The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Windshield washer spray not working (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30283)

Pearlywhites1992 12-14-2005 11:44 AM

Windshield washer spray not working

It's been this way for awhile. I don't think it's wax
or build-up in the nozzle, but possibly the motor in
the bottom of the sump. (?) Just wondering if anybody
else has had this problem....

SVXRide 12-14-2005 12:03 PM

there is fluid in the resevoir, right? :p

seriously, can someone with their ear near the washer resevoir hear the motor working when you push the fluid button? If they can't, check the fuse for the motor.
-Bill

Pearlywhites1992 12-14-2005 12:27 PM

can someone with their ear near the washer resevoir hear the motor working when you push the fluid button? If they can't, check the fuse for the motor.
Sounds stupid, but I've been meaning to. Now it's so damn cold, I can't get a volunteer! So I was wondering based on owners experiences, (why this site RULES!) if it was more apt to be the motor, or the fuse; which I would
think would have other items on it...and everything else seems fine.
Thanks for not calling me an idiot though...another reason this site is great!

Hocrest 12-14-2005 03:21 PM

I can hear my pump from inside the car?? Easiest to check is the fuse...

Budfreak 12-14-2005 05:04 PM

mine are screwed up from wax build up and I've stuck needles in them and everything and they still won't work right. Too cold to bother now.

Electrophil 12-14-2005 08:12 PM

Unplug the hose where it connects to the hood, prop it up where you can see it. Then peek through the hood to see if water sprays out of the hose. That will tell you which way to go.

My nozzles were gunked up when this happened to me.

Earthworm 12-15-2005 11:30 AM

I actually removed the nozzles and cleaned them out using wires.

Pearlywhites1992 12-15-2005 01:49 PM

Well the fuse looks good, and I don't hear the pump working, but when I get a chance I will disconnect the hose just to double-check before I try
to order a new pump. Thanks everyone!

mohrds 12-15-2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearlywhites1992
Well the fuse looks good, and I don't hear the pump working, but when I get a chance I will disconnect the hose just to double-check before I try
to order a new pump. Thanks everyone!

Check to make sure there is voltage at the pump before you spend money on a new one.

benebob 12-15-2005 06:45 PM

Its cold out here so I'm guessing you've been down in the single digits at night. Are you sure you haven't been getting by with putting water in it the last couple top offs? Those pumps rarely go so I'd say fluid, clog, fuse, relay, then power to the pump are the things to check in that order. As hocrest said though you should be able to here it in the cabin esp with the engine off.

Pearlywhites1992 12-16-2005 04:49 AM

Nope. I don't hear the pump working.
Yes, it in nasty out.

benebob 12-16-2005 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearlywhites1992
Nope. I don't hear the pump working.
Yes, it in nasty out.

Can you have someone put their hand on it when you push the button?

Pearlywhites1992 12-16-2005 11:50 AM

Can you have someone put their hand on it when you push the button?

Why, would they be able to feel the motor working?
Now I have an idiot light on: STOP LIGHT (!).
This is one I haven't seen before! My friend says all the brake lights work, except maybe two of those LED's on the wing.
So I figured I must've hit something looking in the fuse box, but there is no fuse for that! Everything seems fine, and in working order.
Any suggestions Oh Great Ones?! KuoH?
Geez, I JUST got rid of another darn idiot light two weeks ago!

benebob 12-16-2005 12:49 PM

If they put it on the motor you can tell if it is working or not. Like was said you should be able to hear it.

As for the stop light. CHECK YOUR BRAKE FLUID! Brake fluid takes up less volume when it is cold. If you're low the light comes on. It'll also come on if you have a bad brake light on older subies so I'd assume the same for the SVX.

Pearlywhites1992 12-16-2005 01:11 PM

CHECK YOUR BRAKE FLUID!

Thanks, I''l look.
I forgot to mention the idiot light only comes on when pressing the brake!