The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why no pics in our sigs? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32430)

Ricochet 04-01-2006 03:24 PM

Why no pics in our sigs?

I know pics belong in lockers, but I'm a unique human being.. I'm my own person and I want to express myself further. Please lift the oppressive no-pic signature law!

ensteele 04-01-2006 03:58 PM

The main reason is speed of loading this by people who have dial up instead of fast cable or DSL. The other is memory. :) You will have to express yourself with your avatar. ;)

Electrophil 04-01-2006 05:10 PM

The other reason is you are too dag-gone ugly of a post ho' for the rest of us to deal with looking at everyday. :p

Ricochet 04-01-2006 05:23 PM

Put a size limit on them, like a 200x350 max and have moderators enforce it. That's what we do on my local forum..

It's Just Eric 04-01-2006 05:26 PM

On the cadillac boards theres people with signatures that are like a page long becasue they rape the hell out of them with pictures. Im with earl n this one

HighwayUFO 04-02-2006 01:30 AM

On Idahostreetracing.com they seem to work without people taking advantage of it. I say we give it a try for a month and see if it works out ok.

immortal_suby 04-02-2006 09:32 AM

We did sigs with pictures a year or so ago. It was abused and then we took it off. Makes it a pain to read the forums also since you have to scroll even further.

Ricochet 04-02-2006 01:31 PM

I'd rather see pictures of your svx's more than read some of the posts people make though :)

Chris 04-02-2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighwayUFO
On Idahostreetracing.com they seem to work without people taking advantage of it. I say we give it a try for a month and see if it works out ok.

When I get a system in place that will allow for regular income (not profit) to offset operational costs, I will do this. But as it stands, we are in a big hole and pictures will add a large load to server I/O and bandwidth.

Electrophil 04-02-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris
When I get a system in place that will allow for regular income (not profit) to offset operational costs, I will do this. But as it stands, we are in a big hole and pictures will add a large load to server I/O and bandwidth.

I'm not a proponent for putting pictures in my signature, I'm a little too ugly for that. But as for helping with the financials of the site, I will help. I'm sure quite a few will. Just make it voluntary, and then the ones who donate have their names in a different color to signify their support, or some other way to differentiate them. :)

I've just never been asked my self, and have no idea on the finances of the site. But I'd help for sure.

Chris 04-02-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil
I'm not a proponent for putting pictures in my signature, I'm a little too ugly for that. But as for helping with the financials of the site, I will help. I'm sure quite a few will. Just make it voluntary, and then the ones who donate have their names in a different color to signify their support, or some other way to differentiate them. :)

I've just never been asked my self, and have no idea on the finances of the site. But I'd help for sure.

I/we are waiting for Jim to finish some code work. When the programing is complete and tested (to make sure we dont break anything live) we will have a program to allow just that (and more). The sign up will be for a "paid" account. The forums will remain free. Paid account people will have added services as well as a marking on the forums showing a paid or donating status on their handle.

Electrophil 04-02-2006 05:38 PM

perfect! :)

ensteele 04-02-2006 08:51 PM

The new stuff on the horizon will be 1st class like always. :) :)

Landshark 04-02-2006 09:37 PM

some people's half-page text signatures are annoying enough - i can't wait for the giant annoying pics, too. :rolleyes:

this place will look like a Honda board.

Chris 04-02-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
some people's half-page text signatures are annoying enough - i can't wait for the giant annoying pics, too. :rolleyes:

this place will look like a Honda board.

If all goes well, it will be a users viewing preference in their control panel. Each member will be able to turn their picture viewing "spam" option on or off in the way of the additional sigs.

That way if someone with a "metric butt ton" of SVX's (I point NO fingers :D :cool: ) wants a 2000 character signature, they can save it as an image file and only people that want to see it will. :eek: (not that I dont have a metric butt ton of crap in mine referencing racing ;) )