The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   @#$*@#$!!! Binding problems!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6829)

$VX 11-05-2002 09:15 AM

@#$*@#$!!! Binding problems!!!

Since about ..eh... 4 days ago my car has started to have binding problems. I read about a capacitor it could be. ANyone have any idea on what to do to fix this? THe tranny has 40k on it.

- Ca$h

mohrds 11-05-2002 09:36 AM

I'd be willing to bet its not a capacitor, but a back pressure problem in the cooling circuit. The design of the tranny allows for excess pressure to bleed past the awd solenoid and allow the rear to engage under acceleration.

Try bypassing the external filter and cooler with a section of hose and two plastic tubing connectors from a local auto parts store. I bet the binding will go away. If it does, your filter, cooler or both are clogged.

I had binding for years until I bypassed the stock cooler with an aftermarket one. The binding stopped immediately and has never come back.

Doug

$VX 11-05-2002 11:33 AM

Have any pictures? I'm pretty sure my car has an aftermarket cooler already installed. I'm not sure though, because I can't trace the lines exactly, but I'm 90% sure it goes to the tranny. Or maybe not. Where is the A/C condensor/radiator looking thing located? In front of hte radiator? I have a small radiator looking thing in front of the radiator, and I'm not sure if its a tranny cooler or not. I can't see anything from the bottom. :|

- Ca$h

mattski 11-05-2002 11:53 AM

The small radiator in front of the large one is the condensor. My auxilary cooler is between them but others have different set ups. I think one way to check for the presence of an auxilary cooler is to take off the bottom shroud and see where the two lines from the tranny are connected to. If they both go between the radiator and tranny, then you do not have an auxilary cooler.

Does anyone have info which is the "in" and which is the "out" line?

Matt

mohrds 11-05-2002 12:03 PM

I have to look back on my timing belt change how-to which is still at home. It hasn't been finished, but it shows which line is pressure and which is return.

if you have a hard time tracing, one metal line running along driver's inner frame rail connects to the filter, that's the pressure. From the filter it will run to the driver's side of the radiator cooler, then out from the left side of the radiator cooler all the way back to the frame rail return line.

If these lines are all present, then you do not have an aftermarket cooler.

you can disconnect both hoses from the fraime rail steel lines and loop a hose between them to test my pressure theory. Its easiest to do from underneath the car.

Doug

mattski 11-05-2002 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
I
if you have a hard time tracing, one metal line running along driver's inner frame rail connects to the filter, that's the pressure.
Doug

I am trying to install a filter which is why I want to make sure I connect the pressure line to it. If you could check at home and provide this info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

$VX 11-05-2002 02:19 PM

I've searched the forums and found out it might be "Duty Soliniod C". Anyone know how hard this would be to replace? I have access to a lift. Any way to tell if its Duty Soloniod C or not? Ack.

- Ca$h

mattski 11-05-2002 02:23 PM

try:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=duty+solenoid

Matt

$VX 11-05-2002 02:49 PM

I did but I didn't even see Duty Solonoid C. :|

oab_au 11-05-2002 03:22 PM

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet its not a capacitor, but a back pressure problem in the cooling circuit. The design of the tranny allows for excess pressure to bleed past the awd solenoid and allow the rear to engage under acceleration.

Try bypassing the external filter and cooler with a section of hose and two plastic tubing connectors from a local auto parts store. I bet the binding will go away. If it does, your filter, cooler or both are clogged.

I had binding for years until I bypassed the stock cooler with an aftermarket one. The binding stopped immediately and has never come back.

Doug

Thats interesting Doug, I'll have to have a look into that. I know there was a problem with centrifugal force building pressure in the oil between the clutch plates to apply the transfer clutch. I think there was a mod done to fix the problem.

Harvey. ;)

mohrds 11-05-2002 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au

Thats interesting Doug, I'll have to have a look into that. I know there was a problem with centrifugal force building pressure in the oil between the clutch plates to apply the transfer clutch. I think there was a mod done to fix the problem.

Harvey. ;)

I'm not the only one to experience this phenomenon. I know of at least two others that have had this same problem/resolution.

Ca$h,

Why are you against trying a $4 test? You'd rather spend an entire day tearing apart the tranny to try removing a duty solenoid than try a 15 minute test? I don't get it.

Doug

$VX 11-05-2002 03:54 PM

What $4 test?!?!?

- Ca$h

mohrds 11-05-2002 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by $VX
What $4 test?!?!?

- Ca$h

bypassing the cooler and filter with a peice of hose.

Earthworm 11-05-2002 06:22 PM

Quote:

if you have a hard time tracing, one metal line running along driver's inner frame rail connects to the filter, that's the pressure. From the filter it will run to the driver's side of the radiator cooler, then out from the left side of the radiator cooler all the way back to the frame rail return line.
That's the opposite direction the fluid travels (in my case anyway).

mohrds 11-05-2002 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
That's the opposite direction the fluid travels (in my case anyway).
Maybe that's why mine clogged... ;)

Seriously, here's a diagram. They list the driver's side of the radiator as the "in". Does that mean in to the cooler or back in to the transmission?

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=450-B

Doug