all happened at once then chances are there's nothing wrong with the sensors and you need to find out how they are all related.

Perhaps there's a bad fuse. I would make sure of this first.
Also check your battery (load test) and charging system (alternator). A weak battery can throw false codes. I've seen it happen personally.

If the above are good then start with the smallest code (23). See if you can borrow a known working MAF sensor to see if it eliminates one or more codes. Work from there.

i dont believe they all happened at once

a few weeks ago when i first noticed the light, i checked the codes and only received one for one of the O2 sensors
so yes, they have been adding up

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 592111)
Try disconnecting your battery overnight and reconnecting it the next day.

will do