The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Completely waaaayyyy O.T. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3122)

SVXMAN2001 03-13-2002 12:22 PM

Completely waaaayyyy O.T.

Anyone in the professional accounting field,Iam a sophomore at the university of scranton, and this summer Iam going to be looking for internships in accounting related fields. My main career goal is to become a criminal investigation special agent, I have been doing a lot of calling to see what my options were, just wanted to see if anyone had any insight to help me out. Thanks in advance,
chris

Aredubjay 03-13-2002 12:38 PM

Re: Completely waaaayyyy O.T.

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
Anyone in the professional accounting field,Iam a sophomore at the university of scranton, and this summer Iam going to be looking for internships in accounting related fields. My main career goal is to become a criminal investigation special agent, I have been doing a lot of calling to see what my options were, just wanted to see if anyone had any insight to help me out. Thanks in advance,
chris

Good move, buddy. Lots o' people are always using their fraternity brothers to help them with stuff like this. I feel honored that you may consider us as such and trust us to help you out.

I can't help you personally, but, surely there's someone among our ranks that can help you. Anybody?

Meanwhile, it's too bad that there's no Greek letter for "V," or, we could be the fraternity of Sigma (Whatever) Chi. Of course, we could become Sigma Lambda Chi, with the "upside down" "V" in honour of our members from down under. :D

Green1995SVX 03-13-2002 12:59 PM

I was gonna make a similar request a while back - but i figured it wouldn't be appropriate... I got something lined up thru another source, though.

-Mike

Seraph 03-13-2002 01:22 PM

Re: Re: Completely waaaayyyy O.T.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Meanwhile, it's too bad that there's no Greek letter for "V," or, we could be the fraternity of Sigma (Whatever) Chi. Of course, we could become Sigma Lambda Chi, with the "upside down" "V" in honour of our members from down under. :D

I was not a member of a fraternity so I can not say I know this part but I was a member of an online organization Delta Omikron Roh Kappa once. It is a GIT based organization and if one is qualified, one can join it. :D

Lwin

Aredubjay 03-13-2002 02:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Completely waaaayyyy O.T.

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraphim

I was not a member of a fraternity so I can not say I know this part but I was a member of an online organization Delta Omikron Roh Kappa once. It is a GIT based organization and if one is qualified, one can join it. :D

Lwin

Just for future reference, if you post in the European forum, where all of our English/Irish buddies are, refrain from using the word "git." It just might get you in trouble. :D:D:D

I wan't a frat boy either . . . in fact, I never made it to college.:eek:

wawazat?? 03-13-2002 05:33 PM

Quote:

chris

Look up member Jim Cassin (I believe jmcassin screen name) he is a Special Agent with the Feds (Dept of Commerce I believe). He is also NY based. He is good to talk to.

There are lots of options as far as internships, but you are probably too late for most this summer. My wife interned at the US Customs office here in Detroit before she started law school. She spent time with the Secret Service and other groups and is still very interested in the FBI where most agents are attorneys. Best bet may be to contact one of these agencies in the area you wish to intern and explore opportunities.

Todd

rufus 03-13-2002 06:01 PM

Networking

One of my best friends is a Special Agent with the FBI. He followed a very similar education path to yours, although I think he did all of his internships with the FBI. If you want to send me your email address, I will try to get him in contact with you and see if he has any advice or leads. I have to warn you though; he and his wife are expecting their first baby any minute now, so he may not be too quick in getting back to you :D

sith 03-13-2002 06:43 PM

I plan to spend the summer sleeping and shooting video (including top secret svx project #1, shhh!) ... anybody want to pay me for that?

Hehe.. Chris - I've found that places are a lot more likely to hire for summer internship style work if you can talk to someone outside HR. A manager or someone who can see the value in starting to build ties with you that hopefully they can exploit once you graduate. HR folks seem to be a little more focused on "do you meet X X and X requirements" ... offering to work cheap helps too :)

EverclearAtMSU 03-13-2002 06:49 PM

Quote:

chris

i'm an accountant for MSU :) I dont quite see the relationship in being a special agent and accounting, unless your doing accounting for CI...

SVXMAN2001 03-13-2002 08:11 PM

Wow, guys thank you for all your help, everclearat msu, accounting and law related people is exactly what the fbi and especialy CID is looking for, trust me I've looked long and hard into this field career and this is what they requested I had.
chris

Aredubjay 03-13-2002 10:37 PM

Quote:

Wow, guys thank you for all your help, everclearat msu, accounting and law related people is exactly what the fbi and especialy CID is looking for, trust me I've looked long and hard into this field career and this is what they requested I had.
chris

Good luck on your career, Chris. I wanted to be Forensic Pathologist before I found out I had to have a medical degree :). Didn't understand why a degree was important to cut up dead people. I mean, don't they make a Chiltons for the Human Anatomy? :D

Just kidding -- really, good luck.