The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Worried (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63966)

LarryIII 06-26-2016 06:15 PM

Worried

I saw the W. Va. flooding on the news and hope the Tom & Dianna are OK.
I also hope that their property (SVXES) is ok.

processengr 06-26-2016 06:33 PM

Re: Worried

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryIII (Post 744264)
I saw the W. Va. flooding on the news and hope the Tom & Dianna are OK.
I also hope that their property (SVXES) is ok.

A big plus1!!!

SVXBart 06-27-2016 07:45 PM

Im sure Tom is safe.
His property way to high for flod problems.

svxcess 06-28-2016 06:14 PM

Just had an email from svxphile down in WV as well, he is fine

"Some localized flooding in our county and interruptions of power due to trees and branches, but we are a bit west of the areas hardest hit.

Greenbrier County... the next county to the east... was hit terribly hard.

Today Jean and I made another trip to Lewisburg.

On the way over, we used Route 12, that until today had been under flood water in several places. In fact at Fort Springs it was STILL under water so we diverted to the Interstate.

Areas of the road were a cloud of dust from the drying mud... wet mud was still bulldozed against the guardrails with tree trunks until state road trucks can move it.

It is unbelievable to drive and look up 6 to 8 feet above the car and see debris from the flood stuck in trees when the road is 20 feet above the river!

Uprooted trees cut out of the road by the road crews were everywhere and others grounded in the middle of the Greenbrier River as the water level goes down.

Summer vacation homes and fishing houses along the river either survived by being wisely built on stilts....or were destroyed or jammed with debris.

We spotted two good-sized travel trailers jammed together and 90% submerged in the river near the opposite bank.

Sheets of metal wrapped around a bridge abutment like aluminum foil....might have been the remains of another trailer.

National Guard tucks, every kind of disaster relief vehicle you can imagine, tractor trailers with supplies, and every gas station and wide spot in the road was a staging area for electric power trucks, tree removal trucks, and cable and phone company trucks.

Houses in Alderson with the front doors open and everything that had been on the ground flood was in the yard drying out, since the Greenbrier River goes right through town.

Hard to know that under that mud we were driving over was a nice paved highway.

Lowe's was crammed with stacks of paper towels, Pine-Sol, bleach, mops and every other kind of clean-up materials someone might need.

People were checking out of stores with buggies stacked with such items, as well as cheap grills and charcoal so they could cook something to eat."

svxfiles 06-28-2016 08:54 PM

At this end of The State things are just fine.
Actually The Potomac River is still low?!
Thanks for asking.:)

wdb 06-29-2016 07:01 AM

Glad to hear you're high and dry. Sorry to hear about the other parts of the state! :(

I worked flood cleanup extensively back in 1972 after Agnes. It's incredible to see what water can do. I saw entire neighborhoods of basements with no houses on top of them; they were carried away by the water. One 3-story apartment building was sitting cockeyed, I asked a local guy about it and he said "see that chain link fence? The building used to be on the other side of it!" The flood had picked the whole building up and dropped it 15 feet downstream. Lots and lots of other weird/eerie things. Lots and lots of people displaced from their homes.