The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   decisions, decisions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26811)

dcarrb 06-16-2005 12:57 PM

decisions, decisions

I have a line on a '92 LS pearlie, offered by a contributor to this forum. Needs some work but has a nearly-new transmission, and is priced very reasonably. My heart wants another SVX but my head tells me to save my nickels and dimes for the new roof and heat pump I'll soon be needing. (Old car, old house... there's always something.) And really, my second car needs to be a hauler. (Should have seen me load Dad's concrete bird bath into the trunk of my SVX.) I could really use someting for lugging trash to the dump and 2x4's and bags of concrete home from Home Depot. (Late '80s, 5 speed/AWD GL wagon with roof rack, where are you?)

I'm pitifully indecisive when it comes to spending real money. Somebody help me make up my mind.

dcb

Rotorflyr 06-16-2005 01:00 PM

Tough call, but given you could use a hauler, ya might be better off looking for a leg-wagon or GL-wagon (although a good deal on an SVX might be hard to pass on)
As for saving the pennies, don't matter if you buy a hauler, or another SVX, you won't be saving the pennies for the roof/heat pump (or any other home related item)

Canuck 06-16-2005 01:04 PM

Well .... being in a similar situation, wife, kids, family, house, job, yadda, yadda, yadda, the reality is that you can only drive one at a time right? We have two right now but may sell one because while my wife loves it, it's just not practical when you've got four kids. We too desperatley need a small truck to haul stuff around.

My vote is to stay with what you've got, find an old truck and save your $ to maybe do repairs/upgrades/mods to your current SVX.

My 2 cents woth.

benebob 06-16-2005 03:19 PM

Just call me the solution man.
http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4202

Don't laugh. A XT6 will hold 23 2x4x8's without having the pass side window open. Besides, you can get Huck to make you a hitch for like $100 or so in his next batch. This car will last forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noir 06-16-2005 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
I have a line on a '92 LS pearlie, offered by a contributor to this forum. Needs some work but has a nearly-new transmission, and is priced very reasonably. My heart wants another SVX but my head tells me to save my nickels and dimes for the new roof and heat pump I'll soon be needing. (Old car, old house... there's always something.) And really, my second car needs to be a hauler. (Should have seen me load Dad's concrete bird bath into the trunk of my SVX.) I could really use someting for lugging trash to the dump and 2x4's and bags of concrete home from Home Depot. (Late '80s, 5 speed/AWD GL wagon with roof rack, where are you?)

I'm pitifully indecisive when it comes to spending real money. Somebody help me make up my mind.

dcb

I say stick with repairing the house first. It's just an extra car anyways. However, if you are interested in a truck, let me know. I'm thinking about getting a quad cab diesel, so either I may put my truck for sale. :)

Ron Mummert 06-16-2005 08:50 PM

If you can get over the "image" problem, don't rule out an early to mid-'90s
van. The space & versatility of a van blows away a wagon, and any SUV. A loaded Dodge Caravan can be had for less than $2,500 in my area. Parts are plentiful, & when you're tired of it you can donate to any organization helping the homeless, so someone can at least live "in a van down by the river". :rolleyes:

Ron.

Rd96SVX 06-16-2005 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
If you can get over the "image" problem, don't rule out an early to mid-'90s
van. The space & versatility of a van blows away a wagon, and any SUV. A loaded Dodge Caravan can be had for less than $2,500 in my area. Parts are plentiful, & when you're tired of it you can donate to any organization helping the homeless, so someone can at least live "in a van down by the river". :rolleyes:

Ron.

LOL Ron... man, how I miss Chris Farley... good times, heck in that case All the old SNL *sniff*

And besides, you are absolutely right on all those points, but it is HARD to overcome the "image".. there's no way to be cool in a minivan

red95svx 06-17-2005 05:47 AM

Quote:

And really, my second car needs to be a hauler. (Should have seen me load Dad's concrete bird bath into the trunk of my SVX.) I could really use someting for lugging trash to the dump and 2x4's and bags of concrete home from Home Depot. (Late '80s, 5 speed/AWD GL wagon with roof rack, where are you?)

Get a hauler. I love my SVX, and would like to have bought another. Instead I bought my Outback. I haven't regretted it for a second. The Outback is superior in the snow, more comfortable in the cold (with the heated seats), and was very handy a few weeks back when we went camping in Maine (2 kayaks on the roof, 4 people, and a ton of stuff in the rear cargo area). You can't do that in the SVX!

Dave

thundering02 06-17-2005 09:11 AM

Hey Im interested but he will haveto do it in a split payment 250 now and 250 in one month (all my billls are commming up) in the xt-6 and I have to wait for the reg in my email

dcarrb 06-17-2005 11:48 AM

Aw, com'on... no arguments in favor of the SVX? Thrift and practicality gets to be so dull.

dcb

red95svx 06-17-2005 12:50 PM

Quote:

Thrift and practicality gets to be so dull.

dcb

Which is why I keep my SVX around. When I don't need to haul kayaks or people or whatever I drive the SVX. Get a beater!! They're fun! Keep your SVX mileage low!:)

Dave

thundering02 06-17-2005 12:57 PM

Quote:

Aw, com'on... no arguments in favor of the SVX? Thrift and practicality gets to be so dull.

dcb

Hey I called it hes now stuck with the SVX/truck enfavorment :D

Noir 06-17-2005 01:50 PM

Quote:

dcb

dude, you should get the svx cause it r0xx0rs!!!!!!!! ;)

NapaBavarian 06-17-2005 05:55 PM

Quote:

dcb

Srry, hadn't read this one yet. Get the pearlie, have 2 trailer hitches fabbed up, actually, have 10 made, put one on each car so no mater what car is broken down on any given day you can tow the $300 4x8 trailer you got from harbor freight arround with your junk in it, sell the other 8 hitches to pay for the first 2, justify prior plan 2 wifey (I know, it was easy till I got to that part) and u IZ done :D:D:D:D:D:D

Conn SVX 06-17-2005 06:58 PM

Who is making trailer hitches that will fit an SVX I need one.?