The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Turbo Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Turbo SVX... question(s) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36495)

SVX-elerate 12-11-2006 12:13 PM

Turbo SVX... question(s)

Alright, my plan for my SVX is this- 5/6speed tranny swap, weight redux (significant weight redux!!!!), and a turbo setup of some sort (with supporting mods of course.) My question is this- is this engine stout enough to handle the loads of more fuel/air? I'm not planning on running 25psi or anything, something along the lines of 8-14psi respectively. I'm just concerned with the actual bottom end (if you will, lol. not sure boxer6's have a "bottom end") and whether or not it will hold up to the extra stress of forced induction. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Lucas

huck369 12-11-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX-elerate
Alright, my plan for my SVX is this- 5/6speed tranny swap, weight redux (significant weight redux!!!!), and a turbo setup of some sort (with supporting mods of course.) My question is this- is this engine stout enough to handle the loads of more fuel/air? I'm not planning on running 25psi or anything, something along the lines of 8-14psi respectively. I'm just concerned with the actual bottom end (if you will, lol. not sure boxer6's have a "bottom end") and whether or not it will hold up to the extra stress of forced induction. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Lucas

The EG33 has 7 main bearing and only 6 cylinders....the bottom end is plenty strong for the range of boost you're talking....but it does have hi compression pistons...so engine management and a IC is definitely needed...

SVXRide 12-11-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX-elerate

-Lucas

Lucas,
The road has been paved for your adventure. Everything you've stated has been done to date, just not all on one car;) I'd suggest using the "Search" feature of the site to bring yourself up-to-date. Phil has a running turbo set up, Mike/Old Tom/Young Tom are all running superchargers with between 8 and 12 psi of boost, LAN of ECUTune has the only software available for our ECU. Dave/Ben and Matt have taken just about every pound possible out of their SVXi - both cars still running NA. Young Tom is the current 5/6 spd go-to guy, while Old Tom is the 4.44 AT go-to guy.
-Bill

SVX-elerate 12-12-2006 12:23 AM

Ah, thank you. Sorry about not searching. I failed to notice that feature, lol.

TomsSVX 12-13-2006 04:29 PM

Running more than 10psi is gonna be really tough... I roasted my motor running 12psi with my blower...

Tom

Phast SVX 12-13-2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Running more than 10psi is gonna be really tough... I roasted my motor running 12psi with my blower...

Tom

I would tentativily place 10psi as the limit for stock internals on GOOD pump gas. What i mean by this limit...

Use your ears and your senses, but dont be suprised if it goes kaboom. I plan on running 9psi on pump gas( have previously ran 3.5ish and 9.5ish) and 11 psi on E85 at the track, fuel permitting(should not be a problem as i switch over to 2v7F)

phil