The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A Few Questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26722)

cryogenik 06-10-2005 09:02 PM

A Few Questions

Just picked up my car about a week ago (loving it by the way) and was wondering, if its a better idea to switch to a full synthetic oil instead of the usual everyday oil..

Secondly, how many of you actually put in the 93 octane gasoline in your car?

Finally, when it comes to transmission fluid, i know that the Summit 4126 Tranny Cooler is what i want when it comes to cooling, but is there a specific brand that anyone uses?

SVXRide 06-10-2005 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryogenik
Just picked up my car about a week ago (loving it by the way) and was wondering, if its a better idea to switch to a full synthetic oil instead of the usual everyday oil..

Secondly, how many of you actually put in the 93 octane gasoline in your car?

Finally, when it comes to transmission fluid, i know that the Summit 4126 Tranny Cooler is what i want when it comes to cooling, but is there a specific brand that anyone uses?

Cryo,
If the engine is leaking oil in any way, I'd steer away from full synthetic. You might want to PM Larry III, as I know he uses synthetic in his SVXes.
I think you'll find that everyone - short of those with the 87 octane option of ECU Tune's Stage 1 chip enabled - is running high test.
Do a search of the site for the trans cooler info - alot of people are running B&M coolers, the model number depends a lot on whether you're going to mount in in front of the radiator or in the driver's wheel well.
-Bill

ensteele 06-10-2005 10:14 PM

I use a synthetic blend in my engines so they won't leak. I also use premium fuel. :)

KCROGUEDOG 06-10-2005 11:21 PM

premuim fuel is a must. my car runs sluggish without it and who wants that. premuim is also suspose to burn slower and last longer. :rolleyes: sure its expensive but show the car some love it will need it. or buy the ecu chip that will save u some cash in the long run to run 87 oct(unleaded).

thundering02 06-11-2005 11:11 AM

Subaru doesn't recommend synthetic and I know of to many cars getting switched and all tecrud being cleaned out and then every thing leaks and you end up going through a quart a week. So I say don't do it

Earthworm 06-11-2005 04:51 PM

You will get opinions for either side. I personally use full synthetic because of it's added range/durability. (try changing the oil outside at -35 with frozen conventional oil) :D

I use the highest octane fuel available when I fill (usually 92 except for the one place that has 94).

As for the tranny cooler, I believe most people got theirs from Summit.

thundering02 06-11-2005 07:21 PM

My cooler was from advance auto you may not have it -35 with reg oil yeah thats understandable 93 octane exists right acros the street

Earthworm 06-13-2005 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundering02
...you may not have it -35 with reg oil...

No but he'll be pretty high on the other end of the thermometer. :)

Mr. Pockets 06-13-2005 09:51 AM

I use Mobil 1 in my SVX, despite the fact that it comes out of every seal on the engine. I only lose maybe a quart a year. But then I only change my oil once a year because I only drive the car about 3-4k miles in that time.

Oh, and I use premium unleaded only. It hurts, but that's one of the reasons I don't drive the car much. :)

NikFu S. 06-13-2005 10:34 AM

I've always used Castrol Syntec. Nothing else has gone in there.
I leak, but for some reason whenever I check the dipstick it reads the same :confused: so it must be a verrrryyy ssssllloowwww leak from the top.

I used 92 Premium until it was no longer available due to "health reasons" and importation costs. I now use 90 with a double dose of octane booster with some success.

Got my tranny cooler from AutoZone over the internet. (: