The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sunsroof (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48332)

gwomack 12-29-2008 07:13 PM

Sunsroof

OK, I'm a newbie (bought my first one the day after Christmas this year) and I've read a lot of the posts on sunroofs but after using WD 40 now I have more problems than when I started. Did I mess up?
Here is what started all this. I just picked up my car and started going over the things I would like to address (which aren't that many for a 15 year old car). The sunroof would open and close but only after having to "bump" the switch in either direction. So I read where lubricating it would help. I applied WD 40 and now it has major difficulty. Motor is fine, but has trouble opening, slides back great, then has difficulty sliding forward (takes two or three "bumps" of switch) and then refuses to close flush unless I push up on the sunroof (which was not an issue before WD 40...should have left it alone).
There are a lot of post out there that tell me different things. Can anyone streamline any of this for me?
And where in the world is the "clutch" located so I can try and make an adjustment.
Thanks for all your help and patience. I love this car.
Gary

kwren 12-29-2008 07:19 PM

Re: Sunsroof

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwomack (Post 579625)
OK, I'm a newbie (bought my first one the day after Christmas this year) and I've read a lot of the posts on sunroofs but after using WD 40 now I have more problems than when I started. Did I mess up?
Here is what started all this. I just picked up my car and started going over the things I would like to address (which aren't that many for a 15 year old car). The sunroof would open and close but only after having to "bump" the switch in either direction. So I read where lubricating it would help. I applied WD 40 and now it has major difficulty. Motor is fine, but has trouble opening, slides back great, then has difficulty sliding forward (takes two or three "bumps" of switch) and then refuses to close flush unless I push up on the sunroof (which was not an issue before WD 40...should have left it alone).
There are a lot of post out there that tell me different things. Can anyone streamline any of this for me?
And where in the world is the "clutch" located so I can try and make an adjustment.
Thanks for all your help and patience. I love this car.
Gary

No part of the SVX's was made to need wd40 sprayed on it. WD40's only positive function is for hand cleaning, and that is only for people that have no idea what those deadly chemicals do to the person that uses it.

Crazy_pilot 12-29-2008 07:24 PM

The more common problem with the sunroof is that it takes a small nudge upwards on the rear to pop it up when it starts to open. Other than that they generally work fine. Some silicon lubricant might have been a better idea.

gwomack 12-29-2008 07:28 PM

Thanks Kwren, I knew it was a mistake 15 seconds after I did it. I will clean everything in the am and use silicone. I hope I didn't do anything permanent to it.

kwren 12-29-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwomack (Post 579632)
Thanks Kwren, I knew it was a mistake 15 seconds after I did it. I will clean everything in the am and use silicone. I hope I didn't do anything permanent to it.

Me also!
Keith