The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   scraping noise? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34430)

jman050 07-26-2006 07:53 PM

scraping noise?

I replaced my rotors a while back when I first got my car and ever since have had a scraping noise that sounds like it could be the rear passenger rotor. I removed the heat shield but the problem continues. What else could this be?

I think I need to replace some wheel bearing also because im getting a humming noise at highway speed. Are the rears usually the only ones that need replacing or all 4?

Hocrest 07-26-2006 08:03 PM

Maybe one of the dust shields got bent in against the rotor?

Manarius 07-26-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Maybe one of the dust shields got bent in against the rotor?

Yes, that's probably very likely.

You might also have a dragging e-brake pad. But that's pretty rare.

Usually it's the rears that go in terms of bearings. For some reason, the SVX's and the Legacy's eat them. Sure they say shipping grease but....

svxcess 07-27-2006 09:44 AM

I had the same slight, rhythmic scraping noise when I made left turns. I also had the Raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors and the Akebono Pro-ACT ceramic pads.

I took off the wheels and checked to see if the brake shield was bent, but it looked good. I could not see any place it was touching. My calipers were fine and the parking brake shoes were not rubbing. Car braking was fine and except for that slight annoying sound when turning, I had no complaints

So I took the car to my favorite SVX Master Tech at my dealer. If anyone could find it, he could. He took it for a test drive, came back to the shop and knew what the problem was.

It was a shield problem, but it was not bent. He showed me that the brake shields were not one piece of metal, but were made up of multiple plys. Age, moisture, etc. cause these to either swell, separate or warp. He also found a slightly raised are on the back of the Raceconcepts rotors, at the inner edge of the disk itself. He showed me the burnished marks on the back of the rotor AND the small area where the warped dust shield was rubbing. This raised edge contacted the warped brake shield at one point, about 1.5" in length, producing that sound.

He used a ball peen hammer and reformed the dust shield to give it the clearance from the rotor it originally had. He also ground down the raised lip on the inner edge of the back of the rotor. Reassembled everything. Noise completely gone!

If you pull off the back rotors, you should see the rub marks on the shield and/or the rotor. This is a fairly easy fix.

jman050 07-27-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
I had the same slight, rhythmic scraping noise when I made left turns. I also had the Raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors and the Akebono Pro-ACT ceramic pads.

I took off the wheels and checked to see if the brake shield was bent, but it looked good. I could not see any place it was touching. My calipers were fine and the parking brake shoes were not rubbing. Car braking was fine and except for that slight annoying sound when turning, I had no complaints

So I took the car to my favorite SVX Master Tech at my dealer. If anyone could find it, he could. He took it for a test drive, came back to the shop and knew what the problem was.

It was a shield problem, but it was not bent. He showed me that the brake shields were not one piece of metal, but were made up of multiple plys. Age, moisture, etc. cause these to either swell, separate or warp. He also found a slightly raised are on the back of the Raceconcepts rotors, at the inner edge of the disk itself. He showed me the burnished marks on the back of the rotor AND the small area where the warped dust shield was rubbing. This raised edge contacted the warped brake shield at one point, about 1.5" in length, producing that sound.

He used a ball peen hammer and reformed the dust shield to give it the clearance from the rotor it originally had. He also ground down the raised lip on the inner edge of the back of the rotor. Reassembled everything. Noise completely gone!

If you pull off the back rotors, you should see the rub marks on the shield and/or the rotor. This is a fairly easy fix.

Thanks ill check that out

mattski 07-28-2006 11:51 AM

Interesting. I have the same problem with a rubbing noise when making left turns. I took off the rotor but did not see anything. I will go back in and take a closer look, especially at the dust shield. Coincindentally, I also have the Raceconcepts D/S rotors and I am very happy with them. Perhaps they are slightly larger than stock rotors and coupled with a rusting shield, cause some rubbing.

svxcess 07-28-2006 07:58 PM

Look carefully around towards the center of the shield, closer to the lugs, not out at the edges. You should see an a shiny area where the center of the rotor rubs the shield.